Akkhan set buff idea

Could possibly buff Akkhans set by giving it Phalanx bonus? No idea’s off the top of my head, but Akkhans is pretty weak and so are Phalanx runes. Would be nice to use the skill again like with horses or bowmen. Just an idea, open to discussion for good properties to add to it.

1 Like

While Phalanx has fallen behind other builds, you can still complete the full season journey and do roughly GR 110 or so with a LoN Phalanx set.

Akkhan’s is in a very precarious position atm. Akkhan-Condemn is still a solid build. It’s not as strong as AoV, nor as strong as LoN-Condemn, but it sits around GR 120 pretty comfy. Any buff to Akkhan’s is also a buff to Condemn - if Akkhan’s is brought up to LoN’s level, Condemn jumps up to the point that it can solo GR 150. It also bumps into Invoker’s toes due to Hack - At LoN lvls, it deals a third of the single target damage of Invoker, BUT has 10x the AoE capabilities of Invoker.

With that said, Phalanx, as well as Bombardment could use a few multipliers. One of the closest abilities to Phalanx/Bombardment, pre-buffs, was Heaven’s Fury - High damage-per-cast. It only had a single multiplier from Shield of Fury (Extra damage per tick, required some time to get running)

Blizz buffed it via a 5x damage buff on Weapon, 200x via 6 piece, and however much the 2 piece buffs it by. Of course, this made it too strong, so they dialed back the previous Shield buff to a max cap of 6x.

So, as we can see, for Phalanx to be at the level of AoV, it needs to have a combined multiplier of roughly 504x, not counting the 6 piece (With 6 piece, its a 100800x combined damage multiplier). Sheesh.

Buffing Akkhans alone isn’t going to give anywhere near that amount, and keep in mind that Condemn has a 192x damage multiplier, so a 5x buff to Akkhans winds up with Condemn dealing nearly 1000x damage, so can’t really work there.

Thus, the only solution left is to increase Phalanx’s multipliers one way or another. Fortunately, Phalanx DOES have a solid number of items already buffing it - 1 ring, 1 shield, 1 helm, and 1 2 handed flail. So all that needs to be done is to add, or buff the multipliers each one gives atm. The Ring only increases the duration, so we can safely buff it by 800%. Shield is 1.6x buff, along with a seperate 2x buff due to it doubling the number of Phalanxes summoned, so we can up the 1.6x to 3-4x safely. Warhelm of Cassar reduces the CD by 60% and gives a 1.6x multiplier as well - We can buff this to 800%.

Finally, the weapon makes every enemy you kill into a Phalanx. We have to be a bit careful when buffing this however - It currently has a maximum of 30 Phalanxes. While these Phalanxes do NOT benefit from a chosen rune, they do, however, benefit from things that buff Phalanx, and the amount of Phalanxes you can have up is easily 3x the damage of whichever rune you chose.

So, with the suggested buffs, we have a combined 648x damage multiplier - A bit on the higher side of things all told, but since we haven’t touched the weapon, the weapon requires Akarat’s Champion to work, we can go ahead and use Akkhans for this set, for a grand combined 7776x damage multiplier. Note that LoN would bring this up to roughly 64800, but since this build will likely use either Bowmen or Bodyguard - Both of which are CD based - you’d have to figure out where to use the wrath dump to get high uptime on Akarat’s.

So, yea, there ya have it. No need to buff Akkhan’s, just add some multipliers to a few of the Phalanx pieces and it’s golden.

I still think Akkhans is a bit lackluster tho as its only 1500% compared to many other sets buffing skills and damage way beyond that. My main complaint with Phalanx is that I just put together the best of the best set with the highest multipliers using legacy of dreams and the build does horrendous damage compared to other classes and skill with the same type of setup. It clear up to t12 at a mediocre speed, and thats with stopping to apply more damage buffs.
Really just sad bc I try over and over every season I play trying to make the bowmen speed clear build work but the damage multipliers supporting it just aren’t high enough. :frowning:

I wouldnt want Akkhan’s to become a phalanx build. I could see the unrelenting phalanx ring getting a damage boost, but this set is built to be generic rather than skill-specific.