An option for a "Lite" installation of D2:R is needed

You appear to be a long expert on the subject since I’ve seldom heard anything constructive come from you(notice I said seldom)

1 Like

Hmm… Okay, sure!

I’ve already fed the troll for the sake of clarity for this thread. My job is done. Careful about picking straw man arguments with people, you don’t want to upset the mods.

Actually you were the one picking the fight(and not for the 1st time) with this little bit "TheGreyDeath is literally just arguing against you for the sake of arguing. That said, there’s no need for a “lite” installation option because you can just turn the settings down as I’m sure there will be graphical options rather than just being given forced choices between 4K settings and classic settings. Remember, D2R Alpha is just that, an alpha. It’s not optimized.

The graphical prowess of this game is nothing short of 10 year old aesthetics. The game looks beautiful, don’t get me wrong but games have been using this medium for, again, 10 years. There will be few to nobody incapable of playing the final product - that much I promise.

4K textures are actually a lot easier to render than people realize, especially when you employ dynamic scaling techniques used in virtually every modern game in the past 5ish plus years. Foreground objects/models get priority drawing while background and out of focus stuff gets downscaled."

1 Like

I disagree fully… Players should always be the ones to rise to a new game’s specifications and level, never a games job to bring itself down to their level and “cheapen” itself.

You will already have a toggle to go back to Classic graphics, I wonder if that will be enough to run the game if you have a cardboard PC.

Blizz and VV need to focus on the core of the game, the mechanics, the quality of play, the nostialgia of items and what made the game great, dont overdo it on the lipstick

laughs in 6800xt …

Okay a few things…

1. This game already has a classic mode you can swap to for the original graphics.

2. Your “lite” installation makes it seem as though it’s more of a bandwidth issue because your graphical issue is already addressed in the game.

3. This game will probably have low, medium, high, and ultra settings within the remastered mode. Why not give those a chance?

4. If bandwidth isn’t the issue, and the classic sprite graphical toggle doesn’t solve your problem, what exactly is the problem?

Sounds like you want a remastered D2 with 99.999% of the content removed for 40 bucks when D2 is 10 dollars right now.

But hey it’s your money I guess.

2 Likes

As far as I understand it, it is just an overlay.

Otherwise you would get thrown into the loading screen every time you switch between the modes cause the graphics have to load again.

Don’t want this. People will start running 5 copies at a time doing things we don’t need in d2r.

If you have a good PC made let say over 4 years ago it should run just fine. There’s not need for a lite version.

Here is what I mean…I built a PC a few short years back and could not find a video card.
It’s an Intel I7 and I’m using a ASUS STRC board and at the time 16 gig of ram. I was able to actually start up Star Citizen…and so that will have. A much higher requirement than this game so unless someone has a build with a board that offers no video support you’re fine.

You wont have a great experience but the game start up is my point.
There are video cards available which are plentiful…it just might not be the high end cards people want.

I had to settle on an ASUS STRX 1060 for 2 years and finally got an RTX 2070 but I’m sure that is waaaay overkill for this game.

I don’t agree. Play on console if your PC can’t hack it.

1 Like

If you are talking about bots:
As far as I am aware those are running “clientless” for ages by now, so cranking up the minimum requirements will do next to nothing to them.

Don’t say that. Look at Ark Survival Evolved, you need some very good hardware for that game to play with good graphics and fps. On the other hand, Ark was released on Nintendo switch too, and looks totally garbage and runs unplayable for me, 15-30 FPS.

Even Witcher runs on switch with low settings and 30 fps.

Minimum requirement PC to play D2:Resurrected:

used i3-3250 - ~25 used, ~$60 new (old stock) (ebay)
new base 115x fan/heatsink (if used CPU purchased) (Amazon)
used 8GB DDR3 - $20-30 used (ebay)
used z68 motherboard ~$80-120 (ebay)
used GTX 660 - ~$100 (ebay)
New Samsung EVO 870 SSD - $45 (Amazon)
New 500 watt power supply - $40 (Amazon)
ATX case - $40 minimum (Amazon)
Win10 Home license - $130 (Amazon)

Totals
Cheapest - $489
Wiggle room for case/mobo options - $550 - $650

Minimum recommended PC to play D2:Resurrected:

i5-9600K - $220 (new, Amazon) $170 (used, ebay)
Hyper 212 Heatsink/fan - $40 (Amazon)
300 series motherboard - $80-220 (new, Amazon), $60-180 (eBay)
16GB DDR4 3200 - $103 (amazon)… A bit cheaper options available on ebay, but I’d rather have new RAM.
GTX 1060 (MSRP 3GB=$250/6GB=$300) - $400/$533 (Amazon), ~$240/~$350 (ebay)
New Samsung EVO 870 SSD - $45 (Amazon)
New 500 watt power supply - $40 (Amazon)
ATX case - $40 for the cheapest (Amazon)
Win10 Home license - $130 (Amazon)

Totals
Cheapest - $888 (used cpu, used mobo, used 3GB 1060)
All new - $1301 (6GB GPU, higher end mobo)

I will agree, it’s hard to imagine anyone that has a system with anything worse than an i3-3250 out there. So to those that are in the boat of having a system that doesn’t meet all of the minimum specifications, but has a processor that does meet or exceed the minimum requirements:

Bump your system up to 8GB of RAM if it isn’t already. Bumping to 16GB will yield better loading times due to less virtual RAM swapping. Anything higher than 16GB is overkill for gaming in most circumstances.

Check eBay for a used graphics card. It is a risky purchase, because the market is flooded with used older crypto mining cards. Instead of the bare minimum GTX 660, look at later gen cards such as the GTX 760/770/780 or the GTX 960/970/980 and Ti revisions. More expensive than a GTX 660, but also more performance. Make sure the eBay seller has a good rating and accepts returns!
Also, make sure that your existing power supply meets the recommended rating for the graphics card that you choose. If it does not meet the minimum requirements, you’ll need to purchase a new power supply as well.

If you don’t have a solid-state drive, get one! I’d avoid buying a used one on eBay. They’re fairly cheap as of right now anyway. Samsung solid-state drives are highly recommended. As far as choosing a drive size, look at your C:\ drive space usage, double it, and pick a size that number will fit within.
You can create a Macrium Reflect Rescue USB drive, which when booted from will allow you to clone your existing hard disk drive to the new solid-state drive. (If you don’t have extra SATA power/data cables, you can temporarily hook the new SSD up using your SATA power/data cables from your CD/DVD ROM.)

Lastly, if you have no idea how to upgrade your system, consider asking a knowledgeable friend for help, or seek a reputable and local computer repair shop that can assist you in upgrading your system, but the prices will be higher taking into account store markup and labor rates. (Don’t take it to BestBuy)

Now lets get this game out Blizzard, I want to play!

1 Like

Diablo 2: Resurrected needs to have as much reach as possible, a “Lite” installation option will help that become more true.

ME 2 Bro me 2. Lol

3 Likes

Would it really be that hard for them to make a lite version though? Would be nice, because Graphics cards and such are over priced right now.

4 Likes

This is a really good idea.

2 Likes

You can’t run any game with 2k+ resolution at 60+ fps on a non-gaming laptop or PC with an old GPU. You have to upgrade for ANY game if you want those standards (and I’m not saying you want those standards, read further).

If you just want 1080 resolution at 30-60 fps (as reasonable floor to PC game at), any PC made after 2000 will be fine if it has a dedicated GPU. Don’t expect to play new games with a all-in-one cpu only PC (not saying you have this either).

I haven’t heard of a GPU shortage outside of the top of the line GPUs that crypto miners buy, which are not required to play D2R by any means.

All in, I wouldn’t be concerned. And if you’re thinking the majority of players are over 30 and have old PCs, you’re crazy. Old gamers now have the money to buy new PCs (or build their own!), for 500-1000 bucks.

Don’t come on a PC game forum and pretend like there’s a large player base with Windows 95, Pentium 3 Gateways.

The GT 710 card is a good example… I used to be able to buy this card for about $35-$45 depending on the manufacturer. When the shortage/pandemic/demand was full swing, they spiked up to as high as $120. They’re back down to around $85 now. It sucks, I want it to be over.

I’m not talking about running D2:R with the GT 710, I’m just using it as an example of how crappy the shortage is.

All GPUs have price spikes, even older ones, because they aren’t being made. GPU producers don’t keep making their old GPUs, they push their newer series.

I’d wager almost any GPU you find for 30-100$ right now can run D2R at 1080 resolution.

The point is, a D2Lite version is kind of a needless request. Though of course options for a smart consumer are always better than no options, I don’t want Blizz/VV wasting time on this pre-launch.

1 Like

Here’s a link to Neweggs graphics cards ranging from $75 to $100.

The best performance option is a GTX 750 by “Corn Electronics” for $99.99… Which seems kind of corny to me. Heh. But hey, this might be their golden opportunity to make a good name for themselves while everyone else is gouging as much $ as they can.

The runner up is a used GT 1030, which is much newer, but roughly 33% slower than the GTX 750.

Here is a Passmark benchmark comparing the performance of the GT 1030, the GTX 750, the GTX 660 and the GTX 1060, with the GTX 660 being the minimum requirement and the GTX 1060 being the recommended card for D2:R:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-GT-1030-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-vs-GeForce-GTX-660-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060/3757vs2825vs2152vs3548