✉ 2nd Letter to David Kim (Re: System Design of Diablo IV - Part 2)

Rock solid video. Especially the last portion on what makes a item truly legendary :slight_smile: Hope the devs have the time to see what he has to say. Makes a lot of sense.

ye i hope they make legendaries more unique

1 Like

I don’t know; he seemed to think that the powers don’t benefit each other which isn’t the case.
for instance:
chance to freeze.
duration of freeze is buffed by demonic while proc chance is buffed by ancestral. There are a multitude of these interactions where specializing in a single ‘power’ isn’t necessary. Especially if they throw in diminishing returns on the ‘power’ benefits, which would be great. I feel going extreme in a single ‘power’ would be a ‘noob’ trap, while the best builds will optimize ‘power’ allocation.

As for his ‘breakpoint’ idea. I find it unnecessary. They said “we can introduce these gradually as you level” this means that there will be tiers of these affixes that require no power and tiers that require less power. Though it isn’t a bad idea, both work and pretty much do the same thing.

It’s difficult to take an OP like this seriously when they describe self-made decisions as being “forced upon me”. No-one is forcing any decision you make, you are responsible for what you choose, no-one else.
The correct word you’re looking for is “incentivized”, and the only thing it takes to go against any incentives is a small amount of willpower. Take responsibility for your own actions and use your willpower! Stop trying to palm them off as being forced upon you, because they are not.

1 Like

Are you serious? Ok boomer.

+2 skill, attack speed rare gloves
+skill circlets
+skill amulets (blue being the best, able to get +1 all skills, +3 skill tree)
Rare rings (mf, resist, fast cast rate)
Rare boots

Not every slot was BiS rare, but a lot were or could be. I listed 6/10 slots where rares are/could be BiS.

Aronyx,
In regards to Part two of the system design. MAKE A NEW DIABLO GAME BLIZZARD! steal traits from the old games as needed, but please keep coming up with your great ideas! please Add charges to dodge capability, to make it more fluid. Watching demo it was real clunkly looking - could tell the streamer was having a hard time - Okay now positive feedback =).
I’d like to start with, I am simply jaunting ideas down like everyone here after reading multiple forums and watching videos on youtube. Maybe it will kickstart an idea if someone reads up on this =P.
I believe all of this is a great step in the right direction. D4 is looking pretty darn cool. I’d be okay going with this new Affix setup, and would be thrilled if the Depth/Customization keeps coming in development.

Primary concern for me, Attack/Defense. I am all for a Broad sense of either the item is an upgrade or not. I’d be willing to play the game this way no if and or buts. I feel this is great for early game I suppose, however you dont know until you try. Im thinking some additional Statistics to create choice between weapons and armor is a eventuality.

In its simplest form I understand why this is a good start, What Should ATTACK and DEFENSE actually mean in D4? Only blizzard knows =P, but we dont want statistics that make it to easy for characters to overpower the game. Longevity is surely important, especially if expansion packs and seasons are a possibility?

I’d say, that maybe if attack is staying on weapons , defense is staying on armor . Grant Attack/Defense a number of sub-categories or their own affixes, that benefit each character differently, but can be used across the board. Allowing the opportunity to expand customization for any build you choose.

Short example.

1 handed sword drops, Level 6, and there’s a convenient green up arrow that states its an upgrade for your current selection =P. Or Has Traits that you currently have enough Affix accumulated to use.

(Sword Lvl. 6,) Attack 19 (click on conveniently added details tab or scroll down to view =P)

Your Character currently has a total of 15 Angelic power, this weapon is granted +5% atk speed and +15% bleed chance because you meet the minimum requirement of 20 Angelic power.

Your Character currently has a total of 25 Demonic power, this weapon is granted +10% chance to stun + 5%mana recovery rate because you meet the minimum requirement of 20 Angelic power.

Your Character currently has a total of 25 Ancestral power, this weapon is granted +5% Skill effect duration + 22 Enhanced damage while reducing Demonic Power by 10 Meeting Minimum requirement of Ancestral power.

Ancestral power being the primary affix for this item. Or beneficial statistic.
While the other two are considered secondary, because ancestral reduces another affix to grant your character a high dmg bonus.

Maybe a checkbox, to select which one of these three benefits you want on this item when your character has enough accumulated points in power, limiting 1 or two benefits from each weapon or secondary till endgame. As items progress in levels say, level 20, you open a second check-box box for people to apply to their characters granting another (Power) benefit. Tier based increase in power is basically what I was thinking? Im no Blizzard team, just tossing ideas out there.
but the piece of equipment i am upgrading from has no benefits. Going from White to Blue or White to Yellow item.

This method could be manipulated to where maybe weapons could only roll 2 Minor Affixes, with the chance of a Primary affix? The ancestral bonus being the primary.

Only a thought really, may not be a good one? lol.

As for defense it could have a similar outcome, but for defensive statistics.

Dodge capability, Block, Elemental resistance, faster hit recovery, Health, Armor.

Keeping the (Amount of Power bonuses limited to 2 or 3 at endgame) would increase simplicity, but adding 1-2 bonuses would give some complexity in decision making choices and could potentially keep your players constantly wondering through their leveling experience.

Additional Statistics within the affixes may upset balance, but if the math is done correctly, “could” be incredibly fluid and fulfilling way to build/customize and create?

Visual addition, maybe based on angelic power, demonic power, and Ancestral power. There can be visual effects when you reach a certain amount? Of course who cares this early, only a thought! Transmogrify would be cool too. Okay on to the good stuff.

As my Personal request, Please make it take a long time to level through the later levels. Seasons and expansions at the least of course. With loads of content! I am certain you guys will create a wonderful game. So far the direction seems awesome.

Thanks Blizzard Team, And goodluck!
Yours Truly,
Aronyx!

P.S. Make a New game, Dont make Diablo 2 or 3, and take my post with a grain of salt, only springing ideas =P. Thank you.