Add recipe "reforge primal ancient legendary"

TL:DR = Add cube recipe

reforges an existing primal ancient item to a new version of the same primal ancient item.

cost: 300 primordial ashes + 3000 deaths breaths

this would work the same way as reforge legendary item, except you have to put a primal item in and the reforge keeps it being primal, it just rerolls all the affixes as if its a new drop of the same item.

reasoning:
you grind a long long time to find those primals, if you get one for your set/build theres a very real chance thats the only time in the season youll ever get that particular item as a primal. so if its got bad stats and you cant use it that kind of sucks.

now rng is rng, there should be a chance it sucks, thats fine. but it would be cool if there was a way to grind the materials to have another shot at it. it should take a lot of materials, grinding 300 prim ashes per shot is a lot of work but it gives you something to work towards.

the game should have a lot of rng, thats what makes looting games fun. finding the primal in the first place is massive rng, but its also good to then have realistic goals you can work towards. say you need to roll it 3 times to get it how you want it, thats 900 ashes and 9000 dbs, that could be a couple of weeks grinding for the ashes. i would argue that D3 among many current arpgs are struggling to give people a reason to play for more than couple of weeks to begin with because people run out of things they can realistically pursue. They dont have full primal gear, but thats not a realistic goal so theres no motivation there, finding another 300 primordial ashes for another shot at rerolling that item is achievable, desirable but is also not a trivial task, theres still an rng luck element to it and it adds more value to all primal drops because you never know when your next primal could be something amazing that will need 600-1200 ashes to reroll.

2 Likes

I support this idea. Finding the right primal with wrong stats is very frustrating, this would give a chance at fixing the item instead of just salvaging it.

1 Like

They already have a Recipe for this and it only costs 100 Primordial Ashes:

And…   before you ask…   Yes, I’ve already tried it.

4 Likes

That is incorrect. The recipe you show doesn’t require a primal as ingredient and you also can only equip one of these which makes it useless for the OPs scenario

Sorry, but you’re wrong. It requires a LEGENDARY item.

Legendary items are:

• Legendary items
  • Set items
  • Primal items
  • Crafted Primal items

And, like I said, I’ve ALREADY tried this. I upgraded my Yang’s Recurve from Legendary to Primal. But, it ended up with too many bad Properties. So, I “upgraded” it again for another 100 Primordial Ashes and got one with one bad Property, which I then enchanted for a usable Property.

That’s true. But, I don’t expect Blizzard will add another Reforge/Upgrade Recipe.

Not that I’m against it. And there’s no harm in suggesting it.

It’s more like we need a change to the reforge recipe. Right now the bottleneck is souls.

If it was cheaper we could farm and reforge to our heart’s content, and still have to work for it.

That’s what this thread is about. A suggestion to give us a primal reroll without equip limit

It’s either useless and becomes another batch of Primordial Ashes, or it’s so utterly good that you tweak your build around its quirks. There is no inbetween. It’s a loot hunt game, and after spending a few hundred hours on one character you’ll adorn them with all sorts of Primals even with this low chance of Primal loot.
Primals are not even mandatory either, before you can find a divine Primal with perfect affixes, more likely you’ll encounter an Ancient with a very good stat combination. Deviation of main stat and potential damage or toughness loss, could be mended when you can afford to augment them further and in the end, you decide if it worths it or not.

Crafted Primals only allowed once, so dedicated players would have a sink for Ashes, and power gap between casuals and dedicated players won’t get wider. Consider the impact of what you wanted. Before a casual can achieve anything dedicated players would get it faster and use it more effectively, thanks to massive resources they stocked at hand. That’s called game balance.

For future reference, if you didn’t know, to save yourself on ashes, salvage the bad primal and upgrade another legendary. Otherwise you waste 55 ashes each time you reroll the same primal.

3 Likes

I dont understand… you HAVE that same thing for the cost of 100 ashes and thats it…

Find 1 primal. Salvage it.
Salvage the primal you are using that you dont like.

Upgrade a normal version of the item you want using the recipe…

Too expensive. 300 ashes = 6 primals = 2400 legendaries found for 1 reroll. Many gear slots (rings, ammys, weapons, offhand) will average 10 - 20 rerolls to get the right one, so 24,000 - 48,000 legendaries found if you are lucky. I know it rains legendaries, but this is still a ton to simply fix something that is “perfect”, but it is not.

Reforge Primal Recipe should take an existing Primal and reroll it to a Primal while costing the same as a regular reforge. Players are punished by getting a poorly rolled Primal. They shouldn’t be punished again by spending a ton of time trying to fix it.

Inb4 “But this will make all players wearing nothing but Primals!!!”. Think about how long it takes to get 13 Primals, rolled correctly or not, from random RNG drops or reforges. It is going to take several 100 hours or more for this. Very, very few players play several hundred hours in a season, so very, very few players will ever achieve the 13 Primal scenario.

1 Like

He wants to be able to equip the item. With the recipe we have we can only equip one and if you find a primal for another slot it either has to roll perfect or you won’t be able to use it, since even rerolling doesn’t allow you to use it afterwards.

As if that were even a bad thing. Everyone know that the power increase between ancients and primals is very low. There is no harm in players being able to run around in all primals.
Those leaderboard fanatics should even embrace the change, since it offers a more even playingfield for pushes

2 Likes

quite a few people in this thread dont seem to understand the difference between the 1 off upgrade we already have and what ive suggested. im not gonna respond to all of them individually, just reread my initial post and it will makes sense. this is a different thing to the upgrade craft.

Crafted Primals only allowed once, so dedicated players would have a sink for Ashes, and power gap between casuals and dedicated players won’t get wider. Consider the impact of what you wanted. Before a casual can achieve anything dedicated players would get it faster and use it more effectively, thanks to massive resources they stocked at hand. That’s called game balance.

its an arpg, this wouldnt rly change the game balance. dedicated players dont have a sink for ashes, they make 1-3 items for their character and then the ashes just start piling up. people are supposed to get more powerful over time, diablos item system does not have the scope to allow for a wide swing in balance via items. were talking about primals vs what people otherwise use which is ancients. its like 20 strength here, 14 all resist there, its nothing in terms of power creep, absolutely meaningless.

Players are punished by getting a poorly rolled Primal. They shouldn’t be punished again by spending a ton of time trying to fix it.

i dont rly see it as punishment, i see it as a reason to keep playing. im not suggesting a system to easily make every primal we find perfect because i personally dont believe that should exist. i think this would give medium and long term goals back to a game that severely lacks them with minimal game balance impact.

And, like I said, I’ve ALREADY tried this. I upgraded my Yang’s Recurve from Legendary to Primal. But, it ended up with too many bad Properties. So, I “upgraded” it again for another 100 Primordial Ashes and got one with one bad Property, which I then enchanted for a usable Property.

i have upgraded 5 items so far this season using that method on the 2 characters ive rolled. im wearing 6 primals between the 2 of them, i have 10 primals in my stash i dont currently have equipped and i have 325 primal ashes.

im paragon 1009 in season, i completed the entire guardian season journey and got the pet on i think day 3. i am aware of the current options we have, ive played a good 5k hours of d3, 15k hours of poe, ive mirrored 3 items over there in the past 3 months. im 41 years old, played diablo 1 since launch in the 90s, 2, 3, 4, played them all first month of release. im not an elite arpg player by any stretch but im a journeyman of the genre, i get on the leaderboards of my class every season.

i understand the way the game works and what im suggesting here, its accessibility, its impacts. its a considered suggestion from a reasonably informed position.

1 Like

The Recipe DOES NOT say “upgrade a non primal to a primal” !

It says “Upgrade Legendary item”.

Crafted Primal items CAN BE rerolled using Ashes again !

Primal items ARE Legendary items!

This is true.

Don’t need to. We know what you want. We hope you get it.

But, to be honest with you, any Recipe that requires 300 Primordial Ashes + 3,000 Death’s Breaths is one I doubt I will ever use. (I can’t speak for anyone else).

I’m not sure what you use your DBs and Primordial Ashes on, but for me both keep piling up. It was like that in S28 and is like that again in S29.
I sure would have a use for the recipe. I wouldn’t care if the costs would be altered, alone its existence would improve the game for me.

However I can only speak for myself, there are probably a lot of players that wouldn’t use the recipe (just like a ton of player also never used the reroll item recipe since it required bounty mats)

The thing is, instead of suggesting a new Cube Recipe, @Snorkle should have suggested the removal of the “Only one upgraded Primal Item may be worn at a time”  restriction.

That would solve this issue and a new Recipe would not be needed.

(Some people just want to complicate things).

1 Like

Depends, the current recipe is really cheap for it to be uncapped.

Not that I’m against it, but 100 Primordial ashes and nothing else, not even an ancient base item, is quite cheap

1 Like

Why not just change the Reforge Legendary recepie, so that it doesn’t reroll the Ancient or Primal Ancient property of the item?

4 Likes