1016 Error or Just stuck at Server Authenticator

I have been reading the forums and other sites up and down for an answer. I have tried every stupid test there is and every option that is given. The only thing that works is having to reset my computer completely. Even that only works sometimes. This issue just started about 2 days ago. Has never happened before.

Ill explain the issue so hopefully someone maybe has an idea. The game was working fine until about two days ago. The game crashed and gave me the 1016 error. When I attempted to restart it would get stuck and stop responding and or give me one green check mark saying it connected to blizzard server and a 1016 error about a min after that.

I reset my machine and the game worked fine, until it crashed again with another 1016. Once again I was back to square one either not responding or one check mark/1016 with error.

I have been reading everything about what could cause this and I am at my wits end. I have Flushed, I have deleted, i have reinstalled, i have run in administrator, i have run through every possible option that i have found here in the forums and on the internet. The problem still persists.

I know this is a problem, because many are complaining about the same issues at the moment. If any of you found a solution please help because i am tired.

1016 is a generic disconnection error. It is what everyone gets if they disconnect for any reason.

Ok - that means there is an issue with something on your PC blocking the connection. The usual culprit is security software, but other programs and overlays can do it too. Think about what is starting up after you boot between the time the game works and the time it stops working.

There was a big Windows update that was just pushed 3 days ago. There is a possibility something changed there with regard to your security settings or connection settings?

I had read that the 1016 was a generic disconnection. However that seems to have become the symptom from what ever the hell is actually taking place.

I will try to find out what in the blue hell starts up before and after it crashes. If it ever starts up. Which will be a fun task in itself. Windows updates as of late has caused a lot of games to well just not work. So maybe just maybe its that, but i am tired and this is just irritating. Hopefully i can find something or someone out there can find an actual solution.

1 Like

Well now I’m having this same problem. Played game last night with no problems. Came online to play today and now can’t play I’m having same trouble.

It takes about 4 or 5 mins to do Server Authenticator. Then I get error code 1016 .

Have tried everything in the forms to fix it. Even reinstalled game. Nothing seems to work! this is the first time this has ever happened to me too.

1 Like

I’m having this problem too, and it just started a day or two ago for me as well. I tried every step recommended online with no results, and just for kicks and grins I also tried changing my region from Americas to Europe–no results for anything I tried. I have a suspicion that maybe this is a problem on Blizzard’s end, since multiple people are reporting a similar problem around the same time. Overwatch seems to load up just fine and every other app on my computer is working as intended.

1 Like

Would this pertain to any of you…

It works for me.
Thanks!

Hey all,

We have seen reports that Avast/AVG may be preventing some players from logging in to Diablo 3 (as well as Overwatch) lately. Try temporarily disabling the shields before launching the game and after the game connects or once you’re done playing you should be safe to re-enable them.

Hopefully this is something that can be cleared up with an Avast/AVG definition update relatively soon.

1 Like

I have been getting the 1016 error on D3, and connection or login issues with Overwatch and Hearthstone as well. I dont have Avast or AVG and have been troubleshooting for 2 days. pls help

I have been getting the 1016 error on D3 an Starcraft, and have been troubleshooting for 2 days. pls help

Problem fixed now was a problem with Avast Antivirus had to disable it and 2 days later Avast did update their program and problem solved!