3 month challenge - Hardcore untwinked Barbarian

Hey guys, today its 3 months to Diablo 2 Ressurected. There is a lot discussion about length of seasons, 3 months are being mentioned often so i want to use these 3 months and show what all can be found in 3 months on untwinked hardcore character. I want to use barbarian to test what is possible with character who doesnt have teleport and much of aoe dmg.

I want to show what can be done without cooperation with other players and without trading.

I will be doing updates after every game session and i am going to try to play every day 2 hours or more, more on weekends probably :slight_smile:

Btw, I will clear all locations, kill all mobs and open everything on first play run.then i will be doing MF runs. I will use players X command to mimic more players in games. I will play with diablo clone feature and uber tristram. I can use respec from quest reward and from essences but not from plugy.

EDIT: I will show final results after hitting the mark 2 hours per day and 4 per weekend days for 3 months, but since i can sometimes play more i will use +hours to finish sooner than 3 months.

12 Likes

Good luck! My first character when I started playing again was a Barb as well. You kind of tear through Normal and Nightmare and Hell slows you down.

One tip that really helped me: get a wand with life tap on switchā€¦it trivializes a lot of packs if you donā€™t feel like spamming war cry and if you have some FHR, you can go toe to toe with quite a lot.

3 Likes

Sounds like fun. Maybe Iā€™ll try something like this also just to pass the time.

2 Likes

I am doing a similar run through with a Paladin on SC, interested to see what I can accomplish before launch, Iā€™ll be playing a similar amount of hours as you as well. Will be following your progress.

1 Like

Great, it will be fun to compare results. Which build you will play? I will be playing Berserker but will use concetrate build until i will have good equip.

Btw, feel free to post progress in this topic, that way we can both post without waiting if anyone react so we can make update.

Not sure what i will do about uber tristram tho, maybe i will use respec to make frenzy build for it and then switch back to zerk.

2 Likes

I will play a Zeal build. Not terribly hard to gear and have options as far a lower runes for decent rune word items. Iā€™ve run a lot of successful Uber with this build but may end up running an Oath instead of Ebotdz or Last wish as I have in the past due to drops/ time constraints. Right now only planning on needing one Ber for COH

1 Like

You know, maybe Iā€™ll join in on this one to help disprove the notion drop rates need a changeā€¦ lol.

Edit: yea Iā€™m in. Fresh expansion barb ready to go. Going whirlwind, Iā€™ll post my first decent drop, thisā€™ll help pass the time Til sept23. Iā€™ll also be playing only 1-2 hours a day, itā€™s still farming season :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey I have first update :slight_smile:

Barbarian: Stone
Level: 15
Style: Untwinked Hardcore
3 Best found items: Flawed topaz, Ith, Rare eth self repairing Scepter
Total Play time: 2 Hours 10 minutes
Play time to simulate number od Days with 2(2x at weekends) hours per day: Ā±1

Imgur

I have started my Journey at /players 3, at first I though I will go with /players 8 for more drop but clearing whole game would take a lot longer so for now its P3.

I have found magic Scepter from Corpsefire, its my favourite Act 1 weapon as it has +50% dmg to undead and nice damage. I always use it on barb or paladin. Also I am going with point in Mace mastery for now, but I plan to put point in Sword, Axe and Mace mastery and decide which one of them to pick later.

Imgur

Shorty after I found in Cold plains +20 poison jewel, these guys are very strong at staring phase of the game so i bought two socketed Skull cap and put it there. Now when I think about it, I will place there topaz in next game session.

Imgur

Fight with Cold raven was little bit spicy as I am saving a lot of stat points, because i am not sure how much I will need to place in Strength or Dexterity. Blood Raven didnt drop anything usefull.

Imgur

Mausoleum and Crypt didnt provide any meaningfull upgrade for me but Coldrow dropped real beauty. Rare ethereal scepter 12-21 damage with cold damage and self repair. That can easily be my weapon for a long time. I am planning to use mostly Double Swing at lvl 9 which cost zero mana until I will have enough mana to effectively use Concentrate. Here below you can see the scepter and me almost dying to Coldrow :slight_smile:

Imgur

Imgur

In stony field there was a Gem Shrine so i upgraded chipped topaz to flawed one. I will keep upgrading that one by using Gem shrines(if I find more of them of course)

I eventualy made it to Blackmarsh and cleared all locations together with Holedungeon and Forgotten Tower. Hole level 2 had nasty combination of Brutes and archers with Fanaticism so I had to be careful. Countess gave me Ith and Eth.

I decided to use Ith to help my Mercenary with some damage as I found nice 3 socket Hunter Bow, but because I am dumb I didnt realize she is missing 3 levels so she will have to wait :slight_smile: . I finished at lvl 15 after 2 hours of gameplay.

Imgur

Imgur

8 Likes

Nice job Zax!

Act1 complete- Iā€™m an hour in, just beat andy and Bloodfist droppedā€¦probably the best first andy drop Iā€™ve ever had for an untwinked barbā€¦will update after act2-

3 Likes

sweet!

Post must be at least 20 characters

2 Likes

Are you playing hc also?

1 Like

Naw I leave my game up and my kids use the computer while Iā€™m doing stuff around the houseā€¦HC will only happen when I get D2R for my personal Switch :D. Kids no touchy.

Duriel- Almost an hour later, but weā€™re on to act3. Good night, Demon.

Last update@2hours~ Got eye, got Flayer WP, out for the night. Tryin to play about 2 hrs see how far I can get tomorrow haha.

Items found- Bloodfist, tal/ral runes, rare fhr Armor, 1 decent 2soc rare scep.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll join in at least for a little while - CSZonHCL. Multitasking my Aion server and waiting for Disgaea 6 to come out.

Update 2: Cain was rescued. Time to make some ā€˜pidzerā€™.
Update 3: Andy, was defeated (i.postimg.cc/pT0btbts/Andy1-Down.jpg). No notable items have dropped.

2 Likes

This is cool and all, but the bolded part contradicts the other parts. You guys playing a barb and a zealer have probably chosen two of the slowest possible characters in terms of farming, so it wonā€™t be representative of what a typical season will be like. Iā€™d guesstimate that upwards of 80% of players will start with a sorc to MF, and a good chunk of the rest will be hammerdins. Still, just about any caster class will be running laps around a barb/zealer. Iā€™m only pointing this out because I can already foresee whiners weaving this demonstration into their pleading to raise drop rates and ruin the game.

GL HF.

I thought the idea was to just use one character?

Yeah I think this is just for fun, I certainly donā€™t really plan to ā€œproveā€ anything, my comment was more tongue in cheek, RNG is RNG. That being said, I believe I will find quite a bit of good stuff on my journey.

Also, I couldnā€™t stay away. Had to play nearly 2 more hoursā€¦I enjoy playing this game too much to limit myself when I have spare timeā€¦so from now on Iā€™ll just list my total play
time.

Thus far- just under 4 hours, just defeated ancients, on the way to Baal. Fun barb.

4:15, Baalā€™s dead, bunch of useless rares. Ugh. weapon Iā€™m using is an 80~ dmg mana leecher, couldnā€™t find life leech at all in normal. No decent sets. Hoping for A1 NM to drop something decent, guess weā€™ll see.

1 Like

And thats the reason why i picked barbarian, nobody should be forced to play sorc to do magic find so i want to show what is possible on barbarian. It will not be direct representation of season as going from normal to finishing hell on ladder is a lot easier, but i can do fast runs on SP so it will kind of even out.

I also decided to clear whole game because thats what many players will probable do win D2R to Discover everything in new graphic. And also I play hardcore, take it slower is for safety.

We will see, i am curious about results myself :slight_smile:

I could see this topic as argument for longer seasons, not higher drop. But its too soon for anything like that, first i have to finish :slight_smile:

I am expecting certain results, but i dont really want to share that now tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright, My update wont be as in depth as Zax, But at this point in time I had previously played 4 hours, and I was able to do 4 last night so thats 8 out of an estimated 216 hours for this.

First drops in Act 1, Artic furs def. 48 in the hole, Artic belt from Andy,

Act 2 nothing much to mention here a rare sword and two tal runes.

Act 3 got a cathans seal from mephisto helping me out with 6% leach life, Milebregas shield

This is where it gets interesting, I was able to kill diablo and baal quite a few times and had some pretty great success.

Act 4 - Wall of the eyeless shield, Bloodrise morning star,

Act 5 - Sparkling mail, Face of horror, sigon boots, sigon helmet, Milebregas armor and crown.

For runes I have acquired Ral, Tal, Tal, Eld, El. and i have not done my hell forge or act 5 rune quest in the frigid highlands.

Right now I am Lvl 40 and ready to go to nightmare, Looking for a better weapon is a priority

2 Likes

Lol i wish i could do that on HC but diablo is pretty dangerous.

1 Like

Hahaha, yeah I usually play quite a bit of HC and when I do I play way slower/more carefully. I wanted to do some SC to knock the rust off before D2R comes out lol

2 Likes