A discussion on Loot Filters!

Hi friends!

This is a discussion on loot filters!

Please keep the topic civil. we are all diablo II fans. Any directions on telling people to go “play X” are not helpful, and will disqualify your comment from honest intellectual conversation.

Q.1. What exactly is a “loot” filter?
A.1. A loot filter is a set of rules, that when applied to the game, decide which items are visual when theyre dropped, and how those item’s text appears.

• For example, I’m tired of seeing cracked sash. Never once have i been like “thank god for that cracked sash”. it is estimated that there is 1.42 calories in a single mouse click. Calories are gained by consuming food. food is a finite resource. ergo, by displaying cracked sash’s, you are contributing to the death of our planet. This is bad, and we want to do our part. So we do a little something like this…
    ItemDisplay[INF]:

Awesome! This now causes all Items that match the tag within the brackets (in this case, inferior) to display the name that we have put forth past the :

So in this case, since we selected that tag and put nothing, it will display as nothing!

Q.2. Okay, what else is a loot filter capable of doing other then filtering out certain items?
A.2. A loot filter is also capable of changing the name of an item, perhaps updating it so the socket count, or eth status is visible from the item name when seen from the ground! for example…
ItemDisplay[SOCK>0]:%NAME%%WHITE%[%RED%%SOCKETS%%WHITE%]%CONTINUE%
What exactly is this line doing? Well, its putting a tag on any item that has sockets (and due to the continue line, this alone will not cause items to be displayed, so its basically saying if this item will be shown due to a following rule, then apply this as well).

So it will cause any item, that will be shown, that also has socketed, to display its name something like this.
Demonhide Armor (2) (where the two is in the color red).

Alot of information can be displayed. Stack count (keys), item staffmods, sockets, eth status, ect ect ect. So much tailoring to allow for the visual experience that you want.

3.Q. Okay, you’ve done your job to try and briefly show a couple upsides… being honest, what exactly are the downsides?
3.A. Obnoxious people

And this is exactly where blizzard would need to step in. The situation that would need to be avoided is people being allowed to have itemdisplay tags that span more then a certain amount of characters.

You shouldn’t be able to do this

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX PICK ME UP JAH RUNE XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 

As this is clearly obnoxious, and creates massive hitboxes to be clicked on for people. What could be allowed?

Sets of toggleable display rules, conditions and hard term rules that are engrained from the get go. Find what the current longest (non-personalized) item name is, and set that as the maximum display size.

Please, let me know why you support this idea, or why you’d prefer to not see it implemented in diablo 2: remaster.

a bit of a bonus credit point is to mention that should blizzard support and offer this feature themselves, it would diminish part of the drive of third party tools (in a similar fashion as to how microsoft enabled the homebrew dev kit in the new xbox’s to stop their collaboration with people who wanted to run unsigned code for more… nefarious purposes).

edit To help combat cheese, you could simply not allow the modifying of rune name’s, and unid unique items (other the completely hiding them, goodbye culwens point)

6 Likes

I love loot filters in personal loot games.

You’ve spelled out in your post already why I dislike them in FFA games.

I don’t think the upside outweighs the downsides.

3 Likes

I think a basic loot filter would be fine. A configurable filter based upon socket counts, minimum defense etc. is too specific. However there is still a problem with huge piles of junk covering up good items.

The excessive piles of gold is already solved with automatic pickup of gold.

Filtering of common items:

• Selectable minimum level of health/mana potions, or none at all.
  • Throwable potions
  • Bolts and/or Arrows
  • Low quality items
  • TP and/or ID scrolls/tomes

Add a shift+alt hotkey to view items without the loot filter, just in case you are for example out of town portal scrolls.

The experience of picking up an item and looking at it to see if it is what you want should not change.

1 Like

Did you read my post indicating a soloution?

3 Likes

Yes, I read it. I don’t find it adequately answers the issues it could cause on boss loot drops.

2 Likes

Could you provide an example as to illustrate your point? I don’t follow.

edit for example, they could force unids to simply display as their base name (with an option for a chat alert). I believe the largest thing that people want is the socket tag, ethereal tag, and staffmod tags :slight_smile:

Sure, I was on mobile, but definitely should have been more descriptive in my criticism.

I don’t like the idea of having an advantage over newer players to pick up items than I already have. I already have a top of the line mouse, my computer is better than average, and my connection is pretty solid, most of the time.

Let’s use a player who does not use a filter at all as our baseline, as in every game there are people who just don’t bother.

Every little bit of customization that you add, adds a slight probability bonus to being able to pick up better loot, faster. Add a basic filter that only filters out white items? that’s pretty minor, but when you add specifics, as you said in your example, those small additions to a filter can really add to an advantage for more knowledgeable players.

Start to add specific numbers of sockets based on the runeword bases? even easier to filter. Start to add Ilvl specific rares, of which only experienced players are going to know what to filter off which bosses, you add another layer. Add magical items of very specific types, like JMod capable monarchs, you add another layer.

I could go on, but basically the biggest problem with a loot filter is the hiding of items.

If I were to be okay with a loot filter, it would have to be one where you couldn’t make the text any longer for an item than the baseline, couldn’t filter ilvl or #of sockets (not sure if this will even show in game yet) and can’t hide any items.

To me, this item filter is useless, so there’s no point in my opinion.

1 Like

see, I feel like your post kind of disregards all the soloutions that have been offerd my friend.

Also, not to mention… thats kind of what happens to new players… they need to learn the game.

You say that the loot filter isnt fair because it gives you an advantage of grabbing that Jmod, however I argue that the loot filter makes the casual more likely to grab the blue monarch, as it is at least displayed despite the presence of a filter, indicating that it could have merit.

Majority of new players have absoloutly no idea what a jmod is

1 Like

Respectfully, I don’t think they have.

1 Like

A properly defined and built loot filter doesnt provide an advantage to one player base as opposed to the other, as long as we arn’t talking about brand new players. In which case, how do you justify the stat allocation system? you can’t. Its a learning curve, and its part of the game :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The thing that I’m hung up on, isn’t loot filters in general, even in FFA games.
I’m hung up because it’s Diablo 2 and it’s established as a remaster.

On a new game, say, if they wanted to go full-out FFA with loot filters enabled,
that would add an extra strategic decision to gameplay, and I’d be all for it.
It would remind me of making decks in MTG, sometimes tweaking your filter
could be as fun as playing the game.

I think it changes the gameplay if you can hide specific items, though the more basic the filter, the less I’d care. If the devs decided to do it, I wouldn’t like it but I’d probably spend 10 hours tweaking it if it was complex :D.

No loot filter ty :slight_smile:

If you’re interested, I have a thread on loot filters here: Thoughts on Loot Filters?

Not as detailed as yours, but I showed how a loot filter can help to declutter the screen.

YES to loot filters!

3 Likes

The only problem I can see with loot filters is that if you make it optional you’re basically making it mandatory because it is an advantage to play with one.

2 Likes

Not entirely. You can pretty easily set up rules to prevent this.

1. Rune names can not be altered, only hidden.

2. Unid unique names can not be altered, only hidden

3. Only allow Res, Enhanced damage, enhanced defense, sockets, and ethereal as displayable %CONTINUE% tags.

4. Only allow hide-able items.

5. Item names can only be shortened, not be lengthened

6. my account gets auto flagged for 1000 mf

7. Allow {description} tags to only function on mouse over.

And voila, and solid loot filter. Make it configurable from an in-game menu (I’ll whip something up if you’d like a visualization, but then we’d have to make it a 1500 mf bonus)

1 Like

I have one scenario. :slight_smile:

I set my loot filter to be unique only and I play with a controller. I wait in front of boss aggressively pressing a single button on my controller to pick up loot before the boss dies. Will I be able to pick up most loot because KBM players need to move mouse first and then click?

This is an issue, it depends on response time, the pickup radius, how the default highlight on items is…honestly, FFA with controller vs mouse is going to be weird to figure out, I feel.

Is that any different if there is no loot filter in that case?

Based on what you said, I think you’re confused as to what a loot filter neccesarily does. I don’t see how having a loot filter enables or disables what you said :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t have chance to play with controller in Alpha… My PS5 controller is not recognized…

I don’t know how controller prioritize loot but I think if there is no filter, I as a controller player may pick up trash first…

I understand the situation youre trying to describe, but its not a real concern. having a loot filter doesnt change the end result of the behavior you’re describing.

also if youre on console, youre not playing with people on PC.

so im not 100% sure what the concern is?