Unable to connect from Asia since DDoS (never resolved)

For a bit of background I’m from the US but live in Asia for work. So even though Asia is ‘home’ server I spend 90% of my time on the Americas server (yay for doing uber Tristram with 200+ ping). D2R’s cross-region play has been an absolute godsend for me, and makes trading awesome as well.

However after the other day’s DDOS attack I noticed something very peculiar while trying to reconnect. While most people seemed to have no issue reconnecting I was getting endless queued and ‘unable to connect’ messages for hours after Blizz tweeted everything was fine. I tried Americas, Asia, and Europe with the same results.

I kept trying to connect in the background while doing other things with no luck for hours. Then on a whim I VPNed to the US, and bam, instant connection. No queue, no loading, just instantaneous connection. Because of work I have 3 machines that can all run D2R, one in a completely different location. This was tried on all three machines (2 accounts) and reproduced exactly the same results every time. Connecting from Asia, endlessly waiting. VPN to the US, instant connection.

So what is going on? Are players in the Asia region being shut out due to the Thanksgiving surge or something? I’d understand and accept if I had to VPN to connect to Americas, but this is forcing me to VPN to even connect to my home server of Asia, or even to login to the desktop app to chat with my friends list. That is unacceptable.

2 Likes

Interesting concept there. I dare say it is being shut out due to holiday season.

Can just imagine what would happen during spring break…

You don’t lock out a region just because another is in a peak holiday season. You scale up servers or whatever the hell it is that they do.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.