Unable to re-install

Last week i tried to uninstall Diablo and install it again at a different disc in order to free some space from C.

I completed the uninstall with no issues.

I started installing D2R again and the download started with no issues.
Below the load bar, I was getting messages that indicated the download speed and how many GB were left.

But when it reached around 31%, the message changed and it was writing something like: “… updating …”, don’t remember really.
Then after a few hours with no change, i closed the Battlenet window. When I reopened it, i was getting various messages below the progress bar:

Sometimes the button was saying “Play”, others “Updating”, but it was not clickable.
The message from indicating how many GB were left to download, it was writing “Initializing …”, or it showed some random numbers.

I tried to select uninstall again, or “Scan and Repair”, but it is stack.
I have left it running for many hours everyday with no change.

The date i tried to uninstall and install again, was Thursday 13 January and the issue occurred the following day.

The only thing I haven’t tried was to manually delete the folder i am trying to install D2R, uninstall Battlenet if possible and try again.

Any ideas?

Hey there DarkMenace,

It sounds very frustrating that Diablo 2: Resurrected is refusing to reinstall on that second drive. It seems to be stopping after getting partially downloaded which may be due to permissions, damaged files, interfering programs, or a connection problem. The Battle.net application also seems to be having a different symptom which may be a clue here.

What I’d like to try is a reinstall of the Battle.net application, but to be extra thorough with removing ALL folders it uses. There are some places where temporary files are kept that aren’t removed with a normal uninstall. If something is damaged in those areas, it can cause issues like this, so we’ll want to nuke everything with the following steps:

1. Uninstall the application
  2. Press Windows key + R and type in %temp%
  3. Delete anything related to Blizzard or Battle.net
  4. Do the same for %programdata%, %localappdata%, %appdata%
  5. Reinstall the application. A fresh installer should be downloaded for this

Once that’s done, please test if the install will finish up. Should a problem persist, please test creating and switching to a new administrator account to see if that helps.

Hopefully these ideas help out. Cheers!

I have tried those suggestions and it seems that it is stuck again.

The button now says “UPDATING” and the message below the progress bar says “Initializing …”
Although the dots … next to the “Initializing” are moving, so perhaps something is happening. I do not know if that was relevant or not, or if it is trying to run some other process that is interfering with the download.

Any other suggestions before i try again from scratch?
As last solution, i will try to do a full format.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.