Are bots just for farming?

Let me reiterate because I dont think you understood what I meant.

Its not important whether something is humanly impossible, its important whether service provider is capable of collecting specific data that would be a basis to deny someone the service.

Im not an expert on legal systems but I can imagine that if such data cant be collected (for whatever reason) and Blizzard stills bans someone (thus denying them service) they can potentially expose themselves to someone suing them.

Think of it this way: suppose I can get my family and a few cousins to play my account non stop for few weeks without relogging and logging in with a different IP address or PC details. Obviously I am breaking ToS, obviously im doing what no human possibly can, but the question is is it possible to provide sufficient data showing im breaking ToS, considering that I dont think it includes a maximum number of hours one is allowed to spend online.

With that comment then they ban everyone so no one plays. Great idea but I wonder how many players that are legit would buy the next Diablo game.

You really believe that Blizz couldn’t possibly do anything that would cause us to never buy another Blizz game. I wonder what you have been drinking or where you have been for the last few years.

The amount of time that we play this game is collected and displayed for all to see in our profiles in the game.

Just wanted to thank you for your posts in this thread - because of the honesty.

It’s amazing to me how many people on this forum complain about botting but have very little understanding of it. Many probably don’t realize that some on their friends list bot as well (some probably do realize it and just hope that the bot account invites them to a game).

Not only the 4 man bot method, but cookies - it’s that simple. You set your bot to farm keys/gear, you come home from work and do some exp runs or solo grifting, you have huge amounts of bounty mats from cookies to simply roll over and over.

And because (this is the line I have been reading here) it is so hard to prove that the person is botting from Blizzard’s side (this I find hard to believe - more likely Blizzard just doesn’t want to devote real resources to it) barely anyone gets banned unless it is an egregious case, like a streamer forgetting to turn off the bot when he goes to sleep or something.

It is what it is: the community needs to band together in order to provide solid reports of bots, but I’ll say it bluntly: the community is not a homogeneous group - plenty of people bot (far more than the average player thinks) and nothing is really or ever done about it, I think, because of that.

ShadowAegis, I will try to go over all your straw man logical fallacies one by one. (1) You say, “With that comment then they ban everyone so no one plays. Great idea but I wonder how many players that are legit would buy the next Diablo game.” This is the same illogical fallacy that gun advocates tout. If someone wants to increase background checks, for instance, the fearful gun owner foams at the mouth, “They want to take ALL my guns away and do away with the second amendment.” That is a logical fallacy just like yours. Yours is even worse, because it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I am talking about Blizzard doesn’t need evidence to ban bots. Which is true. You go on a ridiculous tangent talking about banning everyone, just like fearful gun owners. BTW: Diablo can decide to shut down the Diablo servers and give up on the game (essentially banning everyone) and my bet is people will still play Destiny II, Overwatch, WOW and the other games. Not that Blizzard will do that.

(2) You say, “You really believe that Blizz couldn’t possibly do anything that would cause us to never buy another Blizz game. I wonder what you have been drinking or where you have been for the last few years.” This is another straw man logical fallacy. I made no comment about doing anything to stop people from buying another game. My comment was to suggest that CURRENT Diablo players are not going to stop playing Diablo (not a fictional future game as you suggest) just because they ban bots or institute rule changes to discourage bots. Please, if you want to be taken seriously in a debate, please stick to logical arguments. Thank you

1 Like

Skyfall, I did not suggest putting a max # hours on the game and BAN people who play longer than that. I was only suggesting you can put a max # hours and if you go over that, you get no ancient/primal/set loot and no paragon during those extra hours. I would never suggest banning people who go over. You are right that the TOS does not set a max # hours to get banned, so don’t worry, it won’t happen. Though ShadowAegis seems to go in wild, overblown rants over the littlest things, I don’t think he was even suggesting a ban JUST for playing more than a max # hours.

You like to work overtime and don’t get payed?

Why is it someone says Blizzard could ban you for no reason and you go Oh well just ban everybody, is there no middle ground with you?, just take things to the extreme then take it to stupid levels

Even though the rules say that Blizz could wake up tomorrow and ban everyone. They won’t do it because it would destroy the sales of future Diablo games.

Shutting down servers of Diablo games wouldn’t have the same impact as banning everyone for no reason at all.

You were stating that they don’t care about what you called petty backlash. We are not going anywhere implies that we will still keep buying Diablo games regardless of how they make them or what they do with their current games. That they can take the attitude of we don’t care about your feedback at all.

I bet you think that the backlash of last years Blizzcon was petty. I bet that it has molded what they will be doing at Blizzcon this year. In fact I do believe that they will be singing a different tune. We will not hear of any news of Diablo: Immortal until after they are through talking about the future of D3 and D4. Diablo: Immortal will be more of an afterthought if it is mentioned at Blizzcon at all.

He was making a statement like if they were to ban someone for no reason it wouldn’t hurt Blizz at all. It would have zero impact. Try doing that extreme and see what happens.

Is it true just because you say so? I think you are falling short in your statement.

Yeah ONE person, and you have to go ban everyone

So you have to go to the extreme and then go to stupid levels with your ban everyone because?

Not at all. I use mine to propagate, for example.

1 Like

I never intended to imply it should, my point was that the fact that time spent online is a poor metric when talking about punishing bots.

Banning a few players for no reason may not have a huge impact. But doing it to a lot will. That is why they will never exercise their right to do so. That is also why they need more proof than just time to ban someone for botting.

That depends on how much time we are talking about.

Well put Sir, Where do I sign?