Angelic, Demonic and Ancestral stats are a bad design choice

I’m not asking for it to be as good, I’m asking that it is a possibility, that it can beat the content. Even better if I’m creative enough, that it might be able to work in PvP or compete in ladder racing/farming. I’ve been saying the whole time, the balance is key. I’ve also been saying the whole time, that I’m just afraid that the combination of bundles of affixes + poor balance will kill diversity.

if they change their mind? probably
but making it completely random will somewhat make the whole system…meaningless besides the primary passive effect
so you will just choose a primary effect and try to find items, that only support that primary effect
also a lot of farming, more rng, not so much trad off, just more farming
also fine to me xD

Sounds a lot like main stat farming! Better add smart loot! :joy:

Yup!

Imbalances are a killjoy, I get it.

I happen to be diverse enough to utilize the current flavor of overpowered, so it doesn’t bother me. My strategies in blizzard strategy games often get nerfed hard. Example: Reaver drops in starcraft (thanks Zileas aka stimmed_zealot)
Another example: Gargoyle rush in Warcraft 3. Another example: Dark templar rush in starcraft.

It is just the name of the game. A crap shoot as they try and even things out.

except that you are choosing your main stat by yourself :stuck_out_tongue:
but yes xD

Sure, I played a ton of Broodwar/SC2. Was weird when PvP turned into fast expo, I much preferred the reaver days. Although a DT expo build with darkarchons I did was hilariously fun.

I don’t follow meta builds in ARPG.(Not that I don’t make some of them) Part of why I love GrimDawn so much. You just have so many options, it’s disgustingly fun for my style of character development.

1 Like

It is another reason why I feel more important than balancing the game gasp is preventing cheaters from cheating. Map hacking killed one of the, if not the greatest strategy game of all time (starcraft) for me. Overcoming the odds with fog of war being one sided is atrociously difficult in a game of atrophy and hard counters.

True, but what I loved about it so much was that at the end of the day, skill, knowledge, and practice often still won out. I could’ve given vision to many of my opponents, and still would’ve beat them. The fun died for me when I climbed too high, and many of the more “fun” builds just don’t work. When missing 1 macro key during a fight loses you the match. When I’m rocking 200+ apm without spam, and still need to move faster. When I felt like I needed 4-5 warmup games before hitting the ladder.

I enjoyed playing ICCUP a lot along with all the different clans, where cheaters were less prevalent. But again, once I hit the A- Ranks, top 10 masters for SC2, the fun started to die.

Right. Have you ever tried to dark templar rush someone that was map hacking? I’m talking all-in dt rush. As soon as the game allows you to have them, often putting you at risk of losing to an early rush, but winning the game if pulled off correctly, being thwarted by an all of a sudden panic to get detection up? DT rush was my favorite in starcraft 2. I liked being efficiently effective. There would be games where I’d just lose interest in spending my resources (macromanagement) because I was so immersed in utilizing the micromanagement. I hear ya though. Highly competitive at the top, and that is because the game enabled such greatness of execution. I yearn for the day that an rpg provides the same, where truly talented individuals can demonstrate excellence.

can you stop chatting RTS in this topic? :confused:
blizzard might consider it irrelevant

Of course. Wasn’t like 2:13 the fastest? Using Zealots and probes to hold the ramp. The best is when both of you went fastest DTs possible.

Yup. Scarab wars. Dt drops. Muta stacks etc. M&M/vessel vs lurker/defiler/ling/scourge

Same. HOTS and beyond really put the axe to that genre I think.

Ok! I’ll stop :smiley: or atleast sprinkle in some D4.

Well we’ve reached an impasse. Who said it already “if they want more feedback they got to give us more information”

Do we get another update before February? Or was that 2nd update going to hold us over until then?

My original point that you started replying to was that not every stat needs to be useful to every build in the game, because that leads to generic stats.

The other point I was making that you replied to saying we should debate more about conceptual stuff is that Demonic Power will affect frost spells via freeze/slow, but that Demonic Power may need reworking because average mobs in the game seem to only last around 1 second at most(suggesting that debuff duration wont mean a whole lot).

Which I’d call a stat fundamentally flawed if the very basis of what it does is not very useful.

You folks think it’s bad on paper, well go take a look at World of Warcraft’s current raid gear progression system. It’s called Corruption, and it basically has a similar effect to what is being discussed in this thread. The players aren’t finding it enjoyable, especially after the latest changes made a lot of previously desireable items essentially gone from builds because their revamped Corruption requirements are so out of step with their usefulness that they’ll never be used again.

That’s where these three extra “main stats” are headed. That’s not where we want to see D4 go before it’s even out of the gate. I know they’re essentially spitballing ideas right now, which is awesome since it’s super early in the development phase, but this is seriously one idea that should be spitballed right into the roundfile at Warp 9.9.

The one thing that confused me in the two items presented is that Fire Resist was unlocked by Demonic Power (as opposed to by Angelic)

They clearly say that self-buffs and health stats were on the Angelic “tree” only to find down below that Fire Resist somehow/someway belongs to DP

OK, here’s MY problem - they need remove the Resistances from the Power shifts/choices cause liked it to admit or not on higher diffs and higher levels we’d need them ALL: :P, don’t mind if they separate the skills like that or have some weird/er twists to it like say higher single target DPS being Ancestral, higher AoE damage being Demonic, self-heal would-be Angelic procs what-so-ever, BUT, The resistances should Proooobably not belong in that one

Also - DON’T intermix these with Str/Dex/Int, they’re MUCH BETTER approach, as you can have C/D/A route (C means Celestial here b.t.w. :D) possible for each and every class

What they DIDN’T specifiy though is WHERE would the C/D/A points come from, whether or not we’d be able to choose our own C/D/A points by character leveling (say like 2 or 3 per level) or it’s strictly-100% gear-based system…

1 Like

they just copied the corruption system from wow and added in 2 extra stats

i love how they say they haven’t even tested half the stuff they say they’re doing and are just expecting us to accept it like it’s finalized.

“we know you hate attack and defence because it’s designed for 2 year olds, so we’re keeping attack and defence because we think diablo GAYMERS are 2 year olds” lmao what a joke of a company.

Angelic power should not be equivalent to picking a class though. If there was no classes already, maybe that could have worked. But there is.
Classes really shouldn’t lock you out of most stats either, since each stat still works on each class (to varying degrees).

Exactly.
Though maybe not even easy/hard to achieve. But rather possible/impossible to achieve.

Eh, why not? If strength for example is required to equip items, such as a big War Staff and it also could give phys dmg reduce and a faster stronger swing with melee weapons, why not have a sorc with melee skills like enchant to add element dmg to weapon? Basically this would make a Sorc an elemental char but melee mode.

You could possibly make all of the stats be viable to all classes at some point if there is enough builds. Sure, if you are a ranger and your build relies to stay away as far as possible from the enemies (let’s say you’ve got items that encourage you to be far since you deal more dmg that way) maybe then STR is not viable in this build.

There are werebear? sorcs in D2 with enchant and crushing blow that murder ubers :smiley: Just be creative with your game.

1 Like

Not every stat has to be for everyone o.o whats the matter?
You also wont pick so much energy as a melee fighter, vit as a ranger and so, str as mage
Its not necessary to “balance” the use of attributes like freakin ying and yang