2.6.6 and Barbs: A Measured Response

By horrible I think you mean perfect. Keep up the good work!

#5 barb (HeilUFF) on era solo leaderboard just cleared a 126 with the new flavor of time and Morick equipped.

#8 barb (Startawar) on era solo leaderboard just cleared a 125 with the new flavor of time equipped.

Considering that there have been only a few barbs who have risen in the ranks post season 17 end/patch 2.6.6 release, the incorporation of new items is noteworthy.

I wonder if/what other new items with testing will soon be part of top tier barb builds.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

6 Likes

Preaching to the choir.

Of Barbarians, not Dev’s…

1 Like

When you realize, im not actually the one trolling you. I did read the post, in its entirety, multiple times. Its a big wall of text that says buff barbs. It offers no suggestions as to how to fix them, only that they need fixed. “This got nerfed, that got nerfed, this got buffed but still sucks, 3tc etc”. People think this is a well thought out post because of its length, but it really isnt, id even go as far to say that some of it isnt even accurate. People wont use stone gauntlets on a barb? Ok, lul. I tried hard to find anything in the entire post that asked a single question for blizzard or anybody to answer, but I didnt see one. Blizzard has said that they know barbs aren’t in the best place and even that there’s more to come for them. So I can only summise that you’re upset because they haven’t told us what their plan is. I haven’t played warrior though lol at least you got jokes.

1 Like

Nice troll post, i read enterily :clap::clap:, Next time try to read other post too, there is a lot of suggestion of how to Buff/fix barbarians

1 Like

@BagboyBrown,
You know that I think that there are factual inaccuracies in that proposal and that it is naive in the number of buffs requested. Nev has said that the number of changes requested is unreasonable in a reply to Free quoted at the end. However, the barb buff proposal does suggest specific changes to barbs. The bottom line is that it does convey that barbs are currently the worst solo DPS class, should be buffed, and make specific recommendations.

The barb buff proposal was not about asking Blizzard anything, it simply was pointing out deficiencies and recommending changes. Barbs are currently underperforming as solo DPS and should be buffed.

4 Likes

I still think the way of fixing Barbarians is giving them way better passives, at least one of the easy fixes.

I’m not asking for 100000% more damage passive but a thorns passive comparable to Necromancers’ Abhorrant Animator and a few active thorns synergizing skill for to sustain it. That at least would make a way for a Frenzy-Thorns or a zdps build. The only thorns related passive is way off for achieving anything noticeable and has no other synergies with other Barbarian skills at all.

Another passive is widely used but generally overshadowed on the terms of single target dps is Ruthless.
Knowing most popular Barbarian builds using bleed but it’s rather problematic, I suggest that passive to be changed for increasing damage against bleeding or frozen targets.
Even better if some sort of double damage proc can be added to it, say 15% chance to proc, overrides any simultaneous procs for area damage. That would make Pain Enhancer a valid option as much as double stacking Rend on enemies and make many cold damage related legendaries capable of embedded in some builds.

Since this specification will make some fire or physical specs lose a heavy amount of damage, I suggest some tweaks at Rampage as well. As it’s a trash killer mechanic, it should be able to have some sustain at big fights. What about adding the same 1% strength bonus whenever a pet/clone re-casted or dead? Ancient’s Call have 3 clones only and IK can keep it up for a small while snowballing its strength bonus that way. Even Remorseless can be tossed in to feed this passive for good measure.
If you want to increase the damage of Barbarian, then get rid of after kill bonuses that drags them down.

Another thing is widely requested and I have no idea why hasn’t implemented yet; adding Weapons Master passive an ability to carry non-Mighty, 2 handed weapons as main hand at the cost of 10-15% damage loss. A Barbarian should be able to carry a 2-handed sword or axe at the main hand while swinging a one-handed with the other.
Trick is, they can not carry shields or have a Mighty 2-handed with it; all Mighty 2-handed Weapons (and perhaps Staves if Barb chose to) must be carried with both hands.
That would give some builds abit of wiggle space for tweaking their damage at the cost of some defensive passives.

2 Likes

Dual 2H weapons with no negative damage penalty would help a lot and be one change. It’ll open up so much fun theorycrafting also! :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Uh oh.

Looks like someone jumped into the middle of a conversation and doesn’t understand context. Looks like someone failed to read the Barbarian Buff Proposal, and never saw the threads and conversations around it–conversations about how the devs did indeed read the proposal, how it was discussed in various podcasts, videos, and livestreams, etc.

The most talked-about buff proposal for D3, period.

Context matters.

2 Likes

Even 10% damage penalty is low considering 2-handed weapons deal 23-24% more damage compared to 1-handed weapons per hit. I’d like to point out that their damage per second may be low but their finishing power is way high compared to 1-handed weapons. I want 15% damage penalty because it’s a barely fair trade off considering dual wield give you 15% attack speed as in more dps. That also would allow Ruthless to change to something else since you keep higher finishing effectiveness with higher per hit damage.

I think a good idea would be to let Rampage refresh when you hit an enemy (but not gain stacks on hit, just refresh on hit). You still had to kill enemies to gain more stacks, but continuing to attack will keep your current amount of stacks refreshed.

I think that is because it would require the devs to create new attack animations for when a two handed weapon is used in one hand (or even dual wielding two 2-handed weapons) and that might to too much effort.

You know, the different types of weapons in the game all have different attack animations, and so it wouldn’t surprise me of they had to make completely now animations for the Barbarian as well if he would be able to wear 2-handed weapons in one hand.

Then decay time should be lengthen because finding RG after filling progress bar takes rather long, so Barbarian may have an opportunity to enter the fight with full stacks.

2 Likes

More rg should have adds to make EF viable in GR, other than that, nods to this thread and agree with this proposal.

4 Likes

I liked all these barbs build balancing ideas maybe they will do it at blizzcon ?

1 Like

Thanks for the support, folks. Barb buffs may or may not be around the corner, but it’s good to keep this visible!

4 Likes

I’m just worried the buffs are going to be too small to actually change anything…

“Blade of Tribes multiplier is now part of the legendary power and can be cubed!”

MicroRNA: See, Barbarians get attention.

3 Likes

They need to do barb better than wizard. Everybody dominated/rampage with wizard every season, it’s barb time, it’s show time.

1 Like

Hindsight is 20/20. The buffs due to new items were marginally good, not great (see below).

Update: Checked Free’s profile, he is currently using on his WW barb: Mortick’s bracers, the new Flavor of Time Amulet, the new Echoing Fury (cubed), and 2-piece Crimson Set.

Congratulations on getting to TL3 by the way.

This theory crafting has been shown to be wrong.
FoT is best in slot for some builds rather than what was claimed that its sole utility possibly was for zDPS monk.
Additional new patch 2.6.6 items Squirts, Echoing Fury, and Capptain Crimsons are also used in the top 100.

Mortick’s Bracers is widely used at the top of the leaderboard.

This is misleading.

The key thing is the restricted definition of meaningful buff that follows. Using this criteria, nothing in list 1 is “meaningful” given simple number changes/DPS buffs are not considered meaningful.

5 Likes

I was a bit scared that somehow the last thread got removed, “Message from barbs: do not nerf rend”, is that thread still up? or is this a repost/renaming of that thread? And d3 is at the point where even “mediocre” necro builds far outclass barb builds in both speed and pushing variants, if blizzard wants to “Argue” that ww rend isn’t skillful i don’t think LON necro mage could even be on the board then… Point is, i enjoy necro builds, mage builds, dh, builds, etc. I’ve played every class and my first class was the barb, and it will always be my favourite. Something about the brute toughness and damage of the barb’s playstyle is very enjoyable and many people believe the same. I hope they revert the nerfs, it’s really a huge step in blizzard’s statements about “listening to the community”, and if they don’t here, i don’t think there’s much hope for d4. D3 is an old game (still very enjoyable) so the leaderboards are matched by a few people who play consistently still and have reached those levels of para. Trust me, bringing this buff out will not allow an 800 paragon to clear a 140, a 130, or even a 120, time and dedication are still required.

Locked for 24 hours due to a high number of flags, most likely from Brahmaparusha’s twitchy followers.

New one here

2 Likes