Angelic, Demonic and Ancestral stats are a bad design choice

I really don’t like the idea that you’re 100% based upon RNG on items… It will be a Vanilla D3 mess again… People will start maximizing basic stats over everything again since the chances of dropping what you’re looking for might be… 1%

ESPECIALLY if the game allows drops for other classes you might not play as… Besides - it’s really just a grinding-delay, nothing else… Hey look I got these boots they’re great, oh sh*t they require ancestral to unlock the proc I want, what a shame, will stash and look for same/similar like these just unlocked by Demonic (or Angelic) instead

Bottom line being:

You wanna make stats IMPACT the builds/choices/progression, not just delay suitable loot, that’s a very important difference (at least to me tbh)

1 Like

Thats always the case
But without locking it to an rng stat

NOT if both require the … say Demonic power at… 70

Say angelic 70 might unlock things like Fire spells conflagrate the ground which heal you for X% damage dealt or say +1 to Manashield (if such a thing) and Mana Regen

Ancestral might be like, chance to multicast a certain spell… OR chance to summon a meteor at impact location… OR, chance to explode corpses on burning opponents

Things like that… :slight_smile:

Sure it’s a “longer route” but it’s a CLEAR DIFFERENCE of playstyle I’d say… One route gives you devastation of spells and weakens opponents, other route gives you self-buffs, and 3rd route gives special procs that give you temporary bonuses, NO MATTER the skill

Thing is (again), they clearly need to divide each power route to not unlock same things (otherwise everything would be endless-grind related but still able to find what you look for) I’d say

If they lock elements to powers like this, the concept will fail them.

3 Likes

I can’t agree with fixed loot indexes. If playing a druid an item drops with benefit to a barbarian skills’ class, great. If I’m playing a druid and items only drop that a druid can use - yuck. I get the impression that people don’t want to be disappointed by RNG. That’s a tough pill to swallow because it will always happen with the fluctuation that is randomness. Delaying suitable loot will always happen with rng.

1 Like

Disagree

I can see the “hardcore grind” commit concept for some but guess what - it just got 3 times greater

NOW you’d have 5 classes x3 unlocking powers = 15 “classes” for items, so yeah, they either need cut down one or the other, and I’d frankly keep the ADA Power concept and cut down on the “randomness” of classes, you’d still have 33% of finding the right unlock for you, but again, if everything would unlock everything, what’s the point of going one route (or the other)… ?

I had a difficult time deciphering this example but you seem to have it understood pretty well to conclusively say that this concept will fail them. Perhaps you can elaborate for me as to why (even if others have already attempted to do so).

How in the name of everything that is holy are we going to associate the added perk of a base power association with class? So long as every class is able to benefit from either of the three powers, I am still failing to understand what is being requested here. If it takes forever and a day to acquire the perfect set of gear for the exact distribution of skills/talents for the class I’m playing - still preferable than endlessly acquiring artificial paragon experience.

How do you NOT get it though ?, what is so hard to understand ?

Perks/Buffs and bonuses should CLEARLY DIFFER one route from another, meaning 100% ancestral Barb (Max level) should have 1 type of buffs, 100% Angelic Barb should have other perks/buffs (again, Max level), and 100% Demonic Barb should have (again DIFFERENT buffs and skill unlocks/perks) DESPITE all three of them going for Whirlwind build

So, again, IF they make same bonuses unlock from all the powers (just different RNG) then what’s the bloody point by “praying” to one RNG God or another ?, they just made a RNG-game be 3 times RNG-er

What is difficult to understand is the amount of hypothetical speculation that is being presented matter-of-factly. I don’t think blizzard has a problem with keeping RNG or for making more rng for that matter. Not sure how to respond with the disdain for it - I agree with you, but I’m a realist and don’t expect it to go anywhere. Embracing it then…what happens if there is a mixture of what affix are attuned to what powers? For instance, resistances can be found on and the prerequisite met by any of the three powers. You could then have specific powers unlocked by specific powers and even shuffle those around. If the argument here is about RNG being evil then we can cease and desist in partial agreement. We can also agree to disagree regarding how items drop in the game. We probably shouldn’t speculate further on how affix will be assigned to items however.

The main part that will fail would be related to linking types of elements to thematic families in the game. For instance, having Demonic be the presence that gives fire resistance is a limiting factor, but needing X Demonic power to unlock an affix is an enabling factor.

They cannot tie specific types of resistances, damage or specific skills because it takes away the fantasy of self design and build goals. It would essentially work like sets do now, locking specific items into each slot.

Thus, it would be beneficial to have the ability for either power to give any resistance, any damage mod, or any +skill affix which opens the player choice spectrum.

4 Likes

I’m fine with being wrong tbh, the point is to give IMPORTANT NOTES to keep in mind, not just try to be 100% right lol, this is a feedback forum not an annual convention (or consortium) of scientists…

I posted my posts to (again) “give feedback” about pros & cons of the system and what (IMO) should be kept in consideration when “messing around” with it…

So far “identified” 3 things:

1. Put all types of resistance on the “angelic” tree (that was the “survival tree” no ?), or just unlock resistances as a different stat not-related to any powers what-so-ever
  2. Have a CLEAR DISTINCTION to which power unlocks which perk and have them ALL DIFFER… Not have one item unlocks Fire Res by AP the other by DP or vice versa for say… Cold Res… IF THAT is the case then that’s super bad cause you basically made same game 3 times and players would that “the real game” would give them the stats
  3. IF making sure different powers would unlock different buffs/bonuses/perks then MAYBE would be cool to let the user know/have-a-feeling what they might be getting into later in the game by having a “power-tree visual” in front of them (again, the link I presented)

https://imgur.com/a/BPvMROo

There, have that kind of a screen be used for a skill-tree-progression visual, you start at the middle toward either of the ends, at each end you can CLEARLY see what gets unlocked as you progress (perhaps have some unlock or swap later on with certain items but overall you’d KNOW which perks you’d gain later on as in each tree you’d further progress)

Again, I’m not trying to be right, I’m just stating what are the potential mistakes and/or main/major concerns and important things that should be taken into consideration when having/using (or building) such a system, that’s a feedback no ?, so that’s what I’m doing tbh

No because its not new cool things
Its the same stuff u would have got anyway
Fire damage, crit chance, attack speed, +xskill but you need to unlock it
If you want it to be special stuff and effects, blizzard didnt plan that yet

1 Like

Well, I hope they at least do that cause the mechanic they went for has one condition to succeed and that is: it’s super important (at least to me) to make every skill work with every build BUT with different effects

And (IMO) it’s super important to make sure powers unlock different things in order to achieve that… :thinking: :slight_smile:

This is the impression I gathered from the presentation of the concept. That this was how it was intended to be.

I’m with you here on having a healthy debate on the pros and cons of the proposed concept. However I don’t follow external links posted on forums so you’ll have to imbed the visual into the post if I am to check it out. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hard to know for sure, the text they used was only an example, the sample size was very small, and no description identified it as an affirmative action.

That is why we need to make sure they DO NOT group all these things to specific powers. I want more fun open build opportunities.

For example, if Demonic gave fire resistance, I run a fire dungeon, but I am not a DoT build, then you are limiting me because my damage does not match my required gear for proper resistances.

External links are links, not text lol

If someone wants to “inject” malicious stuff or script then has to post an actual clickable link lol in which if you’re careful you could easily see the hint on hover before the click

It’s just a regular imgur lol, but it’s ok… In general I support your principle but don’t be afraid from text lol, it’s links that you shouldn’t click :slight_smile:

I agree with you. I too want more fun open build opportunities. I feel the concept of this system provides that, or at-least, with some fine-tuning, can provide that.

1 Like

Nothing to do with fear just a practice I don’t adopt. I don’t answer phone calls from numbers not in my contact list either. I never will. For the simple fact that if it is important enough they’ll leave a voicemail, then I can determine the significance of the call.