And with this I bid you farewell

It’s gonna be amazing to watch the people who are psychologically invested in Blizzard “failing” at every opportunity come to grips with the fact that they hit a grand slam with this release. The cognitive dissonance is gonna be something to behold. So far, the only thing they have to fall back on is “I can’t host LAN parties in 2021 in the middle a global pandemic”. Might wanna try harder.

22 Likes

Lemme guess, you were 0 years old when the original game was released.
I can keep playing that as long as I exist.
Also you are American, by the LAN party reference.
I have played Diablo 2 OVER LAN for 2 decades, no battle net, no scams, no TP TP TP TP spam. Most of these 2 decades was from the comfort of my home, with a VoIP call with friends and a nice cold beer in hand.No need for LAN parties.

9 Likes

No. There’s plenty to fall back on.

As BrotherLaz pointed out, without TCP IP, no one’s gonna bother to make mods just for single player.

Also, I find it extremely annoying how Blizzard are being control freaks yet again and trying to force everyone onto the Closed Battle Net… by removing Open Battle Net and TCP IP.

You talk about cognitive dissonance and psychology, and yet you can’t understand why some users don’t appreciate Blizzard being control freaks.

Some people used to love Blizzard games precisely, because they allowed for various ways to play them, which included modifications… which varied from small adjustments to you playing with an entirely different rule set, where the progression is different… and so on.

The supposed “play your way” has turned into “play our way or go back to the old version”. Some people have clearly chosen the old version.

14 Likes

I also decided to issue a refund that I was relieved to see that it was processed successfully. Surprised to see that I can still post here though.

Though personally I just wanted to cancel any pending purchases as I don’t want to financially support Blizzard anymore. But frankly, the whole “No LAN party” definitely doesn’t sit well with me either, gives me the feeling that I won’t be able to have a personalized lobby when I don’t want to deal with public lobbies.

Where do you get the idea that people are “Invested in Blizzard failing”, or that they’re expecting Diablo 2 to be a flop?
I’ve just seen people express disappointment and concern over the game.

Ah yes, the “Global Pandemic” that consists of politicians being drunk on power and doing everything they can to make people’s lives miserable/being bullies by making people not be able to operate in SoCiEtY if they don’t get an experimental jab…
… And medical workers who are incentivized to lie about the Coof in order to get more money for “Medical Aid”.

6 Likes

wait Brother Laz is here??? O_o

2 Likes
3 Likes

Ok and you can still do that without crying here.

So why u here blizzard already told you ggnore

1 Like

Bye. The true D2 community doesn’t need modder sympathizers anyway.

5 Likes

no tcp/ip is seriously the deal breaker? i think you just don’t wanna play diablo 2.

6 Likes

not tcp-ip is just as importent as it was a part of original D2 game option, if you say you’d just remake the graphic, then by no means, DO NOT take this away.
sheesh…
kids this days…

5 Likes

Your money, your decision. The original game will still be there for you.

Have fun! :wave:

4 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re being serious.
What’s the problem with mods and mod users?

This is like saying, that “the true WC3 community does not need map makers”.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a case of envy.

Dude’s an uncreative gremlin, so he takes it out on anyone who is creative enough to develop mods for the game, so as to feel better.

2 Likes

AMEN! I love you for that post… :laughing:

@Gall - much of what you say is valid, but D2R Beta is no where near a grand slam. I think it’s more of a double… :wink:

Seriously, though, after so long a wait/dry spell, a double can sometimes feel like a home run. Ask any Red Socks fan!

No, there’s still much work to do, but don’t be surprised if the player numbers are abysmal on launch day. I’m fairly certain most players will wait for the ladder start. I know I will, and I’m about as strong a D2 fan as you’ll find. If you never play non-ladder normally, I don’t think many will invest the time. Too many other good games out there.

2 Likes

i’m a Red Sox fan.
i’m still confused…

Literally nothing Gall said was valid. I don’t know how you can read the post and reach this weird, frankly ridiculous conclusion.

A guy complains, that a feature key to mods has been removed in pretty much the last minute, calls it a bait & switch… Says he’s already refunded.

First post from Gall here is basically an accusation, that the OP is “psychologically invested in Blizzard failing” and proceeds to spew utter nonsense, in a poor attempt to dismiss OP’s concern about mod support, by saying, that the complaint is merely, because the OP is annoyed, that he can’t “host LAN parties” or whatever…

Not everyone wants to play over the Closed Battle Net… not all the time anyways.
Back when D2 released, more than half the people who bought it didn’t play it over Battle Net.

Gall also talks about “cognitive dissonance”, when nothing the OP said was in any way contradictory, nor did he say what Gall invented he did.

Even more so, back when D3 came out with Online Only restriction, it was very clear as to why this was done: to expose people to artificial scarcity of gear and trick as many people as possible to participate into real money trading.

Throughout the last few months, many have expressed various concerns about real money trading on third party sites, botting and whatnot. One would think, that Blizzard would take that into account and leave an option, for those who wanna play multiplayer with friends (but to not participate in the Closed Battle Net and it’s respective online economy) the option to do so. Apparently not…

Makes me wonder whether Gall is psychologically invested in making (poor, half-hearted at best) attempts to discredit legitimate criticism of what are clearly restrictions, leading for sadness for a portion of the long time fans of the game, and as such, likely bad dev decisions.

6 Likes

Why use TCP/IP or LAN when you have the internet?
It’s like bringing a knife to a gunfight. That’s a harsh statement to make but if you think about it, it is somewhat true.
20 years ago the internet wasn’t as developed as it is today. Many things weren’t available, such as todays internet speeds, hardware and software supporting the features. Many households probably didn’t even have internet access back in the day, so it is quiet obvious that the LAN option was something like a revolution at that time.
As of today the internet is nearly a standard in every household and most people use it for literally anything they need in life, weather it is recipes for cooking, googleMaps to find any location or simply playing games with others. It’s the new standard nowadays and LAN is getting to a point where it is needed to have internet but not used as often for playing multiplayer games.
EDIT: In fact most multiplayer games nowadays are online based only, due to the fact that single player games have a set life span.
Weather you play with random people or just with your friends is solely up to you as a player. Nobody is forcing you to play with random people that may use bots or use third party websites to trade. The only difference is, that you have to use their platform “Battle.Net” in order to play the game, just like EA with Origin, Ubisoft with Ubisoft Connect or UPlay and others.
As for modding, i can understand both sides here. The people who create mods have my highest respect and they have created amazing things over several games! In addition to that they have helped some developers to make their game a better one due to features that the mod added and many devs learned from it.
Mods on the other hand will also bring unexpected results and errors to the table which makes troubleshooting extremly difficult. Espaically when the user is not providing enough information about their system and mods installed. It also increases the difficulty of fixing issues with the base game which the multiplayer BETA is for. With that being said it would be a stupid decision to allow mods for a BETA test or for the 1.0 release when there are more cititcal issues to resolve first.

I hope that clarified my view on the things…

Question; What does it matter to you if someone wants to play a session locally rather than over the internet?

If the original game has it, then why can’t the Reneutered version?

Uhm… Nope, not really. This is very much false.

While a singleplayer game may not have the “Infinite replayability” as an online multiplayer game may have, it does however have something multiplayer will NEVER have: It will survive long after its “New flashyness” wears off.
What I am saying is that compared to an online game, a singleplayer game will always be there for you to pick it up and play it, an online game will only last as long as the servers last.

No servers active for your fancy online game? No way to play the game then.

3 Likes

I think it’s a little early to call D2R a grand slam, we’ll see though. I’m disappointed by some graphical design changes not in line with the original in certain areas, and some of the bugs are annoying, but hey it’s beta. We’ll see how live goes in a month.