Aegis of Valor: The New Fist of the Heavens Set

https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/23179288/patch-267-ptr-begins-1017-10-14-2019

New Crusader Set: Aegis of Valor

• 2-Piece Bonus: The charged bolts from Fist of the Heavens has a chance to cast another Fist of the Heavens
  • 4-Piece Bonus: Hitting with Fist of the Heavens reduces damage taken by 1% for 5 seconds. Stacks up to 50 times
  • 6-Piece Bonus: Increase the damage of Fist of the Heavens by 10,000%

Darklight (upgraded)

• Fist of the Heavens has a [45-60%] 100% chance to be cast twice.
  • Additional Legendary Power: Increases the damage of Fist of the Heavens by [200-250%].

Khasset’s Cord of Righteousness (Not Upgraded)

• Fist of the Heavens costs 40% less Wrath and deals 163% more damage. (Crusader Only) [130 - 170]%

Is this enough to be competitive? Depending upon the performance, I would like to see Phalanx included with the 6-piece set bonus.

2 Likes

My big takeaway is that only the 2-piece power is at all unique. The rest is just generic mitigation and generic damage buff.

4 Likes

This.

Unless that 2-piece power procs a lot… I don’t see a point in this Set. Hopefully the 4-piece can gain multiple stacks if you hit multiple enemies.

All in all this set will need a buff to be competitive. Compare these bonuses to something like Blessed Hammer. Bonuses don’t come close to each other imo.

Missing a Shield (off hand) for the build. If they add that it might get closer.

I’m disappointed to say the least in the design of the set. Hopefully they’ll at least make it powerful.

5 Likes

The 2 pc is basically the existing Darklight power.

2 Likes

Any changes to all the other buggy runes? If not Fissure is still the only rune that works. And the Fissure rune only does damage with the incredibly fast stacking lightning arcs in between. The initial damage is ridiculous low. So no direct casting on mobs but nearby as we used to play it in 2014.

That french guy demonstrated that quite well in this old vid:

[Action starts at 11:00]

Or does the new 2-piece-bonus the same often enough now?

I’m impatiently waiting for the 1st PTR results :slight_smile: FoTH is one of my fav spell in the game.

Boring set, nothing interesting about it design wise.
At the very least include some interaction with other spells that make sense thematically (e.g. Smite, Heaven’s Fury), otherwise there is no point to this set (use LoD instead)

4 Likes

Something tells me the survival is going to be rough on PTR.

• Rolands gets 56% DR and easy way to keep up Iron Skin, high APS is high recovery. (thx HK)
  • Invokers gets extra 50% DR from free slot for Aquilas, high APS is high recovery.
  • Akkhans gets perma AC with 56% CDR, and now up to 84% DR w/ CC3
  • Seekers gets high recovery from Johannas’s APS buff w/ LpH affixes.
  • LoN gets to equip pretty much anything needed.

My guess is that the set is going to feel more dangerous than Hammerdin. You’ll be forced into CC3 w/ Unstoppable force for extra mitigation. Since you’ll be cubing Khasset’s Cord, you won’t be able to squeeze in stone gauntlets (unless they hole-punch one of these armor slots: boots, gaunts or legs slot).

We might need to push for:

1. An upgrade to Khasset’s Cord, such that it gives 40% RCR to everything, after using FotH, so it synergizes with CC3. (might benefit LoD Condemn too)
  2. AoV (Aegis of Valor’s) 4-piece buff gives 50% DR automatically, then increases by another 25%, or gives 50% RCR too.
  3. AoV’s 2-piece or 4-piece, hits reduce the cooldown of conviction abilities for perma AC.
  4. AoV’s 4-piece bonus now permanently grants Laws of Justice w/ Decaying Strength. (i like this one).

We will see on Thursday.

3 Likes

Roland 6p DR stacks are multiplicative with each other, not additive. The total DR is around 56%.

Note that D3planner also shows 75% DR at 5 stacks, but it is wrong.

Oh wow, I didn’t realize that. It will still feel safer.

No, please no.
Sets are about playstyles/lore/concepts, even if it’s underwhelming… Not about throwing in every unused skill ever. They did that with Helltooth and it’s a disaster.

I hope that the charged bolts have a very high proc chance so we see lots of beams. Maybe they will make an exception and let procs proc again so we see a chain reaction of FotH. Time will tell

2 Likes

Generally, engaging game play involves doing more than pushing 1 button + utilities/defense. Good itemization should allow items to be multipurpose. On paper this set is quite… linear and mirrors other sets.

No one is saying to get rid of FotH, or the procs – IMHO it’d be more interesting if both FotH and Phalanx were both damagers and instead of the 2-piece proccing more FotH (cause the weapon does this already), make it proc phalanx soldiers with inclusion of a heavy 6p bonus to phalanx (15000%) in addition to the already existing FotH 10,000% bonus.

Now the set can be run with multiple elements and skills – and all of the nuances of which passives to choose, which element combos work best, which legendary items work best, etc. It’s all up for exploration. Right now this leaves very little for the imagination (we know belt, weapon, captain crimson, endless walk, etc – pretty much the same configuration as Hammerdin, and Rolands)

Phalanx doesn’t fit the theme, for the rest I agree with you. Like Zeromancer said above Smite, Heaven’s fury fit the theme more.

5 Likes

I’d love to have it synergize with falling sword. “When you’re landing after having used falling sword, casts fist of the heavens on all the mobs in a 50 yards radius”.
Unfortunately they “gave” falling sword to hammerdin…
But imagine falling down and everything gets smited from the heavens as you do.

3 Likes

I would not expect actual mechanic changes to the proposed set, that would require far more coding than the developers are willing to do. Your best bet is to champion for a simple number increase on what was proposed by the developers.

What is the theme? Is this based on something?

What are your spec ideas for the new set with todays items / abilities?

That guy here cleared a GR82 on the 2.6.1 PTR server some years ago with Akkhans and a 2 hand weapon.

I only knew abou the kinda standard spec with wearing darklight and furnace in cube for high aps

Yeah in patch notes it said something about holy warrior of heaven or something. I think bringing down heavens wrath is what they’re going for, which is different than the Lord commander theme.

This is how they put it:

we’re focusing on the two classes that embody the Light and wield some form of Holy elemental damage

That just prefaces the classes receiving new sets, monk and sader are the only classes with holy elemental. It is not defining the set theme. Unless there is more written about it elsewhere or if this set pays homage to previous Diablo games, I wouldn’t let a few words get in the way of shaping what we all might collectively play for thousands of hours. The gameplay comes first for me, that is just my preference.

I briefly tested FotH yesterday, I did not try Fissure. Is it like DH slowball, but has to be cast around the trash pack instead of on top of it? Benefits from Attack Speed? Does it work with AD at all?

This is the original guide for 2.1 from a guy that finished a GR37 with FoTH Fissure during the time when everyone doing condemn GR 45+ with both Akkhans:

Diablo Fans Builds 6420-god-of-lightning-the-guide-to-fist-of-the-heavens
(I’m not allowed to link it directly)

He tested all the FotH runes and came out with fissure.

Long time ago. His guide was awesome and made me play FoTH a lot during that time.

I do think that the basic meta playstyle will be quite the same (creating a fissure pattern around mobs), but we do have a new set now, a belt and some other stuff.

This set as the monk set seems very undertuned and squishy compared to the otheres.

2 Likes