Weird Graphics problem

My game graphics periodically turn into strange colors and blocks of black areas making it impossible to see the details in places like in the tombs in Act 2. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern to when it happens but it makes it really difficult to take out groups of enemies that you can’t see. Anyone else have this issue? I can fix it by exiting out of the game but it’s a little annoying to have to clear out areas again. Any suggestions?

https://tech4gamers.com/gpu-artifacting/

• Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.
  • Blow the computer out to clean out the dust if you haven’t done so in a while. Clean any intake vent dust/lint filters. If you use an air compressor to blow the system out, use a rapid sweeping motion. Avoid deliberately using the air stream to spool up the fans to high speeds, as the centrifugal force can rip the fan blades off. This is especially important for laptops.
  • (Desktop) If that doesn’t help, investigate improving the airflow through your case. Hot air rises, so make sure your airflow goes in from the bottom/front, out through the top/back.
  • (Desktop) Make sure there is at least 6 inches of clearance around the back. If there is exhaust vents on the top of the case, avoid setting anything on top of the system.
  • If you know the airflow is good and your temperatures are good, then you might be looking at permanent hardware damage.

If it’s something that doesn’t happen at first, but happens only after playing the game for a while, that is a dead giveaway that it’s temperature related.

TLDR: It’s probably an issue with D2R and your NVIDA GPU. Some people get it, some don’t. Fortitude seems to be a cause of many of these issues. A friend of mine has experienced this and I looked into it for him. There are several posts about this issue in Technical Difficulties. Here is a link to one of them:

Here is a link to another one, although it discusses crashes, the two issues are often connected:

I would suggest checking them out or other posts like it.

Good article. This definitely aligns with Blizzard’s response of “It’s a hardware issue, not our issue.” However, there is definitely something going on in the game code that is causing issues, because there are known game crashes at Shenk and Baal wave 2, for example, that are consistently reported by players that are not experiencing crashes elsewhere and are not reporting overheating issues or issues with crashes in other games. There is also artifacting being reported very often with Fortitude’s Chilling Armor, but not elsewhere or with other game assets.

It’s important to make sure that the hardware platform is 100% stable before the finger can be pointed at the game.

I’ve seen computers that were crazy filthy in my time working on systems. It’s easy to forget that computers are dust magnets, which will pile up in any nook and cranny that it can blocking the important airflow needed to keep the system cool.

More expensive graphics cards are typically generous on their cooling solutions as far as handing the thermal overhead from dust buildup. Cheaper cards are typically skimpy on their cooling solutions, barely just able to keep up with the chip when its under a 100% workload without dust buildup of any kind.

Try dropping VFX Lighting Quality down a notch. Ever since I switched it to High, the Fortitude bug has disappeared.

it could be the cpu, ive seen these types of issues in games when running a lower end cpu paired with a high end gpu, sometimes the cpu cant keep up with loading textures resulting in black areas,discolored areas, and even seeing under the map and stuff cause the road or something doesnt load in games