2.6.8+ Barb Buff Proposal II

I might be thinking outside the box here a bit, but I’d like the new Barb set to look great. I love the new Crusader and Monk sets, and hope Barbs end up looking just as magestic. Say what you want about Blizzard, their art team is second to none.

6 Likes

I opened a topic dedicated to IK Hota but I am happy to see this topic open.

I think that Hadd is right, we must take care of the set itself to help this build.

@insidous : 6p IK => I thought about that add 50% attack speed and when you have equiped a two hand weapon, you can equip a offhand like the quiver of the DH, that would provide more statistics + an emerald gem and an additional legendary effect compared to a standard two hand weapon mode. It would be very fun ! But for this configuration works better than what we currently have, it takes a sufficient speed of attack.

1 Like

I think the 300th Spear should be reworked to all about Ancient Spear or may be Ancient Spear-Boulder Toss, like increasing damage area together with increase the multiplier. The bonus to Weapon Throw should be added to Arreat Law spear instead. Maybe make it so a weapon throw build’s viable, like add more ricochets and increase weapon throw damage by 200%, increase to 500-600% while hit 3 enemies or less ( similar to the Salvation), or make the damage of the unused ricochets to be added to the primary target, that would increase its damage a lot to a boss. Personally I don’t like your “bounce back” idea, for this skill encourages the barb to stay far away but your idea encourages barbs to stay near.
One thing needs to be fixed now is the wall-charging glitch. Just fix this bug and buff the Raekor build, maybe revert the 6-piece stack mechanic to original, so each fury spender only consumes 1 stacks and then increase the damage altogether.

I would like to suggest the following for Skular Salvation:

• In addition to some damage buff to boulder toss, each boulder toss refunds back 20 Fury per hit mob.

For Example:
Increase the damage of Ancient Spear - Boulder Toss by 500%. When your Boulder Toss hits 5 or fewer enemies, the damage is increased by 1000%. Each boulder toss refunds 20 Fury per hit mob

4 Likes

What do you guys think about the new upcoming barb set? I personally love the fantasy of a 2H frenzy barb.

Currently, the most underused barb skills are :

• Generator skills
  • overpower
  • revenge
    I’m not sure how to make revenge work because the reactive nature and the animation is a bit slow. But the generators and overpower skill should be working fine together, could also throw in shout skills in there.

2pcs : overpower gain the effect of every rune.
4pcs : while under the effect of war cry, casting overpower will give you 50% damage reduction and 25% increased attack speed for 5 seconds.
6pcs : while you equip a 2H weapon, increase the damage of overpower and generators by 25.000%

Bul khatos wedding band.
New legendary power : activate WOTB while you encounter an elite or is surrounded by 5 or more enemies for 15 seconds with 45 seconds cooldown.

Edit : I also think that Madawc sorrow should be redesign into a specific weapon throw item.

Madawc, one of the three ancient barbarian kings that we fight in act V diablo 2, was using war cry and weapon throw skills.

Madawc sorrow : while under the effect of war cry, increase the damage of weapon throw by 450%-550%.

4 Likes

Earthquake. Add an earthquake multiplier to the cubed boots. 300-400%

3 Likes

I like where you’re going with this. When I first played the Crusader/Condemn build it really struck me as being a perfect fit for a barbarian play style and I liked the mix of a generator/spender with Slash/Condemn.

I could see a 2H build where you use Frenzy as the generator and then Overpower or Revenge as the ‘spender’ in this case with a large damage modifier attached to them. The skills could be the 3 aforementioned ones and then throw in WotB, Ancient Spear to group things up and then toss in a 6th such as a shout, ground stomp etc.

1 Like

Here is what I would change Blade of Tribes , too. “War Cry, Threatening Shout and Ground Stomp cause an Avalanche and Earthquake” and "Earthquake and Avalanche damage is increased by 200-300%. Reason is Dread Iron does the same thing as Blade of the Tribes so combine it. Dread Iron Ground Stomp increases damage of Avalanche by 250-350%.

Skull Grasp: “Increases the damage of Whirlwind by 500-600% and you now move by 130% movement speed while whirlwinding.” *Comments: Give Skull Grasp a new purpose in adding utility.

This sounds great. Probably rework one item to completly change the way revenge work, like removing the charge but adding fury cost.

But then again the animation is a bit problematic here. Certainly won’t rely on that to reset WOTB cause it will looks like we are playing the WW build again.

I honestly have no good idea to separate IK HotA buffs from Raekor.

The only thing I’d like to see is another weapon that boosts HotA to use with Remorseless (which likely would buff R6 HotA too, shrug).

The buff then would need to be directly on the IK HOTA set buffs and not on any of the weapons. Only way possible. They really should make IK just a HOTA set and Raekor a FC set imo.

Well, it’s not impossible.

Imagine if the second weapon had affixes like these:

• Increases the damage of HotA by xxx%.
  • Increases the cooldown of WotB by x-y seconds.

I agree that it looks stupid, but something like that would make it harder for R6 to take advantage of. But it would also screw LoD HotA over.

There area number of ways to do this.

1. IK/Blade of the Warlord
    This takes more than just using BotW. IT does work with just that, but the lack of fury makes it do very low damage.
    The fix that I used, when using it to get around some bad rng, was to alternate between bash and frenzy. It worked, but was annoying.
    A simple fix would be to add a non-weapon legendary that will cast any other primary attack you have equip’ed. Give it a damage multiplier to primary attacks and you have a possibly good IK build.

2. A new set
    A new net would allow for better turning of a primary build along with some parts not being very old.
    The set powers could be as easy as the overpower/revenge sets people want.
    Overpower gives x% DR.

There is a massive issue though with going with a 2-handed frenzy build, the weapons already in the game.

Right now, Oathkeeper is amazingly good for a primary build. More ASP and Damage, you want that. Bastion’s Revered is another very good weapon for a frenzy build.

This means you could just swap the two weapons around and call it good…, so long as BR gets a good multiplier on it.

What muddles the problem though it Echoing Fury. It makes a frenzy, non-thorns, build much better right now due to better movement and higher attack speed. Think what Bane of the Stricken does.

This is not me saying it would be a bad idea for a 2-hander build, just that it may cause other issues that would weaken it compared to what is possible now.

I am out of time for the moment, but I will give other thoughts later.

Hota already has two weapons. A third one would be unrealistic.

Also I am against IK being hota set. Every class has a generalist set for lower level play. It has to remain that way. If changed we can say bye to balance once again as it completely ruins some builds. It is our only set that buffs all damage not specific to a skill. It can be the most versatile for tgat reason. If hota needs a buff, it has to be gavel or bracers receiving the buff.

Hoeever for the sake of utilizing SS they introduced the weirdest belt. Mote has a ss beltvand avalanche belt. Very poor design.

Now people are using SS correctly, the GoG belt and Dread iron needs to be fixed properly. We should bring back the boulder toss to mote and skular salvation.

And dread iron could be related to avalanche and boulder toss or any spear skill. So if someone wants to min max EQ they use GoG and SS. If they want to capitalize on boulder toss damage, they can opt to use dread iron, skular salvation and boulder toss

And lut socks should receive a buff as well. For example last leap detonating all the stacked earthquakes in a second with 5 avalache procs activating afterwards.

Ok, here are some thoughts / issues for some builds and sets:

Raekor / Wall Charging

Personally, I’ve never minded wall-charging. I was never especially in love with the R6 set or its playstyle, but it didn’t bother me, either playing it a bit or the fact that the highest clears were coming via this mechanic. But a lot of folks sure seem to hate it.

If wall-charging were to be fixed, then I think Buffs to the Raekor set could be in order. The end result could fall anywhere on the Barb power spectrum- R6 could be the best major build, the worst, or anywhere in-between- and it would be fine.

But, if wall-charging doesn’t ever get fixed, as I think is most likely, then R6, whatever form it takes, and whatever buffs it receives, shouldn’t be our best build. It shouldn’t be our best HOTA build, either. The fact of the matter is that if wall-charging is required to produce the highest results, then players will feel required to wall charge, and that’s not optimal.

Another issue, then, is: what’s the point of R6 at all? It’s worse at HOTA than LOD, and we’d like it to stay that way. We’d like it to be worse at HOTA than IK, too. It’s worse at the skills buffed by MOTE than MOTE is, and at the skills buffed by Wastes than Wastes is. After that, there’s not much left. We can cook up all the Boulder Toss items and schemes we want, the fact remains that either R6 will be overpowered, and therefore “required”, or it’ll be underpowered, and nobody will want to play it.

I say: forget about R6. It’s screwed up, people hate wall-charging and wall-charging isn’t going to get fixed.

IK / Vile Charge / HOTA

If memory serves, Titannova did 133 with IK HOTA on the PTR, with around 6k paragon. At 10K paragon, you could go about 3 GRs higher with the same effort, so let’s call it 136 capable at 10k paragon. VC has currently done 135 at 10k paragon.

I honestly think the solution here is pretty easy: I’d be perfectly comfortable just jacking up the IK set bonus, from 4000% to around 7000%. That would give a 3-4 GR bump to both IK HOTA and VC, which would make them both competitive without being overpowered. VC has a wall-charging problem, but a much less serious one than R6, and as long as it isn’t the clearly best build, people aren’t going to feel forced into playing it.

MOTE / Leapquake / Pro-Slam / Other Stuff

Pro-Slam is in a good place. I’m sure it’ll hit 138, maybe even 140, making it competitive with the Re-buffed WhirlRend.

Leapquake is terrible. At this point it’s basically not good at anything. Compared to Pro-Slam, it’s worse at clearing trash and absolutely awful at single target. Up to this point, Fire and Phys Leapquake have been very competitive with one another, generally staying within 1 GR of each other. Going forward, however, I think any focus on Leapquake will essentially have to focus on Fire Leapquake, since buffs to items like BoD or FotVP will push Pro-Slam still further ahead. I would venture to say that it is literally impossible to make Phys Leapquake catch up to Pro-Slam.

I think Fire Leapquake is roughly 7-9 GRs behind Pro-Slam, and needs to basically quadruple its damage to get into that sweet 138-140 range. With a big damage increase like that, I think the build’s deficiencies, like poor single target and slow Stricken stacking, are fine left as-is. Obviously, this damage increase has to come in Legendaries like Tribes, Girdle, and possibly new items, since a buff to the MOTE set would buff Pro-Slam as well.

Avalanche and Boulder Toss are still worthless. Avalanche, in particular, needs huge, huge increases to be viable: an additional 4x multiplier on top of all the stuff Free and I suggested in BBP, which was already something like a 93x multiplier. So that’s something along the lines of a 372x multiplier, or +37,200%.

Boulder toss also needs a 4-5x multiplier on top of the stuff in BBP, which was around an 11x multiplier, I think, so that’s somewhere in the ballpark of a 50x total increase that’s needed to make it viable, whether that’s with MOTE or R6.

Primary Skills

I’d be shocked if our new, upcoming set didn’t somehow involve Primary Skills. After all, the only skills we have that are not specifically buffed by any set are Primaries, Revenge, and Overpower. (This is why Free and I imagined some legendaries that produce strong interactions between these skills in BBP).

With that in mind, I’m personally going to refrain from bothering with thinking up anything involving these skills. I’ll wait and see what the new set brings, then go from there.

5 Likes

i would love to push with boulder toss again, but if no new mechanic is added the 60% on the weapon would need to be buffed to like 2000%+. it would be better to seperate buff 300th spear and skulars salvation, maybe

• 300th spear 1000%
  • skulars salvation 300% (+remove the cap) or 300% and double that against 5 or fewer enemies

would of course need futher testing
really want to play that with either r6/ik4 or simply r6 again

edit: hm now we running in problems with that it would either be r6/cc3 or mote/cc3 with how the sets developed

To buff IK build Fury of the Ancients shoulder should give us all runes like Morticks and the 6th piece bonus for IK set should read “While both Wrath of the Berserker and Call of the Acients is active, you AND YOUR ANCIENTS deal 4000% increased damage.” Then buff the damage increase to compete with Wastes and the Hota Legacy of Dreams build.

2 Likes

Ancients do basically zero damage. Even a 100x / +10000% multiplier wouldn’t be enough.

They also just changed that shoulder… doubt they’ll change it again.

I just hope they won’t do it revolving ancient spear or the likes. I don’t want to play ranged barb :confused: