[SPOILER] The Darkening of Tristram Guide

The Darkening of Tristram Guide

You cannot get all of the Achievements in one run. But, An Eerie Red Glow Blurs Your Vision  Achievement, Red Soul Shard  and the Butcher  Pet require the following:

1. Create a new Level 1 Character. It can be Season or non-Season. (Or you can Rebirth a Character).
  2. Start in Adventure Mode.
  3. It must be a Solo game. (But, not necessarily a SSF game).
  4. DO NOT hire a Follower. (You don’t want them killing monsters before you enter the Portal to Tristram).
  5. You may equip a Cosmetic Pet. (No Skill Pets. But, at Level 1, you shouldn’t be able to).
  6. Do not enable Cube Powers. (Some may not matter. But some will, like Azurewrath, because they’ll kill monsters by just getting close to them. Especially on Normal Difficulty).
  7. Do not distribute Paragon Points. (This may not matter, but shouldn’t be needed).
  8. As soon as you enter the game, no matter what Act you start in, open the Map and click on Act I, The Old Ruins Waypoint. Head south (bottom of the area), to the destroyed well. There will be some monsters nearby. Ignore them. Do not attack, and instead, jump into the Portal to Tristram.
  9. Now that you are in Tristram, you can use Town Portal to return to New Tristram. Here you can hire your Follower, distribute your Paragon Points, enable Cube Powers and equip some decent gear. (Provided your new Character is not a new Seasonal Character at the beginning of a new Season. A new Seasonal Character will not have Paragon Points or Cube Powers extracted yet. And a new Character will only have starting gear or gear they find).
  • Note: Starting in Season 30 you will have access to the Altar of Rites. If you’ve unlocked the Anointed Seal, your Blacksmith is Level 12, and you’ve found the Plans, you will be able to craft and equip Level 70 items.
  1. Use your Town Portal to return to Tristram. Head to the Cathedral and complete all Labyrinth Levels 1 through 16 in one session.

You will not complete all of the Achievements in one run-through. But, you can complete most of them. Concentrate on the following:

• Enter each Level, including the side dungeons. You don’t need to full clear them all. Just get credit for entering them.
  • Kill the four main Bosses: The Butcher, Skeleton King, Arch-Bishop Lazarus and The Dark Lord (Diablo).

Once you’ve defeated The Dark Lord, you should get An Eerie Red Glow Blurs Your Vision  Achievement, the Red Soul Shard  and the Butcher  Pet. (The Butcher  Pet does not drop. It is automatically added to your Collection).

Now you can concentrate on completing the rest of The Darkening of Tristram  Achievements, which include the following:

1. Pssst… Over Here… : Starts with finding the Rotten Mushroom on Labyrinth Level 9. (Hang on to it. If you lose it, you’ll have to collect another one).

1. The Cultist Pages: Kill the Temporal Priests that can spawn in any Act. (See Additional Information below for details). There are 7 Pages. Once you have one of each, 1 through 7, you will get the Achievement, I Sense a Soul in Search of Answers.

1. Protector of Tristram: Kill the remaining Elite Bosses in the Labyrinth. This may take several more runs through the Cathedral’s 16 Levels in Tristram (not The Old Ruins Cathedral).

Good luck and have fun!  

Additional Information:

Here is a list of all The Darkening of Tristram  Achievements and rewards and how to earn them:

Thank Goodness You’ve Returned!

Kill all 4 bosses in The Darkening of Tristram event.

• The Butcher
  • Skeleton King
  • Arch-Bishop Lazarus
  • The Dark Lord

Achievement Rewards: Ogden’s Sign  Banner Sigil and Ogden’s Brew  Banner Accent.

Protector of Tristram

Kill all unique monsters from the Labyrinth.
(The numbers in parenthesis are the Labyrinth Levels where they’ll spawn).

Nightwing the Cold (7) Goldblight of the Flame (10)
Viletouch (12) Bilefroth the Pit Master (6)
Baron Sludge (8) Oozedrool (9)
Shadowcrow (5) Snotspill (4)
Foulwing (5) Gharbad the Weak (4)
Deathshade Fleshmaul (6) Bloodgutter (6)
Blighthorn Steelmace (7) Bloodskin Darkbow (5)
Gorestone (7) Zhar the Mad (8)
The Vizier (15) Breakspine (9)
Bluehorn (11) Blackstorm (10)
Firewound the Grim (8) Brokenhead Bangshield (3)
Lionskull the Bent (12) Graywar the Slayer (14)
Rustweaver (13) Steelskull the Hunter (14)
Warlord of Blood (13) Sir Gorash (16)
Madeye the Dead (3) Blacklash the Burning (4)
Fangspeir (11) Viperflame (12)
Witchmoon (13) Blackjade (UA)
Red Vex (UA) Stareye the Witch (14)
Brokenstorm (9) The Flayer (10)
Shadowbite (2) Rotfeast the Hungry (2)

Achievement Rewards: Classic Demon  Portrait Frame

I Sense a Soul in Search of Answers

Collect all the Cultist Pages from the precursor event.

• Cultist Page 1
  • Cultist Page 2
  • Cultist Page 3
  • Cultist Page 4
  • Cultist Page 5
  • Cultist Page 6
  • Cultist Page 7

Achievement Rewards: Classic Angel  Portrait Frame

Pssst… Over Here…

Acquire Wirt’s Leg in The Darkening of Tristram event.

Achievement Rewards: This starts the hidden event, Map of the Stars, and yields the Royal Calf  Cosmetic Pet. (See Mnemonic’s video, embedded below).

The Dark Passage

Visit the Dark Passage.

The Chamber of Bone

Visit the Chamber of Bone.

The Halls of the Blind

Visit the Halls of the Blind.

An Eerie Red Glow Blurs Your Vision

Kill the Dark Lord in a solo game starting with a Level 1 character in The Darkening of Tristram event.

Achievement Rewards: The Butcher  Cosmetic Pet.

When you kill The Dark Lord he will drop the Red Soul Shard  Legendary Gem.

Placing the Red Soul Shard  Legendary Gem in any socketed Helm will give you the Red Soul Shard  Helm Transmogrification.

Mnemonic’s The Darkening of Tristram Video Guide:

11 Likes

`

The Cultist Pages: Kill the Temporal Cultist groups that can spawn anywhere, in any Act, including side dungeons. There are 7 Pages. Once you have one of each, 1 through 7, you will get the Achievement.

`

I have a tip to farm the cultist pages. If you just want to get them out of the way - select The Core of Arreat in Act 3. There are always cultists there that you can find in under a minute that drops a page. You can keep killing them then restarting the game. I was able to get all the pages tonight in under an hour.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

It’s already started?

It’s already started?

The cultists yes. The portal to old tristram no.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks.  

Here’s my compiled tips for farming cultist pages: https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/eire4e/darkening_of_tristam_portal_opens_january_3_but/

1 Like

Thank you for sharing.  

This works great, thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did this today and did not get the achievement or the pet. I started with a fresh level 1 character and did everything it said.

Did you die? :man_shrugging:

You can die unless in HC mode.

In addition, I’d add one point:

• Must do it in one sitting. Don’t leave the game, because when coming back in a new game, you no longer starts from level 1.

I thought that one of the Achievements or Rewards required completing all 16 Levels of the Labyrinth without dying.

It’s difficult for me to test this since I completed it in its entirety when it was first deployed in 2017 (I believe it was).

(I suppose I could test it on another Region, but I haven’t got the energy these days.   )

I reformatted the steps in the guide to numbered bullets, so it was easier to reference. But, #10 says:

Oops, I didn’t see #10. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :stuck_out_tongue:

I did not. However, I just re-did it and got it.

Congratulations!  

once i start out in the cathedral dungeon @ lvl 1, can i tp back to town at all should i need to take a break/sell & salvage items during the run? or is it just straight thru non-stop?

You can return to town. You just can’t leave the game if you want the achievement.

Just a reminder:

You only have to start with a Level 1 Character and not kill any monsters until you enter Tristram. Once you’ve entered Tristram, you can go anywhere you want — mostly to town to empty your Inventory. (See #9 of the Guide).

As TimberWolf stated, you just don’t want to leave or quit your game until you complete all 16 Levels of the Labyrinth beneath the Cathedral. It’s a long trek, but you can return to town as often as you need.

Good luck and good hunting!  

I have a question, can I do it with a seasonal character? Because I got some achievements left especially the one with the butcher pet so I gotta make another character.

Yes, you can do it in season.