Angelic, Demonic and Ancestral stats are a bad design choice

How is that even the case?

because all those affixes are eighter unlocked by demonic, angelic or ancestral

And how does that separate build into 3 pools?

1 pool is angelic, 1 pool is demonic and 1 pool is ancestral
ofc you can try to stack all 3 powers, to choose affixes and +skillpoints out of all 3 pools but you will not be able to get enough of them
so you will eventually just choose 1 of them, to stack higher numbers

How do you even come to that conclusion with having playtested it? A lot factor into this from skills to talents.

its not about ā€œsomething comes from somethingā€ people will try to min max and then, they will be stuck in those 3 pools

1 Like

What are you even talking about? Of course you will be stuck with these 3 pools because there are 3 pools in the whole game.

It may very well turn out like you hit breakpoints for x and y to get certain affixes then put the rest into C if possible because outside of unlocking your desired affixes C is the most valuable for you based on its raw properties.

You donā€™t know how the min-max will turn out because you donā€™t know what affixes are the best for what builds. Certain builds may require you have to high in both angelic and demonic just to get the desired strong affixes.

Go play D2 then?

The talent tree in D2 was minimalist at best and the game has tonnes of glaring faults.

The talent treeā€™s that were in the demo need some more depth and interlinking branches / twigs.

But, purely putting things into the talent tree because thatā€™s where you assume all depth / customisation should be is weak game design and limits the potential to mix and match between multiple avenues of customisation.

Diablo 4ā€™s survive-ability and brilliance should be in multiple avenues, some are as follows:

1. Talent Trees
  2. Skill Trees / Skill level
  3. Itemisation / kiss/curse
  4. Runewords
  5. Gems / legendary gems
  6. Professions / crafting
  7. Mastery Trees (heaven forbid call them paragon, but no infinite system and make them far more than base stats / affixes)

And then the game should have repeatability through a range of activites with similar if not equal weighting.

you cant compare it with x y and c
its not about, you cant have everything together
ofc not, look
we have asdfghjkl you can only have 3 of them
without the powersystem you can choose a, g and k

with the power system you can eighter go a,s,d/f,g,h or j,k,l and no other way
understand?

1 Like

No I donā€™t. You can choose everything. You just donā€™t get powerful in all directions. I think you are confused. You seem to think that going for affixes aligned on the same side will be the way to go when we donā€™t know that.

well, it depends on the required points in endgame
if you can possibly stack only 200 points overall
and every affix in an endgame item needs 150 points, to unlock it, you can only get the affix of 1 power and half of the points from an other power
so you can only unlock 1 pool
thats the question

I donā€™t disagree with what your saying. I think your misunderstanding me. Iā€™m not saying to only have a skill tree like in D2 and just add more skills or synergies to it. Iā€™m saying to add another tree called the talent tree that lets you augment your skills. Keep the D2 skill tree but add another. If every skill in D2s skill tree were viable options there would be PLENTY of customization. For example with druid in D2 the ravens skill you get early on is good early game but sucks late game the talent tree could be used to make that skill completely different or stronger and do the same for every skill in the skill tree via talents. Everything else u said I agree with completely I just donā€™t think you need to add those augmentations to items. Items should be like in D2 with + to skills or DS or CB.
And I am playing D2 tmrw is ladder reset.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the balancing act. Why would you have to make it so you can only possibly get one side?

Letā€™s use D3 as a base. If you put crit chance in demonic and crit dmg in angelic then that automatically means to have the most powerful builds you need to balance angelic and demonic because crit chance and crit dmg as a combination is broken in D3. Thatā€™s the gist of it.

in this case, you just have to tune down the numbers
you SHOULD be able to unlock both crit chance and crit damage
but it should be balanced, so it doesnt outdamage any other build

My point is not about the brokeness of crit chance and crit dmg but to illustrate the point that you are not forced to go one side with this system.

IF you are able to go 2 sides
so if we take the situation, that they actually make it possible to unlock affixes of all 3 powers, if you just find the right items, then the choice of the primary effect will become completely irrelevant, because ppl will only just try to find the perfect items, to unlock all their affixes and not have dead stats on their items

so they are not like: hmmm i really think, on hit procs are cool, i want a lot of ancestral power

they will go like: ok damn, for that item i need 80 angelic power, for that item i need 50 demonic power and for that item i only need 30 ancestral power

so they wont go all ancestral power, because, unlocking their +20% crit chance and +10% crit damage from angelic and demonic is much more important to them -> those few primary power effects will just be a side note

So whatā€™s wrong with optimization? Depending on what affixes are the most important to you then you will have to balance these power to unlock then making sacrifices here and there.

Why would they not make it possible to go all three sides?

if its possible, besides hell of grinding, the only issue is, that the primary power will not be a matter of choice anymore, which is not that terrible but its also kindaā€¦not the intention of blizzard :smiley:
im just trying to tell them

It is not like you can choose freely. Getting those items with good stats AND the +Power you want, AND the right version of the Affixes with power requirement, could be incredibly difficult. So during that gear progression you probably decide that going for some unlocks other than the Crit you really want, is a decent choice too. Adding a bunch of smaller decisions along the way.

1 Like

You mean the angelic and demonic as affix themselves? Yeah there will be tons of cases that they will be irrelevant to the build you choose except as enablers. I think thatā€™s fine. Not every build has to value angelic, demonic, ancestral as an affix in themselves.