What a disaster of a PTR - But that's the point I guess!

Some of the things I am going to say are going to sound like a rant, but I’d like you to think of it as things being said in a very harsh way on purpose, to get the point across. I’d still like to keep this constructive if possible, but I will be attacking the things, and possibly even the people who deserve it here.

So the actual point of THIS PTR was supposed to be to alleviate the problems of log ins and queues when high volumes of people are playing. The irony of that is, most people couldn’t get onto their characters. The other purpose was to see the balance changes.

I was fortunate enough however, to get on. The first thing I did, was run to my main - A Bowzon, only to be lead to quite possibly, the most concerningly horrible PTR / Beta test of my life.

It immediately became PAINFULLY clear, that whomever they have working on balance, has absolutely NO idea how to build this class whatsoever, and probably doesn’t even play the game. They gave you a merc with a piece of armor that spells no runeword at all (and even if it did, it’s not even a runeword that helps you), a bunch of skillers for bow/crossbow, and locked in 20 points into both Multishot & Freezing arrow. There is not a soul alive that knows how to play this character, that would build this way, even for a freezing arrow zon. A highlords? On a bowa that does all cold damage? Help us…

After how horrible this was set up, I immediately lost faith in even caring about whatever the changes are going to be, because it’s clear the team working on them is just throwing darts at random stuff on a wall and running with it, and I logged off.

I guess that’s why we have PTR’s though. Feedback!

So here’s my advice. Whomever you have working on balance in the future, please make sure those people are not only advocates of the class, but clearly one of the top contenders of that class. People that have explored all options and understand how gear synergizes, and also does NOT synergize. For example, Crit doesn’t help cold damage, so using a highlords is 100% pointless, not to mention, crit from highlords also doesn’t stack w/ critical strike, so the crit provided by highlords, only applies to an average of 34% of attacks, because an average of 66% of your attacks are already crits from critical strike talent. That means, highlords is only actually giving you 20% of 34%, which is about 7% realized more crit. Only the uneducated use highlords on bowas. It’s a waste of either FRW you could have from cats, or amp from atmas.

2nd, you dropped a bowa in with 20 hard points of Multishot in. Okay, there’s the first mistake…20 hard points of ms would never ever happen because at 24 total points, putting MORE points into the ability actually makes it WEAKER ( only ability that does that ), but if you had someone running that, and that person looked at the damage, and with ALL the unique gear that model has on, the character does EIGHT HUNDRED damage…you STILL didn’t identify the problem? That person should be FIRED. That’s not a gamer. You were duped.

It is pointless to test feature changes when your team builds the character out completely incorrectly for the test environment. It tells us very little, if anything at all about what the changes you made actually do to the real world characters your playerbase will create.

Also, when you roll out a new patch PTR in anticipation to TEST the stress of game saving, and queues, it is questionable at best that the problem is worse than on live realms, after this supposed patch is supposed to be the solution that took 3 months to conjure.

Another note - your queues are still broken.
I am logging in with 7 computers. Computers 1-5 got right in. Computer 6 is in a 142 person queue. Computer 7 got right in, after computer 6 was placed into a queue. This means your queues are artificial, and aren’t actually functioning as queues.

Next time, simply do what you do with world of warcraft classic releases, and allow people to copy over their existing live characters to the PTR’s. This gives everyone their build, so they can EASILY realize how your proposed changes are going to mess with the game most people already asked you not to screw with in the first place.

I have never in my life, done a PTR / BETA, and afterwards, been SO concerned about what I see, that I run to my computer folders, and back up my current live version, just so that in my anticipation of you guys screwing this up, I can revert back to the old version and play offline…that’s sad.

LlamaSC barely even knows what he’s doing on a bowa, but even he would tell you this was just wrong, if you weren’t sponsoring him and he wasn’t afraid to lose that reputation with you.

As another note, when you create a PTR, you’re not supposed to take the server resources away from your LIVE game that people PAID FOR…what in the world did your psychiatrists prescribe you guys? As I’m typing, the server status of live has changed. Nobody can log into the live game now because you jammed all your server resources into the PTR. You’re supposed to create ADDITIONAL servers so as not to disrupt your paying CUSTOMERS!!!

What this also means is, we should expect queues of 300+, because that’s what one of my machines is sitting in now…not to mention every time the queue finishes it just tells me “failed to connect to server”.

I sincerely hope we’re nowhere close to ladder after seeing this. This is nothing short of a catastrophic disaster. I couldn’t even bare opening the other characters. After knowing how out of touch your development team is with the environments they’re working on, I don’t even want to know.

And now we can’t play our regular characters unless we’re already logged in. You have managed to suck in 2 completely different d2r environments in a single night. That’s a new record. Don’t take this as a personal attack. I’m hoping you see this, and use my harsh criticism as inspiration to stop making the same sucky, stupid, horribly planned out, botched mistakes over and over again in the future. This has beyond gotten old at this point.

14 Likes

Blizzards co-op support for D2 has been woeful since the 1.09+ hiatus after the original team left.

The game started out reasonably balanced and MP focused because it was following AD&D and other RPG principles with complementary party skills and synergies. It was built from the ground up.

It seems fairly clear that D2R was mostly just focused around modernising the graphics and that’s exactly how it was sold - but I am not holding my breath on gameplay and balance improvements. Have they even updated the server architecture or are they still on the same boxes as they were 20 years ago?

2 Likes

I think you have mistaken 1 thing. There is NO balance change with current PTR.

Currently PTR exist only to test the new codes they written to help with the server and database connection issue.

4 Likes

This is how Jeff Kaplan got his job. Keep at it. Not being sarcastic. Well done.

I mean…it’s absurd! I would love to be a director with a ton of oversight authority over this project for just 90 days, just to remind them what it’s like to be lead in a single, unified direction, by a gamer who actually plays the game and cares about the product and the playerbase at the same time… It would completely uproot their entire operation and maybe, just MAYBE…get them back on track with what their games are supposed to be, with happier customers to boot. Where are these people? I’ve laid into Blizzard so many times that they would never hire me, but man if they did…holy crap it would be a game changer for sure.

2 Likes

It’s a database backend test. If you logged into the PTR at least once, you helped.

That’s about all there is to say about this PTR. There are no balance changes. The 2.4 PTR is next.

3 Likes

Way to read the whole post, and correctly extract not a single point of what was said there chief.

1 Like

op you need to hear this

THERE ARE NO BALANCE CHANGES THIS PTR. it was just for database testing

1 Like

This is great feedback honestly. You have a whole multi computer testing setup and seem to have both some general impressions on how it feels, along with very very specific feedback QA can use. Just keep in mind the point of this phase is backend database testing (so spamming game creation, logins, etc.)

It would be best on the PTR Feedback forum though.

You can move your own thread so it gets the proper attention. To do that hit the edit button (pencil icon) on your post. Up near the title somewhere should be a drop down box with the various sub forum names. Switch to the PTR Feedback forum and it should move your thread for you.

And yes, the point was to try some database changes on the back end…and the goal was to break it.

6 Likes

Thanks - Moved it to appropriate thread.

1 Like

Now that is how you get a point across, Clap Clap. To bad you failed to read the notes Before logging in. But thanks for looking out brother!. Please do the same when 2.4 is launched.

I’ve had a similar reaction to you OP, though I have no gift or oratory as you do. Thanks for being smart with them words and expressing what i try to say but get lost due to my own trollish nature.

One thing was clear is that the dev team have absolutely no idea what is going on, or they are extremely gifted trolls who know so much about the game they can make it seem like they are huge noobs but have just enough there to make it seem like a legit attempt.

Either way my reaction as a player who takes this game very seriously is what the hell?

Lol @ OP trying to pose for their manager. Ridiculous tone of speech haha. All that wall of text and no clue that this part of ptr is not balance related.

3 Likes

But the characters attached to it will likely be the ones you are given for the balance test, and even if they’re not, their mods took time to build out these characters, horribly horribly incorrectly, STILL insinuating (regardless of your point) that the people they have working on the game, do not understand the game.

You would not play this game knowing how to play a … say a barbarian … and then start recommending your friend stack energy gear to play a barbarian. That’s what we get here. Server test or not, it means there’s incompetency already shining through, and we’re not even testing balance yet. That’s bad. Not 1 good thing comes from this preview of what we’re about to receive.

-Queues still broken, and not even functioning as queues. As an additional note to this, you can spam cancel then reconnect, and sometimes it will place you in a significantly “shorter queue”, and sometimes it will cause it to just skip it completely (or sometimes not). Your community is starting to call it the “queue roulette”.
-Balance changes will be untestable with the current gear on characters we were given
-Inability to log in completely. Please have players who are leaders of their classes, (preferrably as hardcore players) give you the template builds to test. Reach out to your players. We will HELP YOU!
-Faith in incoming changes in severe question
-PTR causing live realms to suffer, although admittedly this problem since writing the post has since dissipated.

By the way, don’t think we have forgotten. You promised this patch was supposed to not only fix the problems of queues and logging in during busy hours, but also REMOVE THE QUEUE AND GAME CREATION TIMER COMPLETELY! We are CERTAINLY not seeing that.

And don’t even get me started on your willingness to just ignore the biggest most insane bug of all time while making other completely useless and neglectful changes — The chat bug. We are in 2022. You can literally chat through a virtual character in a 3D world, where the voice chat recognizes your words, and animates the lips of the character to closely mimic what you’re actually saying. You on the other hand, have still not addressed something AOL didn’t even have a problem with in 1994. Get your priorities in check please, and while you’re doing it, communicate with your players about the changes you’re going to make so we’re not sitting around wondering. Oh and please don’t give us those communications in the in game chat, as nobody would see them.

Seriously guys, we would like some answers.

Maybe read the blue posts

We have seen the comments about how gear may not match exact builds. The team is basing these off of just gear from some setups that aren’t specific to this meta and more from a QA environment. As this PTR isn’t fully focused in on testing any balance, we aren’t going to make widespread changes to the existing gear right now, but you can expect all the needed gear to be available in the 2.4 PTR which will arrive soon and after this instance of PTR so we can ensure we get proper feedback on the balance changes.

3 Likes

honestly it kinda looks like someone OG from the jsp general discussion section spent weeks crafting the perfect troll masterpeice characters. It actually shows these devs have a very deep knowledge of the game.

I think a true nooby would just slap enigma grief and hoto on everything then call it a day. Check out that tornado druid bro… you got to be impressed i mean come on that thing is beatiful!!!

I don’t know… I’m a bit concerned honestly since I saw the builds they made for PTR. You saw the Javazon with 0 in Lightning Fury and everything in Jab? And all these charms that are completely random, and so many other weird things. I’m utterly puzzled about how they created their builds.

Clearly they can conjure items as the mule of Tokens proves (created in a rush after the Ith/Ist debacle), but then why take so much time creating all these random charms?

It seems like it was copied/pasted from some existing user’s characters, then points were semi-randomly distributed, and they called it a day. Such a weird outcome.

My best guess is they mixed stuff up on purpose to promote people logging in and out of characters a lot. That’s what they were trying to test with this ptr. The infinity was likely just a straight up fail that they didnt catch though.

Thanks for the great read. It is not often outside of politics or health issues for true comedy to walk itself down a rabbit hole from non-sense to facepalm worthy so quickly. Impressive work!

That feedback would’ve been cut by 75% if you’ve read the dev/patch notes before giving feedback. Also your elitism is showing.

PTR 2.4 patch notes just got released, make sure you read them this time if you plan to write another feedback thread.