About legendaries and rares on D4

Still feels bad when 90% of your drops are screen clutter simply due to rarities.

I feel like that rares have a much higher variance than legendaries and that would add a cool layer of customization to characters.

Here is how I would do it personally:

Rares would have the ability to be the absolute best stat sticks when rolling near perfection; however, legendary items would always give the benefit of unique modifiers and interactions with skills.

Rares have a place for ‘Timmy’ players (Magic term) and could certainly be part of a top-flight build.

1 Like

I like this, rares having the best stats (if you are really lucky) bit legendaries being the best option IF you actually use their abilities.

1 Like

There might exist other mechanics that change this - for example they could make us use the magic and rares that drop with sockets for D2-like runewords if these appear.

That is the thing, the legendary items should be better only if the power is useful to you, the stats shouldn’t be higher*. In that case, the rare item could be better bcs you get an extra stat.

*What i mean is the base: the stats will be random inside of a certain range.

I already wrote the current idea of the developers is that special legendary power to always be most useful for you, because this would create the most build diversity options when each Season they introduce new mechanics serving for meta game shifts.

Yes, if it is a skill you use, but if it isn’t or it is a skill of another class, then no. As it looks right now, even if it is a skill you don’t use, the item still looks better (maybe the exception is if it one has sockets and the other don’t).

1 Like

I never meant that the useful uniques wouldn’t be the best choice I just don’t expect us to use every item slot in uniques that benefit the skills we use at the moment, and the remaining slots could be filled with rares that have a larger variance and provide the more generic bonuses.

As you said you use items that improve skills AB&C but what will fill the remaining slots? Other legendaries for skills DEF&G that you don’t use, simply because they have better stats.

ABC was just an example.

The player decides whether to stack 10 legendaries buffing 1 skill or 6 different skills.

There would also be combos from legendaries - for example in the demo there was hydra from a legendary, with another one you might make such creatures more aka 3 hydras.

Rares won’t be equal or close to legendaries because:

1. They afraid of creating a sub-market and don’t want item flippers to influence the market by inflation.
  2. They will go for control model by making Legendaries or Sets more powerful. No matter what they insist or say.

Still “clear experience” and “linear progress” are their mottos, you don’t need to look too far to see it. They don’t care about a sustainable model, their playerbase wants to see “progress” and they think it will bring engagement at long term.
If Rares had any sort of potential to be better than legendaries, those rare items will circulate among the market for profits and will cause a drop in legendary prices that you can trade once. This will cause a frown on the people who dream of selling their trashy legendary for bigger bux.

They had many opportunities to turn this around in D3, they simply didn’t; not because it wasn’t profitable but not disturbing “game balance”. It sucked, okay? Some tweaks at skill system would make Rares a stepstone and creating a potential market shouldn’t have scared them this much.
I mean, I’m aware that I’m trying to criticize people who are more informed and experienced about digital economics but it still feels wrong.

1 Like

They can keep mythic as it’s interesting and only one can be equipped.

However, multiple tiers of legendary items need to be disposed of ASAP. Just have legendary items and make them great to repeatedly find…no need for ancient versions etc.

Very few people seem to enjoy have multiple tiers of the same item, why does Blizzard keep pushing this?

1 Like

Honestly I will not be worried, since Rares are unlikely to have the special modifiers that legendaries / mythic have. And those can make all break builds.

Like the SoJ +1 to all skills is obviously something a rare won’t have.

I feel like that’s even worse, you chose the skills and to perform at your best you need to use the uniques that benefit them, no options, you already have a map on what to do fixed for you.

Why no options? They plan to add many legendaries for each skill.

You would need to do a CHOICE exactly HOW to buff your skills.

I feel like by having multiple legendaries affect the same skill at a time will just create an even bigger dependency on them, you are going to be encouraged to just stacking the benefits on a same skill

This depends on the Key dungeon you are about to visit - for some might be optimal to buff a particular skill, for others different skills.

But then I won’t really have a build if I need to change my items according to what I’m doing.

You’ll have more builds than just one. The number would depend on exact number of activities you are participating in - events, quests, Boss fights, Key dungeons, PvP…

Just as in real life you change your clothes depending on the activity you do, you will change your gear depending on what you will farm in Diablo 4.

But why? That has nothing to do with Diablo, alternative gear shouldn’t be a thing, I’ve never carried a secondary weapon in D2 besides call to arms…

It will be a big thing since if you farm everything with one build you won’t be optimal.

Think about this: Are you optimal in RL if you go sporting with your business clothes? No. But you could still do it. That’s the case with the builds.