A personal commentary on the Wizard

So as everyone here probably knows by now, this entire game revolves around sets and how good they are at buffing certain skills and mitigating imminent death to go as far as possible through the rifts, and the wizard is no exception to set reliance as everyone else is, but i did want to say before just immediately launching into a break down of what is wrong with the sets, i did want to say that the wizard is perhaps the most… lets say “mechanically sound” class in the game, such that, outside of a few outliers that could honestly just be outright removed as skills, there’s typically a reason to use everything for one reason or another.

Set breakdown time:

Tal’Rasha: my beef with Tal’rasha was considerably mitigated with the inclusion of stone of jordans legendary affix, but the set still suffers in the form of a lack of direction. what i mean by this is that, the set seems to be a meteor set, but it sorta buffs everything with no special provisions for meteor outside of the 2 set auto casting, and the degree to which it does buff everything is less than the other, more focused set, and even LoD. there really just isn’t a reason to use Tal’rashas right now.

Veers… Viers… Vears? the archon set…: after it’s last rework like 3 or 4 seasons ago, this set became such that i actually couldn’t really complain about it, my only real beef with it is that it’s entirely centered around a somewhat long cooldown ability, but there are ample means in game of mitigating this so it’s really a non-issue. good job on this one devs!

Deli-birds set (slow time set): this is one of those sets that’s good “in theory” but in practice, it falls apart because it simply isn’t fast enough, and requires constant set up for every single pack. and easy solution would just be to have a giant slow time bubble follow you around everywhere you go, arguably you wouldn’t even have to give it as much damage reduction since everything that might hit you would automatically fall under the effect of slow time, but i’m not here to ask for nerfs to an already unused set.

Typhons: why you hate mammoth hydra? in other news, the head system seems questionable, and while the set itself seems to perform adequately, the lack of intractability it why the original mauraders got changed into what it is, that is to say, “what am i supposed to do while my hydras are killing everything?”

Firebirds: Oh boy, i saved this one for last, and i’m sure y’all can guess why. personally firebirds was my OG favorite set in the game back when seasons first started and GR50 was the top of the leaderboard, being able to light things on fire until they die was a hilarious and powerful effect with practically no repercussions (until they gave it a range restriction) and when they changed it to a stack based system, i dropped it like a baby spider and planned to never touch it again… until the rework… honestly, 9/10 for the rework, it’s much better than it was, but i have some concerns with… mechanical decisions… firstly being the 2 set: disintegrate makes enemies burn forever… on it’s own that sounds fine, however, disintegrate is an arcane spell, not a fire spell, and the set makes no requirement or provision for this, so the fantasy of the “FIREbird” set is immediately undone by it’s own effect. to follow up, the 6 set deals too much damage… hear me out…
i don’t mean to say that the 6 set grants the wizard too much damage, i mean the set itself is doing too much damage, such that, you literally don’t need to buff any other spells with this set. just stack as many blanket damage multipliers as possible and slap on flame blades and mirror images to activate the set effect.
Normally when we wear a set, we intend for the set to buff… i don’t know, a skill? but firebirds has become the first set where other skills need not apply, it can handle every situation itself. this may very well be the prototype to the infamous “everything around you dies all the time” set that the devs joked about years ago at blizzcon when CoE was created…

Tal Arcane Orb is actually a lot of fun. There are a lot of multipliers to Arcane orb available and it is a fairly active build with having to cast multiple skills to keep up your bonuses.

Cast Black Hole to group up enemies and cast Signature spells to build up stacks for Fragment of Destiny while dropping Blizzards on packs for Winter Flurry.

Enjoyable read - except the part where you referenced ‘OG’ when explaining Firebirds.

The term ‘OG’ is reserved for an ever shrinking, diaspora-like group of individuals that used to roam these hallowed halls.

Perhaps one day, they will return to one another, but it would likely take an act of Anu.

Or prolly just D4. That’ll probably do it.