Ancient Gear - how to find

What is the best way to roll or get a drop ancient piece of gear - so I can do the Caldesann’s Despair. I have tried blood stones. Tried re-rolling set pieces. And just waiting on drops. It is so slow. Once I start the process and say have one that has rank 50. Does it add if I do another 50, or just replace it with same 50 thus being a waste? They say wait til u get them to 100 - that is impossible cause I would have to run a 110+ rift. Atm my highest is a 75 - so I am running 85+ it is a gradual process - not something I can just jump into.

On average…

• Ancients are 1 in 10 legendaries.
  • Primals are 1 in 400 legendaries.

So, if you’re hoping for ancients as drops, or by gambling at Kadala, or by upgrading rares in the Cube, or reforging legendaries in the Cube, you need to maximise your legendaries found per time spent. This means running T16 rifts quickly for GR keys and then doing GRs at the highest level you can manage where each run takes no more than 3-4 minutes per run (preferably faster). At GR90 and above Guardians drop 12 loots, 10 guaranteed to be legendary, the remaining 2 can be legendary, yellow or blue. So, if you could run GR90s in 4 minutes each, you’d do 15 per hour. That’s 150-180 legendaries, so averaging 165 legendaries per hour. You should see 16-17 ancients from that, and a primal every two and a half hours or so.

Read this (pay attention to skills, items, rolls on items etc):
https://maxroll.gg/guides/god-ha-demon-hunter-guide

I’m barely getting thru a gr100. There is supposed to be a gold trick that raisies armor through the roof - I have the gold wrap and boon of the horder ( maxed at 50/50 ) but can’t get the avarice band to drop. I heard you have to do act 3 bounties from the horadic chest til it drops. Guess I have crummy luck. I am not doing enough damage to get through a GR w/o running out of time.
But even if I do that, if the damage doesnt get better - it won’t matter
And yes I am raising my gems as far as I can .

Mobs inside a GR do not drop gold when you kill them, so don’t use this in a GR, it’s something for when you’re speed-farming rifts / bounties, and you should include the Boon of the Hoarder gem, to ensure every single mob drops gold.

1 Like

Well, ancient items aren’t really going to help you that much. Neither will augmenting them if their properties aren’t at least halfway decent. Looking at your gear and your skill choices, there are ways to improve your damage output without waiting for ancient items.

In fact, a well rolled non-ancient item could be a significant improvement over some of the ancients you currently have. And your skills are all over the place, many of which aren’t helping you at all.

For the GoD set, the vast bulk of your damage comes from your primary skill, so you should look for ways to buff that. The biggest ones that you are missing are Simplicity Strength gem and Depth Diggers in the cube. In fact your cube choices are just odd. None of them help you in the least.

Also, strafe, sentries, and RoV do nothing for you. The only use for the sentries is to proc the BotT gem, but there are easier ways to do that. I think a more focused build would allow you to easily do a GR100.

I thought Strafe was the main secondary - way of killing once I got motion up around 20. Idk what a BotT is. I tried using vengence as the last skill so strafe uses it. I am just looking for something that gels. I will look again at why I started to stray from the build again. Thanks for your patience :upside_down_face: which gem should I stop using when I level up the simplicity one again - I actually had it up to 83 and used it as a calesann boost - again I thought the only thing hunger was for was to fuel the motion deal that allowed use of strafe. bane of trapped - um my main thing is cold so I thought that is what I used it for? I mean I freeze and break most mobs

You really should read the guide I linked to.

No. Read the set bonuses on the GoD pieces. Strafe basically boosts movement speed. It also is a hatred spender for triggering the Focus/Restraint rings, and if you use the Thrill of the Hunt passive, will slow enemies, which will trigger the BotT gem.

BotT = Bane of the Trapped gem.

That is not how the set works. It fires off the last PRIMARY SKILL that you used, which is Hungering Arrow. Also, Vengeance and Rain of Vengeance are two different skills. Vengeance is useful, but Rain of Vengeance is not.

Definitely read the guide that Jazz linked to.

Definitely read the maxroll guide…but I can tell right off why you are struggling is because of your reroll, skill choices and cube.

Helm - missing 6% crit chance
Shoulders - resource reduction no bueno, reroll to cooldown reduction (ideally get a new one with CDR and area damage - not sentry)
Restraint - missing crit chance and crit damage (reroll attack speed to crit damage)
Focus - not bad actually, crit chance ideally 6% but it’s better than nothing
Chest - not horrible
Squirts - cold+crit damage is a decent combo
Gloves - reroll attack speed to crit damage
Belt - again not bad, try to roll to 15% hungering arrow damage
Pants - workable
Bracers - until you find better, consider rolling 20% cold damage instead of the vitality (ideally you want dex/vit/cold/crit and a high legendary roll)
Boots - reroll strafe damage to armor (strafe is doing basically no damage in this build)
Ethereal - the sentry power is wasted - if you find one with vengeance reduction, strafe pierce, fortress shield…swap to it even if lower damage range.
9th Cirri - absolutely abysmal - one of the hardest items to get even close to perfect, but yours my friend is a disaster

• no crit chance
  • no Hungering arrow damage
  • really low legendary power

Forget the socket (useless) - reroll that to either 15% hungering arrow or 10% crit chance and spend shards with Kadala and mats to upgrade rares until you find something better (even non-ancient with good rolls)

Skill changes:
Strafe - icy trail or drifting shadow
Vault - swap to Vengeance dark heart for reduced damage - you want to have enough cooldown (including enchantress buff) for this to be up 100% of the time
Sentry - swap to Fan of Knives bladed armor for damage reduction
Rain of Vengeance - swap to Shadow Power gloom for damage reduction

passives
replace Sharpshooter (it’s not doing what you think) with Cull the Weak

Cube
Depth diggers (100% damage boost to Hungering Arrow)
Dawn (for reduced vengeance cooldown)
Convention of Elements (massive damage boost)

followers need work too - but focus on getting your main toon fixed up first.

1 Like

Let’s focus on these two sentences.

Avarice Band drops from Act III but all Act I-III legendary items may drop from an Act IV cache so worth farming Act III & IV in tandem.

Then lower the difficulty! It’s not worth struggling through 15 minute GRs for gear - best to drop to a level where you can do them in 2-3 minutes. This will maximise the number of legendary items you get in an hour and also the experience for those fun paragon things.

This is some good advice. Once you get Dawn and put that in the cube, you can work out how much cooldown you need here: https://maxroll.gg/dawn-calculator (spoiler: it’s 36.51%)

You can see what your cooldown is by opening up your Inventory (usually hitting the “I” key on your keyboard), then clicking Details and your cooldown reduction will display.

HTH

Ok I was wondering what the point of having very high t factor if its doable at say 12. reg rifts I do at 16 with tons of time left.
I read the god gear skills does Not support aoe. I say this cause someone mentioned raising it - so Ill just add what is up in the D, V, res, crit d, crit chance.
Also I cant find what gear gives me 100% crit chance in my details - but adding to it will not raise it nor will dropping. Is this a bug? That is why I never bothered adding it.
I traded out a diff 2 hander that has better H arrow damage and kept the other in storage. I am looking for the one that gives me a shield., cause I am so squishy. I get one shot all the time - so it is rare if I get 4 tries on a gem.
I use the details all the time mainly cause; I found out to ALWAYS see what changing a skill or piece of gear does to my damage or other details.
I really have no idea how you can have all the detailed AS, cdr, and others not shown in this display. Can u see my details? Cause that 100% C Chance is awesome.
I’ll adjust the other stuff as I can and wait on adding more C. chance til I hear from u

It’s the passive Sharpshooter

Gain 4% Critical Hit Chance every second. This bonus is reset 1 second after you successfully critically hit.

Whilst you’re stood in town, this raises your CHC to 100%, which falsely improves how much benefit you derive from CHD and AS. This passive is never recommended because, whilst it vastly improves your damage value on the character page, it does not improve your actual in-combat damage by much.

Let’s say your DH’s natural CHC is 40%. Whilst in town, it raises to 100%, and then you head into a rift, bounty, ubers, a GR. The very first mob you hit will cause the reset of the bonus and you’ll be back down to 40% CHC. The only way your CHC will raise to 44% is if you do not crit another mob in the next second. With a GoD DH you’re hitting lots of targets, so it’s incredibly unlikely that you’d ever get this to happen for longer than 1-2 seconds. So, at best this is providing between 4 and 8 extra CHC, so 6% CHC if you’re lucky.

Short version…
This is why build guides will always include which passives you should have and Sharpshooter is never one of them. Change this passive to something else, and you’ll see what your actual, in-combat stats are.

why do some shrines explode with elites and others just give the buff?

I presume you’re using the Scoundrel follower, as they’re wearing…

Nemesis Bracers

Shrines and Pylons will spawn an enemy champion. (Emanates)

As the power emanates, this means that whilst your follower is wearing them, the power is granted to your hero. However, the power is only granted whilst your Scoundrel is alive so, if you click one one whilst the Scoundrel is dead, you don’t get the elite pack.

Your Scoundrel has this equipped - Ribald Etchings

Equip on Follower: Gain access to all skills.

Get him one of these - Skeleton Key

Equip on Follower: Your follower cannot die.

1 Like

That is why a lot of people use Vengeance:Dark Heart, since that gives 50% damage reduction. In order to maintain 100% uptime on Vengeance, you need either a Dawn in your cube to replace that useless Envious Blade, or an Ethereal with high Vengeance cooldown. Then you need cooldown reduction on other items to reach 37% or so total CDR.

You can also use the Elusive ring in the cube to give you further 60% damage reduction when you use certain skills like Smoke Screen. With the CDR you have for your vengeance, you can use the rune that doesn’t use any Discipline and keep the Elusive Ring effect up 100%. Combined with Fan of Knives:Bladed Armour to give you an armour boost, these should help survival in GRs.

One thing to be aware of is that certain mobs, namely the Dervishes and sand monsters, have the ability to deflect projectiles. Since Hungering Arrow is a projectile attack, you need to be careful when fighting these monsters. Using Nemesis Bracers often spawn the Dervishes when you touch a pylon or shrine, unfortunately.

why is envious blade useless? Is it not what it says - I thought while I fight my crit to hit chance goes to 100%? If not I will change it to dawn. I have all kinds of cubed stuff.
I switched out the etheral I was using to a hungering arrow version. Does this stack with the other damage I have for HA?

Only for enemies at full health. As soon as you damage it, the effect no longer applies. That’s fine if you are able to one-shot mobs, but useless in higher GRs.

No, unfortunately. That is the legendary power of the 9th Cirri satchel that you already have equipped. I’m not sure which one overrides the other, but I suspect it might be the weapon, in which case you are losing damage since your equipped quiver has a higher damage (584% vs 487%).

Also, the rune you chose for Vengeance is not that useful. The most useful runes are either Dark Heart for protection, or Seethe for hatred regeneration. For pushing higher GRs, most people use Dark Heart.