A quick guide for optimizing Squirts with Gizzard gem/Fortress Ballista

@Jako,

EF=Evasive Fire generator. I use it to activate Wraps of Clarity.

Cool, Haybaler. Sorry if my post came off as an accusation. I was doing 110 in non season with this set up but not quite as fast you, though I’m about 700 or so paragon behind you too.

It’s just awesome that they did something to boost UE’s defense. Gave it a damage boost too. I like that. I like that a lot. lol

Edit: Sheesh didn’t scroll down far enough to see someone had already answered you Jako. My apologies.

2 Likes

The reason why is because with the seasonal buff, UE6/CC3 feels really strong, strong enough to practically walk through the rift like N6/M4 cold hybrid. They’re not at the point where they have to start pulling to utilize AD (most don’t even have AD rolled on gear), therefore can stay far back and just kill everything in sight.

The moment where killing everything in sight isn’t enough, it becomes impossible to run squirts without gizzard because you’re going to take poke damage with 30+ mobs and 2 elite packs on the screen, and even then it’s tough.

If anything, it goes to show how strong squirts/CC3 is for consistent clearing, which has gotten a huge buff. I’ve enjoyed watching you post your progress and updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m appr. 800 para in seasons & found damage was way down with Gizzard vs Stricken. RG took forever & found I couldn’t clear 103 in time whereas I managed with BotS.
I can’t get my head around how it’s working for others . Maybe it shines in higher GR’s than I’ve been doing ?

I’m also using this Gizzard version and so far I kinda like it.
Solo player other than helping ppl with boosts,etc.

Did a 107 just now with 1 min left so I guess thats my limit currently but my gear is not yet complete,missing 5 augments and my Ancient DML needs to be replaced cause its meh with the 154% multi dmg.

Para 980 ‘~16k total DEX’ with around 600k life/273k shield.
Gizzard is only lvl 93 tho.

Will try to finish the build and sort my gear out before the weekend and do a final push,110 would be my Seasonal goal but I have my doubts,not having Stricken is starting to hurt.

Edit:

Switched to a ‘better’ non ancient DML until I can get a half decent Ancient,damn that thing really is giving me the middle finger.:neutral_face:

I’m thinking I’ll probably have to break down and do some public bounties. I’ve got enough souls for 70 re-rolls which equates to about 15 full bounties. If I do them on my own it could take the rest of the day on the other hand, doing them in a public game will take maybe two hours tops.

I was really hoping to avoid anything that wasn’t solo.

On another note. I crafted a new set of Captain Crimsons with regen on pants and belt. Raised my Shield to 344,584 and lowered life to 168,770. Toughness went down to 172,546,656/342,298,208 w/EF. But doing the math Iria noted my shield effective toughness went up about 50 million to just under 700 million.

I really want to try for a better DML, not that the one I have is too shabby, but I’ve got it to where I can roll Area Damage on my Yangs and shoulders, and I’d like to get a DML with Area damage instead of cooldown and a better multiplier.

Nothing to report as far as going higher in the leaderboard.

3 Likes

Spotted this too. Wasn’t sure - maybe Gogok evasion luck, I thought.
Similar are these reflect damage effects. Always panic - evade evade - but they don’t seem to reset it. Not really sure.

Elite effects have been strange since the beginning, though. Some don’t work with dogde, some do. And some don’t even work with elite damage.

I have been playing around with Gizzard and CC on EU HC seasonal with my farm character, particularly experimenting with gear in the cube. Gems are Gizzard, Zeis and Taeguk (I play strafe / multi with a 2-3 multi stutter). My gear is not great at present, with zero augs.

The oddball thing is that I am running Topaz in the helm with about 800 Paragon. CDR is about 45% and RCR 75-79% depending on what is cubed, running around 290k base toughness, 550k life and a shield of around 280k. T16 farm and GR85 or so is my present runs.

Generally a single 2 shot burst will wipe out all but elites who take another 1-2 burst shots to kill. In the cube…

Krelms for speed during rifts and low GR or bounties. Prides fall or Leorics is the go-to for higher GR, or if I am low on gold (its 100M+ for ebhanced rifts) then I’ll swap gizzard out for Boon and use goldwrap cubed. Leorics in the cube actually provides more base toughness than Gunes !

I experimented with Hexing pants, but if i fired any more than 1 volley of multi then it dropped off the 25% damage bonus. Aquillas is also an option, and possibly a skilled player could run Vengeance / Dark Heart rather than seethe to utilize the cube slot for more defense. I imagine 1B+ is possible with this.

Bracers is either Nemesis or Warzechians for farm GR and bounty or wraps for higher GR.

Edit: Just ran a quick GR85 before work with Vengeance / Dark heart. Toughness with 10 stacks of Taeguk was 7xxM using Leorics in cube, 968M using Prides fall, Topaz in helm. Sheet damage with Taguk stacks 1.5M vs 1M without.

I had no issues keeping up hatred, though i did have to use evasive fire a little more than usual due to dropping seethe. Maybe dropped squurts stacks 2 times in the run but this was due to me not really being focused on avoiding damage.

Maybe I will drop focus & restraint for a fear / speed build tonight and drop the GR a little to see how quickly i can get those gem up runs done.

3 Likes

Well, yesterday I was so unenthused to run public bounties, that I tried to push a 112 without major changes to my gear. Didn’t work out. So this morning I did my 15 public bounty games and was immediately reminded why I don’t like public bounty games. I don’t want this to turn into a rant so I’ll just leave that there.

Tried to re-forge a better DML and didn’t have any luck in 70 tries. That bummed me out a bit more than the absurdity that takes place in public bounty games. lol

I did earn a few more paragon and shot for a 112 again about an hour ago. Within 10 keys I got a dream grift. Battlefields and Festering Woods, good mobs, even had Hamlin as the boss and I wound up missing the timer by 19 sec. Double Bummer.

Later on, I’ll farm some more keys and throw my last two augments on. After that, 112 should be in the bag. lol

I decided to give this a shot without tweaking my gear to just get a feel for it, and was able to close a 114 last night on seasonal. Rift was nothing special, got a 2 pack conduit but the maps were mediocre. 1270 paragon and roughly 13k dex.

I did notice significantly more squirts uptime, just struggling a bit with sacrificing a legendary gem slot to turn on the amulet. It feels like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I actually think fire is better than physical for this setup - trying to kill the guardian without rockets OR stricken just doesn’t sound like a good time. I also would not run EF:Hardened if I did it over again - I noticed it only during the boss fight when I had to left click more than usual. (Hexing pants / Prides fall cubers won’t have this issue, I was running Magefist).

Fixing the frozen and poison affix bugs would go a long way towards pushing this build to the next level… Not gonna hold my breath though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, 112 is in the books at 13:29.050 on the clock good for rank 60 as of this posting.

Ten more bounties, 5 on my own and 5 in public and finally got a decent upgrade on my DML. Lost some cooldown and 2 discipline but the multiplier made up for it. My Life went up thanks to Vitality on the quiver, would have preferred something else there but that increase in multi-plier was too good to pass up. Threw a 505 augment on it and called it good enough.

Stats:
Life: 276,145
Shield: 344,584 (effective toughness 735,799,794)
Sheet Toughness: 297,403,040/589,583,168 w/EF
Paragon: 1224
Dexterity: 17,346

2 Likes

Got a 105 with just under 900 para and a pretty average Yangs. Gear’s about as unoptimized as it can be.

2 Likes

Well done, Varadia. Well done.

1 Like

Gratz to ya both on the clears!!

Got me a 100 last night with gear that is assuredly worse than Var’s :rofl::rofl: and at sub 750 paragon so I’m pretty damn happy outside of blowing all my mats and now have to grind farming until the new CR at least. Gotta do a few bounty runs since I need to cube a Broken Crown and am out of most bounty mats.

1 Like

Managed to finish my Seasonal ‘goal’ with a bit of luck.

Leveled my last augment gem today and did some last try reforges and got a better Focus with the last reforge.
Ended up using a Non ancient DML since it would be hard to replace that with a mediocre Ancient and 1 augment did not worth it for me.

Finished Stats were like:

1081 Para/16.300 Dex/1600 All Res/500k HP/290K Gizzard Shield and around ~60 hours spent on the char.

Managed 110 with a Power Pylon at the RG ‘3 mins left’,maybe with enough fishing 111 would go down but I really don’t like doing that and 110 was my goal so I’m satisfied.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Awesome, MrGatto. Well done.

Just a quick rant…

I’ve been trying a 113 all day. Normally, I don’t get upset by this game but if Blizzard isn’t going to fix the Frozen affix/Squirt’s bug then they should just make all mobs with the frozen affix Juggernauts because that’s what they equate to when half your damage is removed through no fault of your own.

Like I said, I don’t usually get bothered but I had several good runs stopped in their tracks just by one affix showing up. It got to a point that as soon as I saw those ice circles form, it was back to town and reload the game time because it just isn’t worth it to fight them. Sure I could skip, but when I did that, later on down the road there would be another. And you can’t kite them like you would a Juggernaut because their affix won’t even let you kill them in density.

Okay, rant over. I feel slightly better now. lol

3 Likes

I am back to Gogok for now. GR110 down in 12:21 (first try, good first map, no power pylon), 7 augments so far, P1140.

I am getting some little hatred issues now with Gogok, IAS on gloves, and only 43% on Yang, but it feels like a Diamond in helm is stronger than a Topaz for more RCR. Maybe because that way I am forced to use a generator more often and therefore don’t loose full F+R every now and then.

But regarding gizzard: Got a Primal Crimson belt with %life and skill damage. What do you think would be better for Gizzard? Armor or LifeReg? - Of course I tried to get an ancient one with AR, but no luck so far …

That’s the reason why I don’t do fishing (mostly). If I don’t get in in 5-10 trials, I stop. It’s not worth it, imho. But good luck to you!

1 Like

That ‘rant’ is more than warranted and can relate to it.

Almost failed my 109 run cause of trash affixes on my second GR level ‘Arreat Crater’.
I was considering on leaving but skipped the entire level instead and got a better third level and I barely finished that run with ~40 seconds left,my 110 run was way smoother/easier.

Some ground effects instantly remove my Squirt’s bonus trough my Shield as soon as I touch them,same goes for certain RGs.
Quite annoying indeed…

2 Likes

Yep, I noticed, the Butcher’s and Agnidox’s burning pentagram ground effect removes it too. So that’s Ghom, the Butcher, Agnidox, and to a certain extent the succubus one that are complete no-go’s unless under certain circumstances. Perdition is also a boss that I just end the game and start over.

Finally!!!
113 down with less than 10 seconds left on the timer. Good for Rank 61 as of this posting.

Several things were different going in. I found a chest piece, non ancient, that had life regen and rolled resistance to elite damage onto it. On my primal shoulders and bow rolled Resource cost reduction off and replaced it with cooldown, and I went back to using Emeralds over diamonds.

Stats:
Paragon 1251
Dexterity, 18,803
Life: 276,145
Shield: 356,484 (effective toughness: 487,181,799)
Sheet Toughness: 188,676,208/377,367,776 w/EF

Edit #3:
I did run into one frozen affix in the run which was back to back Battlefields with Succubus and Morlu, but they were cadavers and a power pylon was right next to them. Only hit me once with the affix before they were gone. The guardian was Bloodmaw, so I lucked out there too.

I’d like to get through 115, which is my highest in any mode with an Impale build. If I can do 115 with about 3/4 the paragon this season with UE, I’ll more than satisfied.

1 Like