Why Why Why play Diablo 3?

The game is meant to play however you prefer. I personally largely prefer singleplayer and the moments where I force myself to play multiplayer (like when I’m doing bounties) that actually detracts from my enjoyment.

13 Likes

Yeah, I don’t have time to grind for high paragon, or fish for best GR runs every season. Its funny though.

This season is my highest Paragon earned during a season, but at 1/3 the time of the previous high record I had achieved.

Farming is at an all time high efficiency right now, with the follower changes when playing solo. I’m currently trying to beat my all time highest amount of rifts ran in a season and bounties done in a season. Along with gold collected, and a number of other things. Already surpassed bloodshard collecting. lol Less rifts and bounties, but at max torment and higher GRs… Doesn’t take much. Clearing T16 in 4-5 minutes (including item gathering), and speed running GRs at the highest level I can do in 3-5 minutes. Currently that’s between 85-90.

2 Likes

Diablo 3 is, to me, one of the only games that i can actually complete in a reasonable time frame. it takes about 200 hours of focused gaming to get a LoN build completed for one character. literally no other game has it done this fast.

and yet, when i want the same for D2R, i get shouted down to oblivion. when i want the same for diablo 4, same thing.

fools. they should know better, especially since many of them would be adults now, and have limited time. but nope, people want 20 more years of grinding.

1 Like

Feel the same love hate too. I basically only play this because a couple of my mates play for the first month or so during a season.

I play for the same reason I played D2.

• I need an outlet for anger/stress and I find killing hordes of demons is cathartic.
  • I LIKE that Diablo games let me sort of run on auto pilot while my brain sorts things in the background. Kind of like running used to do before I destroyed too many body parts to do it.
  • The tiny brain juice injections when a good item drops are a nice perc. For this reason loot rates matter. Too much loot and I get bored. Too little loot and I get frustrated.
  • Diablo games don’t require me to play with anyone. I can just solo mow down demons on my own - MY way. No need to follow the “meta” and keep up with a group.
  • No need to log in every day like an MMO where time passes you by and you get behind.
  • Nostalgia. I did play with a very few friends back in D2, sometimes. Most of them I met on a Diablo related forum. Those friends are lifelong friends now - and from there, I met a large circle of people who have become my best friends - 20 years later they are still my best friends. This includes the WoW guild we went on to make too. Not that many of us still play, but we keep in touch. So odd to think people who’s weddings I sent congrats on have kids going into College/Uni now.

TLDR - I find those things fun.

18 Likes

ohh snap - here we go~

i like to blow things up and have a personal liking to trying out the top builds. For gons, i usually end up at around 1200 - 1800, playing here and there, mostly messing around. Come mid-season I like to play with variants of the builds to see if I can find something new or unexplored. They don’t get me top results, but I do have fun playing with them.

I’d say my time played is split between solo/group. I enjoy the social aspect of sharing gear and just chatting it up with friends. I’m looking forward to S24 because I’ve had some good luck with gear the past few seasons and hope that my luck carries on with Ethereals. It’s been a while since I played Monk, and i’m looking forward to mixing it up a bit.

Lastly, I think Kadala loves me and I appreciate her ability to give me awesome rolls.

17 Likes

Kadala, IT’S A TRAP!!!

5 Likes

For me it is more like that I want to play Diablo 3, but there is not much to look forward to.

I want to play it to make new builds, theorycraft, experiment with unusual skills, passives and items, and then gearing them up, …
…but the way Diablo 3 is designed, especially with its itemization completely breaks this.

The builds are basically predetermined by sets and legendaries that only buff a predetermined set of skills, so there is basically no to little theorycrafting and sadly 98% of D3’s predetermined endgame builds are not satisfying for me personally to play.

So what I resort to a lot oof the time is create new level 1 characters and level them to 70, because that is when I have the most freedom to play the builds that I actually want to.

I could play with them further after reaching level 70, but for what? Most of the predetermined endgame builds use sets of skills and have a playstyle that I don’t prefer and most non-meta items are often unintersting and/or useless…

I just don’t feel ownership over my characters/builds and low level content is not too difficult and engaging (because increasing the difficulty just turns enemies into bullet-sponges).

============================================

Diablo 3 does however still have very, very satisfying combat + the fact that I will always remember D3 as the game it could have been. That goes so far that I am still totally geeked out about it and I still make a ton of mock-ups / concept art of how things could have been, including an itemization that would have allowed for more player customization.

You should try DOOM Eternal on lower difficulties.
Instead of hunting for loot you gain glory kills and the satisfaction of blowing things up the way you like it.

Assuming you like shooters… but no one is gonna care if you don’t play on the harder difficulties since it also is a single player game.

I’m not sure how many people remember it, but in the very earliest iterations of D3 made available to the public, D3 was pursuing a skill rune system where you could find runes as item drops to socket directly into your skills. The system was kind of like what PoE 2.0 is doing, but I don’t think it is as expansive.

Nevertheless, I would have liked to play that original iteration. I remember thinking how much promise it had at the time since the skill runes weren’t really skill specific, they were things like +1 projectiles, multistrike, increased damage etc… that could have provided a ton of build diversity. They even iterated far enough to have rune progression for NM, Hell, and Inferno skill runes.

I’ll also remember D3 mostly for the promise it had, but also for how let down I felt by its many oversimplified systems. The combat is still excellent though and I still play it from time to time for that even today.

2 Likes

Uh, what is going on? slaps monitorrubs eyes… A Blizzard CM joining in the conversation? :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing, @FilthieRich!

5 Likes

Can you please pass some of that luck off to others! like me!! I need all I can get, D3 hates me! :weary:

Reason 1:Cuz we still have to wait for Diablo 4…
Reason 2: D2R is too expensive. I think $20 is OK.
Reason 3:…And Not have a phone…lol

2 Likes

Not true at all. It can be enjoyed by people playing together, but it is a SP game with MP options. Frankly I find ARPGs to be not enjoyable playing with others. Even with my wife. We have different styles of play, take different routes, and have different philosophies about playing. We do short stint things like puzzle rings, cow levels, and the occasional PL. But I have never enjoyed playing Diablo games with others.

1 Like

I remember a friend letting my play DOOM on his PC…I was so bad learning controls he had to set me to God mode.

Years later I tried Quake3 Arena at the suggestion of a friend. I get horribly motion sick in first person shooter games. I can’t even watch people play IRL, stream, etc.

It is why I picked up Diablo 2 when the Quake3 friend suggested it. The hope was it would not make me motion sick - and it did not! Then I got VERY into D2…and 20+ years later am still here. WoW is also good in that it does not make me motion sick with the camera zoomed out.

As long as Blizz keeps making camera views I can handle, I will likely keep playing. Not much feels better in game than going bowling for demons using an ice orb. Although some of the D3 spells are a LOT of fun to use for mass mob destruction!

6 Likes

Unpossible. Now we KNOW you’re an AI chatbot :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

“Not true at all … for you!”

No, not true. Weve gone over this dozens of times. If this was a MP game meant to be played with MP, them soloing would not be possible. It would be a L4D or Vermintide type game where even playing by yourself, you would have multiple AI companions.

Since that is not the case, Diablo games are not MP games, but rather SP games that allow for MP. My reasoning isn’t because I dislike MP, but the structure of the game. If the games required MP to beat then it would be a MP game. They don’t, so they aren’t.

People surely can enjoy or even prefer to play them with other’s. That still doesn’t make them MP games no matter how you want to parse it.

So claiming they were meant for MP is more of the for me comment you are trying to lay on me.

1 Like

And that’s too bad. It’s a shame there isn’t a Fire teleport rune, or a Lightning Disintegrate rune. Little things like this would have made much better. If you want to play a lightning disintegrate build, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TOO. Why wasn’t this added? Why are there no legendaries that buff certain skills at all?

Man, Diablo 3’s itemization people failed up and down the line.

2 Likes

Yeah, it did sound better than what we ended up with. Although most of the issues in the rune system probably would have been the same in the end.

You could just as easily say it is an MP game that allows for SP.
WoW is clearly meant for MP, but it does allow a tiny bit of soloing.

I dont disagree with the conclusion though. D3 clearly wasn’t “meant for MP” any more than it was meant for soloing.
Although the balancing in modern D3 means that it might as well have been.

D3 has already gone way too far into MP territory. And D4 seems to be going even further.
While both MP and SP should be supported equally.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember that.

Their reason for removing that system was that it cluttered your inventory full of runes and also because some of the effects were too powerful, which is why in current and vanilla D3 runes were equivalent to the powerlevel of a Tier 3-4 Rune during development.

Yeah, I would have found it much more interesting than the current “rune” system.

Then we feel the same on this issue.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes a fast pace game like DOOM Eternal impossible to play or enjoy.

It is just that DOOM and Diablo have some strong similarities, like the Occult, Satanism, fast pace combat, explosions, the dopamine rush, etc, just in another genre and camera angle.

What about platformers or games like Zelda?
If these also make you motion sick you must have out on many, many great games that came out over the two decades.

I actually think that they should have zoomed out the camera even more in D3, at least with the expansion. There are some zones and fights (Belial) where the camera is more zoomed out and it honestly greatly enhanced the experience, at least for me.

Imgur

Imgur

I think it would be very satisfying if the camera would be like in the pics above.
And I don’t think that would give you motion sickness as well :D.

Don’t get me started on the visuals of D3’s Frozen Orb.

I was so excited when they announced the skill to come back with RoS, but then when they actually showed how it looks, I was severely disappointed. I was just an overly large white ball that was not even shooting individual missiles.

Same for Spark and Scorch, which are also waaay too large. At least too large for me to suspend my disbelieve.

That is also the reason for why I still mostly play with the unruned version of Arcane Orb…

I asked / requested a few times to change the visuals of these runes with smaller assets that are already in the game (Energy Twister - Storm Chaser Charge - Agnidox’s Fireball - Iron Wolves Frost Orb), which theoretically would be easy to exchange, but so far the current visuals remained.

But it is understandable that they have priorities, though they have hired new 3D Artists in the recent past for D3, so maybe one patch or season is more about visual improvements.

=========================================

Seismic Slam for example still looks alright and I still find it satisfying to use although it imo kinda got a visual downgrade from when the skill was first show.

Yeah, if that would be a thing, I actually could consider playing a Tal Rasha build. I never really liked the playstyle of Tal Rasha, or in fact any other 6peice set aside from Unhallowed Essence, which I enjoy to a medium degree.

They also could have made Ray of Frost a rune for Disintegrate and then made other elemental versions of Sleet Storm, which also would have been a very fun build (one that I just recently played around with… ).

My guess is that because the Diablo team was told to work on D4, right after RoS released, they only had a skeleton crew and they needed to come up with some easy ways to give players some items to hunt for, and that seemed to be to give legendaries damage multipliers to very specific skills instead of more interesting and universally useful affixes.

Many devs who worked on D3 came from the World of Warcraft team, and in WoW where you build and your skills are already predetermined for the most part, such an itemization system works just fine, but it doesn’t in D3 where builds are more open ended and defined by player choice/customization.