2.6.6 and Barbs: A Measured Response

Bigboy keeps posting and only his keyboard is responding. He gets as much attention as Uncle Rico ranting about time travel & varsity football. Lol.

2 Likes

Free, you know we can’t afford the Barb pack! What, do you think developers grow on trees in this game? Take it back! And get some Pampers for you and your brother while you’re at it!

2 Likes

I would really to add to the discussion. Ill keep my mouth shut. Last word is watch some old Quin 69 videos on multipliers before you start suggesting changes. Barb has just 2 area damage and attack speed. There lies the prob. Good Luck and Bon Voyage. I forgot don’t take it so serious RL is much more fun peeps:]

1 Like

Loving the new stuff! I really hope barbs get some last minute juice for season 18!!!
Thanks nev for being more responsive in chats! Keep it up!

Bliizard is propably the best company to work for … usualy as a dev you work 24 hours a day for low income money and very stressful environement.

But when you work with blizzard you can take your time and have 15 years to make your game. Easy life.

Barb balance in S25, Diablo 4 in 2052 …

1 Like

The patch notes for 2.6.6 / Season 18 are already up.
Another three months of nothing special for Barbs.

1 Like

WW should be to endlessly whirl, with support skills not requiring you to stop moving. Constantly moving while doing damage has always been the primary selling point of the WW, and the part that made it fun to play (and still is), both in D2 and D3.

As for Rend and WotW, I’d rather move that skill as far away from the set as possible, unless it’s changed to ‘on hit’, and boost primary WW damage instead.

Wholeheartedly agree on this.

According to whom?

Like I said, the set was originally intended to deal damage via synergy between WW and Rend. And the current iteration requires you to stop and Rage Flip density before your DPS cycle. What’s more, since WW divides its damage over ticks, front-loading all DPS into that one skill is really bad because it makes the build more reliant on density, more frustrating and weak for low-Paragon and Seasonal players, and more reliant on fishing. I don’t know why folks don’t understand that.

In other words, we’re already playing the build as a build where you don’t endlessly spin.

Rend has always been a part of the set. It makes far more sense to make Rend effective than to ask for set overhauls.

1 Like

What if they reworked lamentation ( removal) and simply apply to wotw set?
A ‘wasted’ legendary if you ask me.

You are correct that it’s a wasted item, but that doesn’t fix the problems with damage or lack of utility. See our List 2 and Detailed Explanations for more info.

We do suggest making alterations to Lamentation to make it very valuable.

According to all D2 players. The only thing you had to have were massive mana leech on your gear in order to use WW constantly. That part has been replaced with the BK set.

The current iteration you’re talking about is only for those who use Ancient Spear. The only real requirement is players personal preference to playstyle.

Maybe some of you are playing ‘‘where you don’t endlessly spin’’, but I have high doubts that covers all players (and could be the reason why not everyone understand your points).

Myself, I play perfectly well without having to stop at all, with gear that boost me for not stopping. That being said, I don’t push for the top grifts, because I don’t want to be a support Barb.

1 Like

This isn’t a good comparison because D2 and D3 are radically different games with radically different systems of mechanical interaction and player agency. If your goal is to make a D3 build more like its D2 iteration, you might as well ask for the return of skill trees in 2.6.7. That’s shorthand for never gonna happen.

That’s the iteration if you push GRs. Rage Flip is absolutely essential for pushing. You can do without it for speeds and low GRs, but if you want to push, you better learn to Rage Flip, or you cripple your potential.

I’m not trying to belittle your preference, by the way–play the game how you like. But D3 is very proscriptive in terms of build optimization. In other words, there are right and wrong ways to play builds, and when it comes to WW and pushing, the right way is with Rage Flip. If you don’t care about pushing GRs, that’s cool; nothing in our proposal would make you take Rend for low GRs and T16.

I’m only coming at this from what will make the build stronger for pushing GRs–and yes, that’s going to mean buffing Rend and getting it on the bar. But that will also make the build stronger for, well, everything else, and it won’t change a thing about how the build operates for speeds.

Well, technically I already have a D3 build very close to it’s D2 iteration, hehe :smiley:
The only issue is low damage.

Pff… That’s bold. I can tell you I’m not in that list. Developers won’t give you hours of spinning without cutting your interaction. You have to get it that D2 and D3 are not same. In D2 you didn’t get hours long spin cycles without properly gearing up towards it also.

When will you need to apply self buffs or utilize crowd control if you’re going “spin-to-win” whole day? Also you can do that already. In a development and balance sense however, your damage will be always low because the required effort to play that kinda thing is minimal.

Yeah, I should’ve specifed it to all D2 WW Barbs instead.

Haha, true! But it’s not very strong.

If you want to optimize it, you’ll have to add Rage Flip, drop those IK Pieces, etc, etc. If you don’t care about optimization, don’t sweat it. Play the way that works for you. But in D3, acquiring end-game power potential means playing the optimal way, which may not be the way you want to play. That’s just how D3 works.

And I think it’s fair to argue that more complicated, challenging builds–builds that require more skill and management–should be more powerful than easier, more casual builds.

WW should be more powerful when you manage WW + Rend.

It’s worth noting that our proposed changes only increase potential build diversity. Again, see our List 2 for more info.

FWIW: I’m a D2 Barb vet, but WW in D2 was so underwhelming without near-perfect leech. I much prefer the D3 version.

Developers have said they don’t want builds where they are completely 1-Dimensional in the past. Now, I’m not sure if the current development team shares this philosophy. But assuming they do share that mindset. This means we’ll never have a pure spin to win only Whirlwind build.

The skills that work best, imo anyways, with Whirlwind range from:

• Ancient Spear
  • Revenge
  • Overpower
  • Ground Stomp
  • Rend

These skills either act as a small and quick AoE nuke or provide utility or provide damage while we continue to focus on Whirlwinding.

1 Like

The IK pieces are only used when I want to quickfarm drop mats, as a diversion to all the trash (don’t want to run back and collect, so do it on the fly). For normal runs I use Pride of Cassius/WotW gloves, and switch RoRG with Zodiac/CoE.

I see 2.6.6 is up and running.