Game crash while idling in the menu

It just does an ALT+F4 by itself. No error, no report, no log. Just poof, closes itself.

RIP

8 Likes

Game keeps crashing at launch cant get in… tried scanning files/repairing restarting everything no go…

1 Like

Looking to get more information here. Could you kindly share which platform you’re experiencing this on?

This is on PC. Windows 10 fully updated.
8600K. RTX 3070.

Hard to tell what happens since I dont get an error. But when I open the game, and press exit by myself, this appears in the blz-log.txt:

8/13 19:29:10.625 [EntityContainer/4] [<>:0]: EntityContainer: Component type FootprintComponent invalid! Dropping component from entity entity_root in data/hd/character/player/barbarian.json
8/13 19:29:11.004 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/13 19:29:11.005 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/13 19:29:11.006 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/13 19:29:11.007 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/13 19:29:11.007 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/13 19:29:11.008 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/13 19:29:11.008 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/13 19:29:11.009 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/13 19:29:14.555 [EntityContainer/4] [<>:0]: EntityContainer: Component type FootprintComponent invalid! Dropping component from entity entity_root in data/hd/character/player/barbarian.frontend
8/13 19:29:18.533 [BGSEnvironmentMap/4] [<>:0]: Environment Status: PROD - eu actual battle net - Release
8/13 19:29:25.043 [“NetworkStateObject”/4] [<>:0]: NULL State Artifact passed into Process
8/13 19:29:25.043 [“NetworkStateObject”/4] [<>:0]: NULL State Artifact passed into Process

I only launched the game and pressed exit as soon as I could. Had to remove punctuation in to be able to paste the log here from the eu battle net line

EDIT: I also tried “run as administrator” just to check, didn’t do much though

1 Like

same running on PC also a thread up on reddit lots of people seems to be experiencing the same thing… updates drivers etc

UPDATE:

I just downloaded an update in bnet, did a rescan, and now I was able to create a game. So I guess it works for now

EDIT: NEVERMIND, it just crashed like it did before. Just like ALT+F4. No error, no nothing

1 Like

So to be clear here. The game just overwrites the only local log file on next launch? Why not have them roll to a subdirectory and keep a finite size amount? Especially for a beta it seems weird to not have local access to historical logs.

Agree. My log file is empty after every crash, doesnt help us much

Experiencing similar issue here as well, on Windows/PC. On first launch I watched the opening cinematic in full with no issues. Was able to click through the little tutorial about creating an online character and upgrading to LoD. After that I got to the video settings page, the client froze and crashed to desktop with no error or log pop ups. Relaunched, got back to video settings and crashed again. I don’t know if there are logs or anything I can post to help provide more information .

EDIT: I turned on run as admin and disable full screen optimization and have been running much better. I have only had one crash since then and I have played about an hour. I don’t know if this helped was just a coincidence.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same issue. Was able to install the game and watch the opening cinematic. After I opened video settings and changed some to high, put in windowed mode, and increased resolution. Shortly after the game crashed. Tried reloading but kept getting the same problem.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game hoping that the settings would revert back to default, but it doesn’t seem like they have? Game crashes and screen goes black after I try opening the game settings menu. Sometimes it just crashes like this as soon as I log onto Battle.net.

My system specs:
Windows 10 / Dual GTX 1080’s / 512 GB SSD / 128 GB RAM

Side question - Does the game support dual GPUs?

1 Like

The same problem on PC

8/13 23:39:13.008 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.

Same issue. Launch the Game, skip Intro and then closes itself like ALT + F4…

So I saw the other forum post about high temp GPU, and decided to take a look in MSI afterburner. Seems the game just jumps from 55c to about 86-87c, like in an instant, when I get to char selection, and also when a game is created.

So the GPU just overheats and shuts down the game here. I reverted overclock settings and put everything on low, and now the game runs at about 80c, but fan speed is about 90%.

Vsync was on the whole time, running in 1440p. I guess we found the problem, the game isnt optimized for any GPU at the moment.

Unless Nvidia releases new drivers, this is kinda unplayable…

Hello there.

Try turning off the Geforce Experience in game Overlay, this worked for me.

Enjoy the game.

I don’t think that message has anything to do with crashing while idling in the menu -

I can connect , create or join games and play just fine. And I see that message all over my logs.

This didn’t help in any way. Game still runs at 80+ degrees and fan is close to 90% when ingame. Only thing that reduces it for me seems to be the resolution scaling, which makes the game look bad.

I’d rather wait for driver update and/or game fix than play like this with GPU load at 97% or whatever

EDIT:
just to be clear, the game runs “ok” for me now, it was the overclocked gfx that made it shut down because of temp I think. Problem now is the game runs too hot, for me atleast.

I wish I had more information to give you. As with the rest, I log in, and doesn’t matter what I do, stand still in game, start NPC dialogue, run around; and within 30-45seconds game freezes then crashes me bakc to desktop.

No error message, no log entries, nothing. Uninstalled and reinstalled, error checked, updated drivers, restarted, cache cleared, all to no avail.

PC, windows 10, i7 4ghz

Having this issue as well. I changed resolution to windowed 1920x1080 from 1440p and it runs like a charm now. Noticed that in the higher resolution, GPU was maxed out, in 1080p max settings take barely 30% of GPU processing. GTX-1080, i7-7700k, Win10.

1 Like

Can still not start this game on my old computer… Cant understand why Blizzard make this game so hard to play?

AMD RADEON R9 M290X
Intel(R) Core™ i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz 4 Cores

crashes at launch. great

Blockquote
8/15 03:05:34.592 [EntityContainer/4] [<>:0]: EntityContainer: Component type FootprintComponent invalid! Dropping component from entity entity_root in data/hd/character/player/barbarian.json
8/15 03:05:35.135 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/15 03:05:35.136 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/15 03:05:35.136 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/15 03:05:35.137 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/15 03:05:35.142 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/15 03:05:35.142 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/15 03:05:35.144 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.
8/15 03:05:35.144 [PopcornMeshBatchKey/4] [<>:0]: Too many meshes in an animated model file! The limit is 4 and the model has 5. Model path: ‘data/hd/vfx/meshes/missiles/vine_beast/vine_beast.model’.