XBOX Series X controller randomly disconnects

Same problem here (Also using elite wireless 2 controller on windows 11 laptop via bluetooth), just random disconnects while playing D2R and no issues while playing other gmaes

This is wat solved it for me found it on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/p3yqvl/for_anyone_with_controller_problems_on_d2r_pc/)

1. Make sure you have Switch Pro Controller support enabled in Steam. Go to Steam → Settings → Controller → General Controller Settings. Check the “Switch Pro Configuration Support” for a Switch Pro controller, or “Generic Gamepad Configuration Support” for anything else. You can leave both selected.
  2. Add Diablo 2 R to Steam. Go to Games → “Add a Non-Steam Game To My Library”. A list of detected games should appear, you should see Diablo 2 Resurrected Beta in the list. You can also click on “Browse” and select Game.exe from your install folder if you want to skip the launcher.
  3. Launch Diablo from your steam library. The launcher will open, that’s fine. Once the game loads, your controller will automatically be enabled. Strangely, the intro cinematics and whatnot seem to not detect the controller. Once you log in to battle.net the interface will flash once and the cursor will disappear, that’s when it’s ready to use the controller.

+1 to get this more visibility - happens for me as well. Haven’t tried the work around yet but plan to, shouldn’t be something that’s required though.

My girlfriend had this issue on her pc, while I never had the problem. She just got a new work from home job and I was setting up a new desk for her with a new ultrawide monitor and her current keyboard and mouse. decided I wanted to see what it was like to game on the ultrawide, so i plugged my pc into it and connected to her mouse and wireless keyboard, next thing I know, My controller was now disconnecting constantly when playing D2R (and only D2R).
New it had to be something with what I hooked up (her peripherals), but had no idea what. Hooked my pc back up to my tv, turned off her wireless mouse and keyboard… controller is still disconnecting constantly in d2. Uninstalled any software I had installed for her mouse and keyboard, no luck… removed all the devices from bluetooth, no luck… updated bluetooth drivers and xbox controller firmware, still no luck.
Finally, I went into the device manager and deleted all keyboard devices (and checkmarked uninstall driver software, if it gave the option), and then clicked refresh to let it reinstall my original keyboard. I also did a view- show hidden devices and deleted those.
after that, problem is fixed.
It seems D2R does NOT like my girlfriends corsair wireless keyboard, and having that installed was causing the issue.

So, if you have a Corsair keyboard, try deleting it from device manager - keyboards, and then use a different keyboard until Blizzard fixes this.

I want to re-emphasize, this problem ONLY exist with diablo 2 resurrected, and no other games on both of the pc’s I experienced it on, so I am thoroughly convinced the issue is with d2r and a fix needs to be implemented by blizzard, and not with the corsair.

Bump.

Blizz fix it. Thankfully the Steam fix worked for me.

Having the same problem, in my case with a Elite Controller V2. So annoying…!

1 Like

Same issue here. Works fine wired, but wireless just kills the controller. Even when using my mouse/keyboard and the controller is on, I literally see my controller flashing in attempts to “reconnect” when Diablo 2: Disconnected is on.

1 Like

I am having similar problems on Bluetooth keyboards Keychron K1, K2, K3.
Keyboards disconnect randomly after D2r is logged in, game occasionally freezes too.

No such problems on Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard and Razer Raiju Mobile Bluetooth controller.

same problem here. update you gamepad support microsoft

Just wanted to say this happened on my Windows 10 installation and now happens with Windows 11,even with the latest preview updates. Only happens in D2R when using Bluetooth Xbox Series S/X controller. Again, wired is fine. Every other game and program doesn’t exhibit this issue.

PSA: I’ve updated to the absolute latest Windows 11 Cumulative Update (KB5008353) and now it all works perfectly! My controller no longer disconnects every 5 seconds. There must be a similar update for Windows 10.

I checked the patch notes for this cumulative update and there is a lot of stuff regarding Bluetooth, so they must’ve solved it. I hope this helps someone and that the update works for them.

3 Likes

I hate to necro a post but…

PSA: it appears that if you disable Controller Vibration in the gameplay options it stops disconnecting your controller.

1 Like