A quick guide for optimizing Squirts with Gizzard gem/Fortress Ballista

One noob question, does non-vit (e.g. all resist) toughness improve resilience of the shield ?

As far as I can tell yes. A stat like All Resist or Armor improves the durability of the shield. Rolling off vit just gives a more accurate reading of your toughness and the shield’s toughness without being bloated by how much life you have.

I think that’s what Iria was getting at. You can have a bunch of life and your sheet toughness will go up but the shield’s toughness doesn’t. But other stats that improve your toughness also improves your shield’s durability.

2 Likes

Your shield is basically a life extension, so all forms of damage reduction apply to it. You can estimate the strength of your shield by multiplying your toughness by the shield to life ratio (as I mentioned in an earlier post).

In Idolis’ case, with 367M toughness, 214k life, 310k shield; the shield to life ratio is about 1.449, so the shield’s durability is about 532M toughness worth.

While vitality and life +% does nothing for the shield directly it can be used indirectly to boost your shield if you use Smokescreen - Healing Vapors, the Brooding passive, or are under the effect of a life percentage based recovery (e.g. Barb’s Inspiring Presence, Witch Doctor’s Big Bad Voodoo - Ghost Trance, etc.).

3 Likes

Thanks…U guys are awesome…:slight_smile:

How about Bottomless Potion of Amplification? It seems to give a nice +25% of Life Regen also when I quickly tested it.

edit. but doesnt seem to give a bigger shield… bummer

Good find.

Strange that it doesn’t work. Would have definitely been the better potion.

Please do!!! There are plenty of us sitting at much lower paragon than guys like DiE (no offense but a 110 “speed” and 120+ clear is probably beyond most players especially sub 2k NS) that want to have an idea about what it can clear at “average” paragon - like when I get to 800+ (hopefully with a lot of grinding this 3 day weekend)…

My top clear NS is 114 with Hybrid and that was about 13 and change and done around 1700 paragon…so I’m stoked both ways (other than having to replace a Primal legacy Squirt’s). i rolled a Primal CC piece NS already (and Primal Aug in S18 before finally getting the CC plans in S18 last night).

3 Likes

Thanks PMG.

I was able to beat a 110 just now, which put me back in the top 50 just barely but I might already be out of as of this posting.

Changed some things in the build. Switched from my primal DML to an Ancient that had cooldown on it and was able to roll Multi-shot onto it. The multiplier was only 181% but with those attributes, quick math told me it was still better.

Also changed a passive from Ambush to Cull the Weak. And also changed my cube from Pride’s Fall to Gunes and put diamonds back in my equipment instead of emeralds.

Even at that I only had less than 5 seconds to spare.

Got Voracity as the Rift Guardian but it was the Halls of Agony map and I was able to get him stuck on a pillar so he couldn’t summon a poison cloud under me after he had already did it twice. Without that bit of luck I probably would have failed the rift.

Stats were:

Sheet Toughness: 236 million/462 with EF.
Life: 241,000
Shield: 310,000

2 Likes

110 is quite impressive, well done!

I am at GR105 in 9:54. Failed a 104 before some upgrades, which induced some other changes: Found a nice pair of primal shoulders, and didn’t want to roll CDR on it, but AD. Then my CDR was too low for perma vengeance, so I needed a diamond in the helm. By that, my RCR became too low, and swapped Gunes with Prides Fall … and with that, I tried Gizzards one more time instead of Gogok.

What can I say … it’s working :bow_and_arrow: . I think the combination is important. Just swapping one item/roll (like Gogok vs. Gizzard, without other changes) doesn’t make much sense in many cases.

btw.: Do you also notice that Squirts bonus doesn’t fall off when you actually take damage by Thunderstorm? I even keep the buff after a proc of Awareness sometimes … something is very strange with this item. :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, you really have to be careful when you’re switching gear. I’ve found it easier to just rely on Diamond in Helm, Captain Crimson’s, paragon to get the full uptime on vengeance. That way, if I switch a gear piece and it happens to have cooldown on it, it’s just gravy. Makes gear swapping and experimenting easier.

As far as Thunderstorm, I noticed something funny with it but because I’m running Perfectionist over Awareness, I couldn’t place my finger on it. If you say that’s what it is, I believe it. I knew there was something off when I got hit by the lightning.

Y’all on hc? Sc? I’m thinking of trying gizzard

I’m playing softcore but I think it’s useable in hardcore. But when you’re leveling or don’t have much paragon, using Squirt’s is quite risky. I’ve been killed in T16 by those fat guys in Act 5 that throw cold balls of energy and lay down cold streaks on the ground when I’ve been unprepared. That’s with my build though.

I think if you kept most vitality, the gizzard would be a boon for Hardcore. That’s just my opinion though.

I just completed a 111 with 13 seconds on the button remaining, good for rank 51 as of this posting. Yesterday while leveling gems for augments, I found a primal Wraps of Clarity with Cold damage, Dex, 10,000 life regen, and crit chance, so I rolled the cold to fire and put a 505 augment on it.

After that, I ran some 111’s but my damage wasn’t quite enough to complete in time, I’d fish for a good rift, get a good guardian, and I’d wind up a few seconds to a minute short of the timer.

I would have leveled another augment gem but my wife and I went to a wedding reception for someone she works with. Had some fun, drank too much, a good time was had by all. lol.

Anyway, this morning, I went ahead and leveled another gem, threw that augment on and did some more fishing. And bingo, 111 complete.

Stats were:

Paragon 1111
241,145 life
316,914 shield
253,731,056 toughness (503,389,536 w/EF)

1 Like

I did a 110 last night in just over 6 minutes . Not using Gizzard , I am going with Gogok gem and Cindercoat on cube . Feels pretty good and I can get higher easy . just messing around with it at the moment .

I’m kinda enjoying Gogok/Magefist.

What Region and is it season or non season?

I looked in the America’s and didn’t see your name on the seasonal leaderboards.

I’m not doubting you but I just wanted to see how much paragon you had if it was season. I’ve played the season all solo and only have 1120 or so paragon.

There’s lots of folks ahead of me that are using Stricken over Gogok or Gizzard. At any rate, I pretty much enjoy this build and am just seeing how far I can push it. Having a competition with myself so to speak.

I’m in America’s Region playing Non-season . My paragon is at 2942 . Gear can still use some tweaking but not bad . Actually having fun with UE for a change now with the new Crimson gears .

1 Like

Idolis what do you mean when you say EF? Only EF I can think of is Echoing Fury. Drawing a blank on anything else.

EF means Evasive Fire

1 Like

Aha. Yep. Wasn’t even considering that.