Why is MH against the ToS? Diablo's Originality

The number of individuals posting on the forum that understand why they were banned, but are unable to grasp the philosophical and ethical reasoning behind it seems vast. So it’s time for a history lesson and gameplay design rhetoric.

In single player, the maps don’t reset because it’s a persistent world of 1 player. This is true only until you create a new world, then those maps are also randomized.

Online, not only is it different, but it’s competitive. So the map changes. Why does the map change?

Well the most obvious reason is that the map being randomized levels out the fairness of players receiving better maps vs. worse. This way they can reduce the amount of RNG in a more competitive setting, while also keeping a core aspect of the game.

In the original Diablo, one major cornerstone, besides the live action and randomized loot, was the map always being different on each playthrough.

This was such a huge aspect to replayability alongside loot, that they made it a persistent aspect of the Diablo franchise.

If hacking what loot drops would merit a ban, then breaking the second most important aspect to replayability would too.

What you’ve accomplished with MH is a psuedo-drop rate increase by illegally boosting the rate at which loot drops, this is because you no longer have to explore the map alongside your fellow players.

Loot drops and map randomization are cornerstones to the franchise. MH gives the player a clear advantage by removing arguably the second most important aspect to Diablo’s originality. It was always going to result in a ban.

TLDR: if Diablo had a 10 commandments, using MH would break No. 2.

3 Likes

I blame Game Genie/Game Shark for the compulsive cheating and the notion that cheating is a “normalcy”. :stuck_out_tongue:

:arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_left: :arrow_right: :arrow_left: :arrow_right: :b: :a:
I thought I was so awesome when I found out about the Konami code. I used it so many times that even though I haven’t used it in over 30 years, it’s still chiseled in my mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I suppose, but when I used those cheats it was only ever on NES, SNES. Most of the good games like Super Contra and Mario had their own cheats built in. Like the level porting and one life per kill.

Oh, and SC single player campaign cheats were fun, but again, built into the game like showmethemoney or WC’s AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs.

I remember so many WC2 and SC cheats lol.

Operation cwal
Power overwhelming
Glittering prizes (gold in wc2 I think)
There is no cow level

Hilarious that I remember these from 20 years ago.

1 Like

power overwhelming was one of my favorites. I agree though, after beating the game legit, sometimes you just wanted to go back and launch X nukes simultaneously, or create a wall of siege tanks etc.

1 Like

There are only a few games cheats are allowed in. Doom/Doom 2 (when you are a little kid), Heroes of Might and Magic 3/4 (when you’re a young teen), and Grand Theft Auto 3 (whenever you trick mom into buying it).

Which works great until you’re just innocently driving around, running over civilians, and that hooker cat calls you, and your mom goes 0_o

1 Like

MH existed since early 2K and always was bannable. Those are the rules set since Blizzard North. Using third party programs to have unfair advantage over other players.