What the point of this test realm?

Your links did not provide much info , i already knew what a PTR is but there is zero info on what exactly we are testing. Once again u cannot test servers without traffic i know this from modding , there simply not enough people on this PTR to get a good idea if they are stable or not . There is not enough games to even try the refresh button that doesnt work

All good i get it now , i logged in it worked testing complete

3 Likes

If you want the whole background on the Database issues you can check the main thread. They discussed putting up this PTR to test some Database Architecture changes quite some time ago. They screwed up big time taking a database from 2000 that was scaled for Regional application and trying to scale it to 2021 Global use across multiple platforms. It still had the old code and some single process bottlenecks. It fell over dead, crashed the servers, lost chars, lost data, etc.

If you mod you might understand why changing the database structure and coding after Live release is an issue. In my opinion I have no idea why they did not do it BEFORE releaseā€¦ but yeah.

I get that now lol. what you do not understand is there is not enough traffic on the PTR to test what they want to test, this is a complete waste. As i said typically there would be bug fixes or new changes to test, if we are testing server load and stability with no one online it simply wont work. There was 3 games and i could not even test the refresh button, my guess is servers will run just fine without being under stress from being filled with players.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how they have this test set up right now. I know they are collecting a ton of metrics on the backend. It would be a pretty big disaster if it turns out releasing the PTR patch changes + database changes at once made it all come crashing down.

First steps. Hopefully the changes are stable enough on the first round that they can build on that and deploy the game change PTR on top of it.

Just prove that someone canā€™t read or not willing to read

Hopefully , blizzard was not ready to release this game clearly. Look at Arpgs like Lost ark they have PTR before the flippin release!!! let u play free until its ready, blizzard could really learn from developers with far smaller budgets.

I love d2 but honestly feel like i have been robbed 60 bucks at this point , i hope the PTR for 2.4 comes soon and i will test the crap out of it. All i want is a freaking working ladder i paid for it with my hard earned dollars.

Honestly, I really think they should have just gone the automated route and had a cluster of clients automatically logging in and out every 30 seconds to test the databaseā€™s ability to handle that activity. I donā€™t think theyā€™re going to get a really good stress test out of this, especially since they (still!) have a communication problem and so few people even know the PTR is available now. Iā€™m sure it will kick up over the next couple of days, but letā€™s be honest - they should have hyped the living hell out of this to get players to try and knock over the database.

Their PTR post should have had a section that clearly sttaes that this is phase 1 for specifically testing the database issues and for people to run the hell out of something like Pindleskin as fast as they can. Anything really would have been better than the way it was formatted.

On a side note, having a character with a 100% full inventory with only cube space reminds me just how much I hate how charms kill the enjoyment of the loot hunt aspect of the game and how badly we need a charm inventory (locking charms out of the primary inventory, naturally).

Please learn to spell sentenceā€™s properly before accusing people of not being able to read.

" Just prove that someone just canā€™t read or not willing to read"

yes you just proved that to us all

Blizz DID have an Alpha in April, Closed Beta in Sept, and Open Beta in Sept but they were limited.

Some of the database issues and bugs that were identified by players in the Beta still went Live :frowning: I do agree the whole missing chars, missing data, and nearly a week of down time could have been avoided, or at least limited and handled better.

That is my outside opinion though. I donā€™t get to sit there and look over their shoulder or listen in meetings. I have no idea what the test results said or what limitations the team was under for a release push.

Lmao someone has no more argument standing ground canā€™t do a legit reply without attacking people.

Perhaps after the epic failure alpha and beta were they could have pushed the release date to 2022ā€¦ thats what a decent company would have done not scam die hard fans out of 60 bucks and then still have to wait until 2022 to play promised ladder and server stability. That said i will continue to hope for 2.4 PTR to be running soon and God willing i can play ladder by february , with stability!

There is no God. Because I ate him.

Believe what you wish, still free country at least for nowā€¦

:thinking:

1 Like

lol yes I made a spelling error and added an apostrophe where it should not be, at least I did not say PROVES that dinosaurs existed! Good trolling , where is your next target? The whole point was for someone who cannot spell to keep quiet and not be rude when it comes to spelling and reading.

The Alpha/Beta tests we got seemed more like advertising campaigns in disguise.

1 Like

Hey, just pointing that out, Iā€™m not trolling. If you want to grammar/spell police people, you should make sure that you have no errors in your sentences. :stuck_out_tongue:

The PTR servers are test servers, they are much less powerful than the live servers. With the less traffic it sees, it can already be considered stress testing. Blizzard can take this performance data, scale it up to the live server capacity, and then determine how the new database changes perform.

yes you are right, I will be more careful next time LOL .

I would never do that to someone though, I only pointed out their error because they were very rude.

I donā€™t disagree. While it is normal that all BIG game design decisions are made by Beta time, they usually still take action on Bug reports.

The BIG ones like ā€œcanā€™t log in to char, char already in gameā€ existed during Beta. Little ones like Cain not being able to ID items inside the cube. Poor UI decisions like the ease with which people could accidentally delete chars.

One of those things is not like the others. I donā€™t care that the annoying ID issue was not fixed, but the other two result in lost time/chars/data in a game that is a very time intensive grinding game. Lost progress like that is very much ā€œnot funā€.