Angelic, Demonic and Ancestral stats are a bad design choice

Why not just make that a D3 style rune change on the skill itself rather than go with the gear locks? Far simpler, easier to balance, and don’t need to go read a website to figure it out. Then allow you to add skillpoints to the rune modifications for depth.

They would open far more builds by tying it to the actual skill tree and be far less of a hassle for everyone, including the balance team.

I could also plan my builds from the start without ever touching a website.

I think its a bit of a stretch to say that demonic power is under powered. We have no idea what types of abilities will make use of it. We have no idea how well or not it will fit into a build. We have no idea how it will feel to stack various powers and whether they will even be important to every build.

The feedback is ‘make sure the powers are useful in various cases if you go through with adding them’. Your speculation is pessimistic when you begin saying that it seems weak and will not be useful.

You can list all sorts of examples where it may not be useful, but when I list examples of where it would be, you say that cc builds are inferior and you should just max damage. Okay but that mentality isn’t even part of current D3 group meta. I mention a an item that translates CC into DPS to exactly fit your statement of the best cc = dead monsters, and you don’t acknowledge it. I mention that if you are doing gg easy content that extending DoT damage might not be the best, but not everything in the game will be GG easy and you can have different sets of gear for different things (they specifically want us to do that). Even if extending dot duration isn’t useful in speedy activities, there might be ither things impacted by demonic power that could be.

How freaking neat would it be to stack demonic power and have it extend the duration of the druids cataclysm? How awesome would it be to be able to make a debuff ability last until the ability comes off cooldown again for 100% up time? How cool would it be to cc tank for your group because of cc extensions? You mention the firewall example which is great, and just because the P2 announcement mentioned the two examples of DoTs and Debuffs doesn’t mean that is the complete list.

Feedback is great, but I feel like you’re several steps beyond that into pessimism built on speculation and conjecture. I like a lot of what you’ve said in the thread, but I am not sure how you can come away with the conclusion that demonic power is underpowered sinply because it wont always be useful, even when you can say the same thing about the other powers.

I’m not presuming that fire resistance will only be Demonic Power. It’d help if you stopped making assumptions about things that I haven’t actually said.

It would be a problem if FR could be on any 3 of the powers because FR as a stat has nothing to do with ANY of them. That creates an arbitrary requirement of “In order to get X benefit, you must have Y of this stat that has nothing to do with it”.

That just gives us a double layer of RNG that can screw us now. Not only do I need the affix to be the one I want, but I need the random power stat it’s been locked behind to be the one(maybe two depending) I happened to be stacking.

If Demonic Power is going to be about negative effects and damage over time, then the associated affixes should be about negative effects and damage over time. That creates thematic for the stat and the items that rely on it.

Was just following the description of what devs mentioned about AP/DP/AP… Personally not a fan of making your firewall being an ice-wall all out of a sudden

MIGHT work if it’s a legendary item consequence/thing, buuut don’t think should be a potential build/main-stat… :slight_smile:

Yes, the D3 rune system had a CRAZY potential, sadly the devs back then didn’t use it and ended up with what we have (lvl70 = all skills empowered as lvl1 and it’s enough to thrash mobs regardless :P)

D4 is still in early alpha, nothing will be balanced at this stage. This is completely normal, balancing is one of the last things that happens in a game’s development. Be patient and wait for the live release before calling things out as unbalanced.

good post, some comments;
atm, in D3, certain classes are given:
-30% less damage
-a resistance boost/nerve

i find this only relevant in MP with roles per class…

i can live with it:
-there’s a ring that improves choice.

You could gain 10% of every affix, but then they wouldn’t be very powerful in their effects. It’s not like there wouldn’t be value in getting 100 power.

I’m also not a fan of breakpoints because I still remember the days of Hit/Expertise in WoW where getting a new item was a massive annoyance of juggling a bunch of stats around in order to maintain very specific breakpoints.

It was not a fun system, imo, and with the way power is being described to us these breakpoints are going to be even more important than Hit/Expertise ever were in WoW.

Right but doesn’t mean we can’t suggest to take this off of items and put it elsewhere, where it’s easier to manage and to understand.

For example, if you attached it to trees, as a updated version of D3 rune system, in a D4 context. You could take a skill like Magic Missile, and do the following:

Skill Magic Missile
Rune Tier 1: Turns into Firebolt, Icebolt, or Lightning Bolt
Rune Tier 2: Conflagrate, Seeker, Split, Bounce?
Rune Tier 3: Turns into Fireball, Glacial Spike, Chain Lightning, (Some mod to magic missile)
Last customization option:
Angelic: Causes healing in some form
Demonic: Increases Damage or Aoe or something
Ancestral: Adds chance to proc something

Allow access to all 4 skills for the skill bar, assuming you add 20 points into each. So in theory, you could cast magic missile or lightning bolt at whatever level you added it to.

You realize how much work would need for each and every skill to have it’s own skill tree based upon the “alterations” you just described ?, pretty sure they won’t get “busy” with doing such an immense amount of work lol, pretty sure the A/D/A powers would be general for each skill (except maybe Ancestral as different skills might do different procs) lol

Poe Wasn’t built in a day.

If they had done the beginning of this in D3, RoS could have added to it and D4 could have added another layer. Progression over years.

Maybe… At first liked the idea Noxious said that every skill might have it’s own tree, but IF/when combine that with the A/D/A system the combinations would be ENDLESS… Personally not a fond of not even knowing where to start (potentially lol) to such an immense lvl1-starting depth :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

But they can start small, and do what they should have done in the beginning, and go from there. D4 should be the base. It’s expansion should add to it. And the 2nd expansion should add more. It’s about planning for a future. It’s called a business plan.

I also mentioned that even in a CC build the thing has to survive past the base duration.

Which it’s an important part of the whole thing because if my spell freezes it for 4 seconds and gives it +200% damage taken and my teammates kill it in 2.5 seconds, then Demonic Power doesn’t buff anything going on there.

Also I’ve been saying that Demonic Power feels like it will be limited in use, which isn’t quite the same as underpowered. I’m not even trying to say that it will have literally no use ever in a high tier build.

If you look at Angelic Power, a self buff lasting longer will almost always be useful to you. Every time I hit Flame Shield on my Sorceress in Diablo 4, I can be reasonably sure that Angelic Power is helping me out.

Every time I use Frost Nova however, there are a decent number of cases where Demonic Power isn’t helping me out. This despite the fact that it should increase the freeze duration.

I also think you’re reading too much into me having a concern over the system. I’m not pessimistic about the system as a whole and have posted in support of it. This is just one concern that I happen to have.

Which the concern is not merely that Demonic Power is not always useful, but rather than it can often end up not being useful even when it’s supposed to be.

Well, even that could work lol but pretty sure people might run off when they open the tab for “magic missile” and read - at 25AP your projectile becomes icicle, at 25% DP your projectile leaves an AoE DoT at impact location and at 25 AncP the projectile has a chance to pierce multiple targets kind of thing tbh

Skills should be kinda “intuitive” in their own way (except maybe when maxxed)… Don’t think having “universal bonuses” of different types of power (i.e. not necessarily per-skill-related) is that bad either :slight_smile:

But in my example, Angelic/Demonic/Ancestral was NOT a tier within a tier . It was a final conclusion. A final mod at the end of the road. Icing on the cake so to speak.

I think I can understand that…

I just turned Magic missile into a firebolt. I selected Seeker, so my firebolt now tracks targets. I then selected fireball, so my firebolt now seeks out people and has a AOE explosion. Then I capped it off with demonic which torched the ground around it. Simple? Check. Complex? Check. Intuitive? Check. Fun? Check. Diverse? Check.

This is true. I said it earlier, but if the powers are locked to certain affixes, those affixes better be thematically in sync with the bonuses granted by the power. Though I would prefer that the affixes be untether from a particular power. Bring on the RNG, to open up viable combinations.

So you’d rather be everything is possible as long as you grind 3 times? longer :P, personally NOT a fan of that… A WW Barb(at max level) should differ quite a bit if went for mostly ancestral vs mostly demonic vs mostly angelic… There should be CLEAR differences between those IMO, otherwise it’s just stupid “rng proc” that can roll the same things and just be a luck-based thing to where you started :stuck_out_tongue:

I see where you come from but thing is A/D/A powers seem to be mostly character/gear based as opposed to skill-based… MIGHT be interesting but… IDK, would like to see how this thing with character/gear turns out first before going quiiite a few more steps further I’d say

And I’m proposing that this is a mistake. And is likely going to set them years behind, just like D3 vanilla did. RoS might be a great game for all I know, the time I tried it, didn’t care for it. All of my friends who bought vanilla didn’t even demo RoS, and aren’t watching D4 at all. I think they should be looking at D4 as a foundational experience, with character identity/skill tree as the key focus, leave itemization open ended, with a focus on items being an extension of your character, especially since they want to sell microtransactions, and go the Path of Exile route with the long term goal of adding a ton of stuff over time. But we shall see!