2.7.0 Demon Hunter Set Balance

Hey Bass,

I didn’t include this skill because I was under the impression they wanted to bring other sets up to par, rather than address outdated skills. We can’t achieve the latter without major legendary reworks, or we’ll have items with ugly 2600% multipliers on them – even though that’s what they really need to be!

Ironically, the DH set bonuses don’t have much wiggle room because of Hungering Arrow performance being the top performer on UE6/M6/N6GoD4.

That all out of the way, he request you made is not enough for Chakram skill to become effective.

From the 2.6.9 request list, in order to make Chakram competitive, the cumulative power gain needs to fall somewhere between 60-75x on the UE6/M6 sets to reach GR135:

Chakram

Spines of Seething Hatred
Chakram now generates 4 Hatred. Each enemy hit by your Chakram increases your maximum Hatred by 5% for 5 seconds.

Sword of Ill Will
Chakram deals 1.4% 5.0% increased damage for every point of Hatred you have.

You’d need to ask for Sword of Ill Will: 5% and Spines of Seething: 2600%+.

Hey thanks for being so polite about it.

I was not trying to take away from your suggestions - Just add an alternative choice to Impale into the existing Shadow build where Chakram is underpowered. I can see that for a LoD build, your stats make sense but for the Shadow build wouldn’t that be way overpowered in the spines especially? I figure you have a better grasp on the mathematical statistics, so the question is genuine.

1 Like

The bonus wouldn’t need to be so high on Spines (or my suggested class specific shield in another thread) if the bonus to Sword of Ill Will was higher than even your 5% suggestion.

Say if the bonus to the sword was 15, 20, or 25% per point of hatred, then maybe the Spines (or the shield I suggested that would double your maximum hatred while making Chakram cost half as much {or something along those lines}) wouldn’t need a bonus at all perhaps.

I’m not at all sure how the math works but point being there wouldn’t be some ugly huge number in the legendary power.

Edit:

The bonuses would probably look something like this.

Sword of Ill Will: Chakram deals 20-25% more damage per point of Hatred

Spines (or new shield): …Chakram deal 75-100% more damage.

2 Likes

Before 2.6.9 landed, we were in a thread Idolis’ created on the general forum, complaining about how the DH skills all did the same thing, lacked personality, penalized ranged combat, so those creative solutions (increase max hatred on hit) were written for spicing up the skill by adding a new mechanic.

Fast forward several months later, we got a new DH set, semi upgraded Impale build, etc.

Idolis comes in and suggests the obvious fix, which will just make the skill work.

This is cleaner and your numbers are dead on perfect for UE6. Assuming they buff M6 and UE6 as mentioned above, we’re looking at:

UE6 @ 650% = 1.85x
Sword of Ill Will = 30.96x
Spines of Seething Hatred = 2.0x
Total Power: 114.55x (30 GRs)

Taking a solo clear of GR107 up to GR137

To bring Ronin’s post from a week ago into this discussion:

Beefing up Chakram’s legendary items by 114x by would do this. Those impacts should be quite strong. Even if the same approach was used to help Elemental Arrow.

1 Like

If it goes with UE, wouldn’t the Sword also have to have Discipline as a secondary?

Wouldn’t that change the calculation or are we assuming folks using Dawn in main-hand?

In my suggestion, I supposed a Marauder Build for it because of this reason, so one could wield the Sword.

I mean, giving the Sword Discipline as a secondary would solve that. But hypothetical shield (which I truly would love to see) would need discipline as well for the build I am imagining to go with UE.

I still think it doesn’t make sense to use Chakram for UE6 or M6, it should be included with Shadow, natural fit with synergy and thematics. If just needs the support, update Shadow so you don’t need dawn to keep vengeance up and a couple tweaks to damage modifiers for it and Chakram and we’re good to go.

I won’t argue with you on it.

But I do want to say that Shadow should remain principally an Impale set, so the six piece shouldn’t change as dmkt suggests in the OP.

But in order for the item changes we’re suggesting to make it go with Shadow and the base 12000% for melee weapon bonus, then the sword and quiver/shield would both need their bonuses upped which would then make them OP when applied to the other sets.

All that said, it wouldn’t look at all good if they split the Six piece to read something like Impale does 75,000% damage and Chakram deals 25000% (or so) damage.

But that’s just cosmetics really and nothing really wrong with it. Also, they’re not going to make Dawn unnecessary for one set and not the others. Otherwise, they’d just lower the cooldown of Vengeance to make Dawn unnecessary at all for any build.

But those are just my opinions.

1 Like

I hear you, but the 2 piece is melee weapon specific, so inherently it means that dawn shouldn’t be needed when considering the theme (and yes, it’s not needed but giving perm 50% DR and 40% damage for 1 item and CDR is dumb, which is exactly why it’s BiS in pretty much every single build). Whether giving another way to reduce the cooldown of Vengeance or giving a replaceable bonus for not using vengeance, it can easily be avoided. Akkhan’s armor is the only one that really makes AC permanent, no reason they can’t give Shadow similar treatment.

I really wish they would open up the pigeon holing, one specific skill for an entire 6 piece set is beyond stupid. Modifiers really need to be balanced across the board as much as possible so LoD/LoN and some generic damage 6 piece sets can be used for a bunch of skills. Doesn’t need to be top builds but every decent damage skill with even gear and even player ability should be within 5 GRs or so of each other.

1 Like