Tweet about Console matchmaking Reply from Rod

Post reply from Rod Fergusson on the Console Party finder on Twitter. Date Oct 5 at 12:48pm.

A person asked “I guess I’ll keep asking you why I can’t play with other people on console… It says searching then creates a game. I bought a copy for xbox and switch. Are you going to answer or completely ignoring the question”

Rod replied “You can, it’s just that the time window that a game is available is relatively short as we were trying to make sure it was still relevant when you were connected to it. We’re looking at possibly loosening that to create more opportunity to join a game instead of creating new.”

So it looks like they are looking at making the window bigger…

That is NOT what will help the console players. We need WORKING LOBBIES. I can do this in Splitgate, i can name lobbies in custom games using my controller. Why can i not in a game that was built around such lobbies?

8 Likes

I responded to him, we all should.

3 Likes

Makes sense. I always wondered what happens to a game after you complete an objective. Say I start a game at level 1 and have to choose den of evil. To find and clear that it might take what, 5 minutes? What happens to the game after that?

2 Likes

Looks like it closes and no on can join it. But we dont know anything b/c they wont tell us.

4 Likes

They stated that once a quest is completed, the game turns into “free roam” which is an option for the party finder. I’ve had an horrible experience with the free roam option so far, often being matched with players wayyyyyyy lower level than me.

3 Likes

I think a good way to test if matchmaking is broken or if their current system is just… Lets say flawed or really “chipped” at best. For one or two days remove all options other than free roam. That was the beauty of the original system allowing you to title your lobby when you created it. Everyone has access.

1 Like

i have yet to play with another person at all. Xbox Series X always “public party finder” games to.

2 Likes

You can set the level difference though. Everyone has it set to 99 instead of the default (4?)

1 Like

Everything written about a “Short time window” is just not true.

I tried this:

• 2 PS4 consoles in same room.
  • 1 PS4 with my own PSN account and 1 PS4 with my friends PSN account logged in both.
  • Both PSN accounts are connected to different battle.net accounts.
  • Both PSN accounts are from the same PSN region.
  • Filtering for character level difference is disabled.
  • Max players set to 8 (>> Funny sidenote: On PS4 if you change the “Max player count” in the options menu from 4 to 8 and save the change, it is saved in the options window but the Party Finder everytime defaults back to 4!)
  • Did many tests with same settings in Party Finder selected on both consoles, e.g. Bosses >> Diablo >> Nightmare or Other >> PVP >> Normal.
  • I even switched the console which was opening the game in between.

Result: 10 out of 10 tries, there was no matching. It did not matter if I waited to join with the second console 5 seconds or 30 seconds. Every time a new game was created.
==> Since playing together via friendslist works for me and my friend, the culprit is the matchmaking system.

8 Likes

PC Lobbies is not the answer and this is not either but its closer to a solution.

Here is the issue as I see it.
One group of players wants something from 20 years ago…
Another group has no idea what is going on…
Last group is using another tool be that by design on their console like xbox LFG or some other tools or apps.

The game would have to fully revamp what exists and it would have to be so great that all platforms desire that tool over anything else.

This means for consoles…voice chat need to be activated, text chat….as well as this new tool being fully integrated to the Bnet and xbox, PlayStation, NS ecosystems intuitively.

Rod Ferg is a joke…oo0o0o0o0o

Console D2R was doomed from that start when they changed it into D3 , cant play D2 like that . Its dead get your money back if you can , come to PC your missing 90% of the game experience on console with no 8 man games, no lobbie, no chat .

See, lobbies work on consoles for other games. Splitgate has them, it takes 10 seconds to type Baal 001 into the text box on console Or Cow 001 etc. Use the right stick to scroll up and down the lobby list. It would be super easy to implement.

The new system is 100% trash and to do consecutive runs of a type its not feasible to use LFG, add friend people, invite them all to start over again in 5 minutes.

4 Likes

What Rod says just does not make sense. You would at least find tons of players in free roam games, but those are lonely places too. And several people already did experiments with perfect matches that still are still put into separate games.

At this time I don’t even care about games being “still relevant” anymore, I just want to meet other players.

2 Likes

Rod = fraud. How you can make multiplayer game like that in 2021 :joy::joy::joy:

twas joyful to actually join another player… but it was tal rasha’s tomb so was back to square one :confused:

I would but my computer wont be able to run it. It can barely push OBS with a browser open.

Tried the same thing with my brother and Got the same results as you did. Two seperate games :stuck_out_tongue:
Mm system can stay. Just and traditionsl lobby and chat Just like on PC. Ppl who preffer Quick mm will use this system. Advanced users will use originsl lobbies.

1 Like

It appears they’re still of the mind they can make that work with adjustments. If they proceed, I suppose people are going to see it in operation and form a view then… albeit with a pre-existing disposition to the issue.

Looks like twitter is a little more “in front of them” compared to the forums. Looks like it just took this guy to catch them at the right time they were able to say something of their direction.

Una basura no poder jugar juntos o comerciar con cualquier persona