A Barb Response to the Lamentation Nerf

I just read a longer reply from Nev on Reddit. I am reading too much into it but man it really seems like they spooked themselves and realized that the new barb set was going to suck compared to the new WW barb so they reacted more to that and the fact that this change over shadowed the other new sets rolling out this patch. If true it just means the new set is going to suck too lol.

Class act folks thank you for all the efforts in trying to get the buff to stay.
They chose a different approach so be it, for a period of time many players came together for a cause and that was cool to see.
This game is in its late stage but the next is in its early so keep an eye blizz some of us can come together as we really do not have your ear.

May we live to fight another fight friends.
Best of wishes.

You expect something else? We can already give the new barb set a name ā€œThe Wizard/necro FOLLOWERā€

3 Likes

Use the code button and link it </>

1 Like

Iā€™m going to say it because clearly no one else has the balls to say it, but the nerf to Lamentation was to get Barb out of the spotlight this season and focus it on Crus/Monk (especially Crus being out of the meta for God knows how many seasons now). That really is it.

The second phase tells you their intentions: Itā€™s not your turn yet barbs, youā€™re up next but youā€™re welcome for making WW/Rend not absolutely trash. Itā€™s Crus/Monk focused, they didnā€™t lie about that either, Nev straight up said this is a Crus/Monk focused patch. So honestly I do not see why everyone is surprised by this result.

You give Barb 200% lamentation and guess what? Crus/Monk feels less special now. Would 200% lamentation be fair in the grand aspect of balance? Probablyā€¦maybe 100-150% for perfect, but thatā€™s not what they want. They want Sader focused back at the top so everyone else has to get to the back of the line.

Now, how long as Sader been out of the meta? What like 10 seasons? So really is this approach so unfair?

Iā€™m going to play devils advocate here and say it was not.

4 Likes

[quote] Nevalistis

Community Manager

13 points Ā· 1 hour ago

Probably the last post Iā€™m going to make on this because, despite those who are presenting their points positively and constructively, thereā€™s still a lot of toxicity I have to sort through to get to it and Iā€™m recognizing pretty quickly the toll itā€™s taking on me.

With deployments on PTR, we would rather overshoot than undershoot and then adjust accordingly. When deploying to live, however, weā€™d much rather do it the other way around. Real talk: no one likes being nerfed, even when itā€™s warranted (and Iā€™m not saying thatā€™s the case here). Itā€™s much, much harsher for a larger percentage of the community to accept a reduction in power on their tangible, ā€œrealā€ character as opposed to one in a test environment. We try, as much as possible, to avoid situations where we need to nerf whatā€™s on live.

Itā€™s possible weā€™ve undershot as a result of the Lamentation change. The testing weā€™ve done internally, combined with large amounts of data and feedback we acquired during PTR (including accounting for outliers like players with extraordinary amounts of Paragon levels), doesnā€™t indicate it will be as severe as what some of the theorycrafted results are anticipating.

Iā€™m not saying weā€™re infallible. Thatā€™s why we made the change the way we did; because itā€™s easy for us to go back and change again later. Weā€™re still actively working on the game, and we have a lot more to go (including a patch that will have more focus on Barbarians with their new class set).

I think thereā€™s some additional context missing from the conversation that Iā€™m in chats with my development team about putting into a more formalized blog. Iā€™m setting up meetings today to discuss it, and Iā€™ll try to execute on that as quickly as I can. Weā€™re not going to make everyone happy 100% of the time, but I do hope we can make our reasoning a little more clear.[/quote]

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard that the new Barb set is gonna be fully zDPS :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Whatā€™s concerning to me is thereā€™s all these posts from well educated barbarian playersā€¦who is playing support besides monk if your all here??? Go get those globes boys and girls!

Thanks for posting that. Wish she would have c/p here on the official forums, but yeah. Undershot? Thatā€™s putting it mildly.

They nerfed it into the ground.

200% to 0%?

How did that ever sounds like a good idea? I could see dropping it to 150% or even 100% if they had some concerns, but 0%?

0%?

Likeā€¦ what?

Really appreciate Nev trying to get additional info about it all, and really frustrated for her that she has to deal with that aspect on top of it all.

Seriously, these devsā€¦ :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

14 Likes

fixed it for youā€¦

1 Like

5 Likes

Yup infinite range buffs and no damage. We wonā€™t even need to leave town. The only barbs will be bots.

Thanks! I forgot how bad pop out the nose hurts! Hahha

Or not.

The development team doesnā€™t deserve the playability that support barbs provide to the community.

1 Like

Just waking up and the coffee hasnā€™t fully kicked in.

Thank you Free for taking the time to write such a measured and accurate response :metal:

2 Likes

I disagree, you had another approach which could be also the case as well, Iā€™m talking strictly class vs class here, but I firmly believe this is how we should expect patching going forward and I honestly donā€™t have a problem with it. The new class sets should be the focus and power of that season, itā€™s okay to catch up a class that needed catching up like Barb, but whilst doing that it shouldnā€™t be the focus point which with 200% lamentation definitely would be the case.

Whatever 2 classes/sets come next in S20 I fully expect that class/set to be the highlight and strongest that season.

Honestly if it wasnā€™t for Free and the other top Barbs making those posts, I expect 100% that those changes to Barbs would have been delayed till Barb set was ready. This was their early Christmas gift to Barbs, the real juice is coming next year.

Well, if thatā€™s the case, enjoy Barb being worthless as a DPS for another 4-12 months, assuming weā€™re getting 2 new sets in every upcoming patch.

1 Like

Theyā€™re certainly not worthless like last patch, they just arenā€™t meta dps and wonā€™t be meta dps till their new sets.

Hell Iā€™ll be surprised if my class is still meta tbh, That Bazooka nerf is pretty extreme (-15GR) and I could definitely see it changing with those Crus buffs.

Nah, man. They ā€œshouldā€ be the new focus for folks who want to play their new class sets, but for Barbs, this was about getting some basic, long-overdue buffs. Donā€™t assume every Monk and Sader main is gonna jump ship just to Rend, and even if they did, SO WHAT? Itā€™s not premium paid content.

And please donā€™t paint Lamentation like it was an ā€œall or nothingā€ scenario. Did we want 200%? Hell yeah. Would we have taken 150% or 100% and been happier than we are now? YOU BETCHA.

As I said in the OP, it could have been a win-win. Now, for Barbs who want a powerful WW build, itā€™s lose-lose with some shady disrespect thrown into the mix.

4 Likes