9/16/2021 Edit: Loot Systems Updates/Clarification

i think he meant that low geared players (that can easily die) tends to rush towards loot and dies without being able to get said loot and then he grabs those loot while they are lying dead near the boss corpse.
though , it does happen in FFA and would still also happen in Ploot , so no change there.

It somehow feels that he enjoys playing with weaker players.
But how is that even possible? I thought d2 was such a competitive game.

1 Like

No. We dont want ploot

1 Like

That would be nice :smiley:

Anyway, Blizzard are famous for changing their opinions all the time (“you think you want it, but you dont”).
Also, Rod said this on twitter too, when more specifically asked about Timed Allocation:

Hey, first, I only said it was a thing that we discussed and if we were ever to do it we would make it an option for the game you create so that people have to opt in to that style. But it’s definitely not happening at launch.

What happened in tweets: Rod got asked for ploot and some ppl say no please, rod replies with the 17 min ago tweet. When he gets more flak about it and heated discussion, he goes all-out and 8 minutes later tells the WHOLE truth, ploot is never happening, even thought they discuss/been discussing it. Just so he can end this useless debating over it.

2 Likes

As you said, you respect my interpretation which is different than yours as stated above.

My interpretation was:

Yes, its most likely not happening, but i cant deny it could happen sometime in future (hopefully not hehe) since im not blizzard.

That part will be a dangling assumption until it either doesnt happen or does.

Reminds me of playing the beta with friends. Countess died and they both said, “Dang, she didn’t drop anything.”

No, she dropped two Tal runes. They aren’t even slow clickers, but they don’t pay attention. I showed them and their go-to was “Do you have a bot?” No, I don’t and never have. I just saw orange, read what it was, then clicked it.

2 Likes

Doesn’t really change much in my eyes. I didn’t expect it to be in at launch, especially after they announced their feature freeze was even excluding things as basic as chat on console.

It still seems like a possible game creation option someday in the future, which is all most people were asking for in the first place. Didn’t see many if any people asking for it to be forced on everyone and replace FFA entirely.

We also still don’t know the status of how modding will be implemented and online mod options. With a lot of feedback it also still seems like they could add their own mode in addition to classic/LoD someday. They may not currently be working on anything like that, but if there’s demand it seems like a realistic possibility, even if it’s a paid DLC.

I’m now more curious if we might see certain smaller UI changes sooner rather than later even though we’re not getting them on release. Maybe even in 2021? IE: KB+M controller support, seeing levels on items, seeing zone levels on the map etc.

D2 wasn’t competitive very much.

it didn’t matter how geared someone was, the 3rd wave of Baal’s minions roasted people left and right.

Loot drops
Greedy person runs to it, but big bad monster is there.
Monster hits the person and kills them as they are trying to loot
I walk in and kill said monster as I was ready and then loot while the person’s corpse is on the ground

Yes, you could loot corpses in D2. You had to allow it.

We are aware of that.
It is a anti-ploot argument which is very popular amongst those who have no other arguments against ploot.

Didnt they remove that feature?

My friend who played more recently then myself told me that he believed it was still available on HC but not SC.

I remember it being in the game. I also remember seeing a corpse pop from someone tricking another person in the past. So, I am glad they removed that feature.

If ploot is optional, then players will no longer be required to play the edgy multiplayer that D2 has always been.

If we dont need to play through with that element of danger, the hardship and tension of multiplayer will be something we do voluntarily.

If multiplayer tension is voluntary, the entire feeling of the game will change. To think optional game mode ploot will have no spiritual effect on the game is wrong. The effect would be mitigated by separate servers, but seems like Blizz would go the game mode route instead.

And of course, Id bet people will demand higher drop rates when they dont get enough ploot.

2 Likes

Translation: Griefers won’t be able to ruin games for newbs and that bothers griefers.

3 Likes

It isn’t removed, just mostly mitigated. You can still potentially “pop” a player’s corpse, it’s just a lot harder to do and most seasoned players won’t fall for it.

FFA is not Griefing. It is Free For All. Basically everything is Griefing for snowflakes where they cant achive success.

2 Likes

FFA is a great mechanic when it works. The core issue is fighting griefers who use bots, and go a destroy the experience for newbs(loot steel and non handshake pvp). If it wasn’t for those issues, I’d be with you in saying FFA loot needs to stay.

Well it is an error in the security system and not in the loot system. Push hard on blizz to ban bots.

In the open beta they told me 6 or 7 times that i use pickit. Tons of players have such low reflexes that they see everybody as pickit user.

“However, those players who wish to duel one another, prey on the weak, or cause trouble in the ranks may do so by selecting the “Hostile” option from the Party Menu”
Its part of the game.

So the only thing we need to fight against is bots. So we dont need campaign for ploot but campaign against bots.

1 Like

Search on google for “Image Recognition with Deep Neural Networks” it would be impossible for Blizzard to catch bots using this method. No hacking into the executable required.

It would just read the pixels you see on screen and pass in inputs. Unless Blizzard starts banning people for picking up items too quickly at a high percent rate, its not possible for them to catch such a bot.

The only thing holding back mass use of neural networks is you need to have a solid math and computer science background to understand how to train and execute the network; and you need high end GPU’s(30xx series or higher) to speed of the training and execution of the network.

All of that will get easier and cheaper over time unfortunately.