Allow cow level to be made post-King kill

Only player who should be punished / Blacklisted for killing the Cow King is the person who kill it. Not the other players in the Server.

11 Likes

I’d like to be repeatable for certain as there isn’t any benefit to it besides fun. The workaround exists and much like mules I think it is better to do without the workaround and just leave it “open”

11 Likes

Hope they do. Also the invisible hammers in pvp would be a good fix imo.

I feel like people who are actually against this haven’t really played D2 all that much.
That’s what they all sound like anyway.

20 Likes

I would also agree that it should be available to open again after killing cow king, don’t see any reason not to. And people who don’t like it, should just ignore it, like open cow level, kill cow king and never open it again with same character. And everyone is happy.

6 Likes

To start with. They are open to more if player demand is there and it fits with theme.

Cow king was worked around anyway, just like shared stash. You just get a mule that makes the game for you.

4 Likes

I really don’t understand the purist hate for this QoL change. There is a super common workaround that makes cow level always able to be opened, why should we have to do a workaround when a simple “killing the cow king doesn’t close the level off” would fix it

22 Likes

This falls in line with the deep dive philosophy they used to add stashes. People have a work around already. It’s widely used. Cow king should be able to be repeated because we are all just going to setup alts that can open portals or there will be people calling for others who can open a portal.

They said they will consider making changes to things that fit this situation.

15 Likes

or you just ran it on light sorc/javazon because cow king is light immune.

2 Likes

Yes, a large part of Diablo 2’s charm is that it’s so brutal and unforgiving. Softening it up like what is being suggested here changes the feel of the game. This is also one of those things where I remember it being this way since day one. It’s not like this was introduced in a patch at some point. Why would we change it now in a remaster (not a remake)? There are workarounds to a lot of things, it doesn’t mean that just because a workaround exists we suddenly need to start changing everything in the game to make things simpler / easier. The shared stash replacing mule characters I can get on board with because it’s the exact same end result. The changing of the game mechanics of the cow level on the other hand (which is not something that is broken), that really feels like a step too far.

1 Like

This would be a great mid-way solution. Though my preference is to be able to kill King without worry, I’d love this approach, anything to help.

@rawdmon above:
No one besides you would claim Diablo 2’s ‘charm’ comes from getting blacklisted to never open a Cow Portal. I’ll judge the likes to your post as evidence of anyone agreeing vs the likes on my OP.

You should probably stick to D2LOD (non-remaster), so that you can get the truer experience if you are fearful of QOL changes. If you enjoy the original D2LOD charm, they why buy the remaster? They’ve already announced things that you would consider ‘softening’.

It also seems you’re not reading the other posts on this topic, as some others have addressed the questions you pose.

No one is asking to change ‘everything’. Those people who want everything changed will likely be happy with D4 or another ARPG.

Why can you get onboard with the increased stash space and shared stash? That’s a clear ‘softening’ of the ‘brutal and unforgiving’ D2. Meanwhile you cannot get on board with the Cow King issue, when alts opening the portal yields the ‘exact same end result’?

I don’t mean to come off as aggressively defending my OP or attacking your preference, but I hope this helps convinces you of what everyone else here is agreeing with.

10 Likes

yes I support killing the king again. If they want they can for example turn off all drops in the cow area after the king is killed, but let us open a new game and go to cow level again with drops again until somone kill him in that game also

I imagine the idea behind the cow level was farming for some loot in a a relatively easy area, provided you can take a strong melee hit or two and kill the cows. Dense mobs and a boost of good experience to get you started on the next difficulty.

I think they made it so you can’t open the portal after killing the king to encourage teamwork and/or to make it clear that it’s supposed to be a stepping stone to the next difficulty. All of that is pure speculation though.

The way the mechanic works is if someone who has not killed the king before kills him, he’ll drop a bunch of stamina potions. Now, anyone who has not killed the king who was in the cow level at the time can’t open the portal anymore. If someone who has already killed him before gets the killing blow, he’ll have a normal item drop and none of the people who can open the portal are penalized… even if they’re in the level at the time of the kill.

My opinion is that people made alt characters to open the portal and kill the king anyway so I’d agree with removing the stamina potion drop and not being able to open the portal penalty.

That said, I won’t cry if I have to make an alt like the good old days.

1 Like

You know it only locks you out of the cow level if you’re in a party with whoever kills the king, right?

It would still be nice to remove the restriction. The workaround of ‘use 1 character to make the portal, leave game, use another character to run cows, unparty to kill the king, reparty after’ is annoying but not that big a deal.

4 Likes

Agree. This would be great.

2 Likes

The one who Kill the Dear Cow King should be Blacklisted For killing the Holy Cow, not everyone in game.

4 Likes

I would be fine with this change either way. Everyone had a “cow portal opener” character anyways…this doesnt change the gameplay other than a minor convenience change.

5 Likes

Yes and in QA they stated they are fine with changes which would replace a workaround, eg. Shared dash instead of muling. So, why not get rid od this “open portal with an other char” workaround.

8 Likes

Hopefully they do change it. It definitely fits into one of those work around situations that they described.

7 Likes

yeah, after seeing them talk about that type of workaround and getting rid of them, it would almost be weird if they didn’t let everyone open cows

3 Likes