Thank you for the current drop rate & loot system

Hello there!

Since it first released back in June 2000, I did a lot of magicfind. A lot. A LOT. With all characters. With Excel sheets to determin the sweet spot between speed, mf and loot. Prior to Enigma and after it.

Thus I fail to fathom the recent requests for an increased drop rate or players /8 in Battle.net. The pure joy of finding my first Stormshield, Harle or Ber - all these events are core memories and will be remembered until I kick the bucket (or Alzheimers is setting in)

Also keep in mind: you can trade freely. You can gift your hard earned items you friends - something I dearly missed in D3 and a lot of the other games of the loot genre.

I am not sure how to put it, but for me Diablo is a game that rewards hard work. If you finally score the item you are looking for or even a better one - that is a climax that no other game can compare to.

So a big “thank you” for this loot system, that is the reason why I keep pushing myself to do another run - in virtual life and - because of the learning curve - in real life as well.

51 Likes

Droprates should not change. They are fine as is.

Players X is not technically a droprate increase, since it already exists in the game; either in offline mode, or by soloing in group games. But, if players X was added for solo online it likely would make sense to rebalance what it does.

3 Likes

I’m also an old timer here and over the last few years, playing with big mods has really opened to my eyes about how much more enjoyable the game is with increased drop rate or players 8.

Before you accuse me of “cheating” or being “lazy”, keep in mind if this change takes place, it affects ALL playerbase, not just one person. So It’s not cheating if it helps everyone.

As someone who spent years and years grinding, the grind burnout is real and we need better drop system AS WELL AS tougher difficulty to make the game more interesting. That is what P8 is about. These new builds will be meaningless and not enjoyable if everyone can 1 hit KO everything in Players 1 like always with ANY build.

18 Likes

I completely disagree, the drop rates are the reason I don;t push myself to do another run, because I know I’m going to get trash just like the past 100 runs I’ve done. D2R needs better drop rates.

16 Likes

I just love to grind for gears in Diablo II. Hard work is a good work, easy work makes things boring in long term. And easy work will make the game die slowly. Drop rates are good as It is and I hope Vicarious Visions / Blizzard is never going to make things easier. Let the game live 20 more years.

6 Likes

I have been told repeatedly that VV has made the game easier with the changes introduced at D2R launch, small patches thereafter (e.g., quickcast), and patch 2.4 that made some builds stronger.

If you want the difficulty of D2, it only exists now in D2. D2R is a live service game.

2 Likes

The low drop rates are what have kept a majority coming back for more in Diablo 2… Hoping it stays that way in D2:R. I don’t want this game turning into another lightning progression game like its successor which dumps a tons of items, resulting in dopamine overload in the short term and eventual numbing in the long run.

14 Likes

Citation needed. Not only is this your speculation, but even if true, how big a number “kept coming back for more”? Personally, I left D2 shortly after first ladder season, found newer more interesting games (namely WoW at the time), and not once came back to D2. It is my opinion that there are likely far more players like me than like you.

I find it likely that most players came back for something like a new ladder season, and that most players left due to abysmal drop rates.

Or in other words, the drop rates cause more players to leave than to return.

This is a slippery slope fallacy.

6 Likes

I can’t cite anything, however the people that I’ve played with over the years have stated as I have that the low drop rates are a big reason they keep coming back for more. Those same people have become bored of Diablo 3 because of the overload of drops. Sorry, I would have recorded the conversations for you had I known that increasing the drops might be a possibility.

Believe whatever you want.

4 Likes

If you can’t cite anything it is errant to state your opinion as fact.

4 Likes

anecdotal evidence based on the type of people you play with (purist playing with other purists…imagine that).

The burn out is real and I would 100% bet that it causes way more people to leave than get them to stay.

Think about it - if an average player found a Griffon, then a Tyrael’s, it would give him motivation to start a javazon, or light sorc, or a build that utilizes Tyrael and have him play longer period of time to try the new items out.

5 Likes

I know you two both want the drop rates increased. You don’t care about the longevity of the game, you only care about getting your high runes and leet gears. More reward for less work. Typical desires of the self-entitled.

8 Likes

No, it is preciously BECAUSE we care about longevity of the game that we want drop rate increased. Please think with your brain.

edit: I have over 10,000 FG in JSP. I can pretty much buy whatever unique or runeword I want. It’s not for my sake alone. It’s for everyone’s.

2 Likes

Already on it… List getting longer. :smiley:

:wave:

This is also false. If we believe that low drop rates cause more players to leave than to hang around, then increasing drop rates is our opinions is good for the longevity of the game.

Self-entitled is stating your opinion as fact and believing it is the only opinion that could be correct.

2 Likes

Are you confusing time intensive and hard wotk?

D2 is not a hard manual labor job nor requires advanced intellect for problem solving.

Many of us play D2R frequently distracted while watching TV.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I am not a native English speaker.

I meant to use „Hard Work“ in the sense that you have to put time and effort into it. From my point of view (and in terms of my native language) this is true for so many things: a masters degree, a Desk Job, a dissertation, a senior management position or a computer game.

All these things required (and still require) loads of time, dedication and sheer will. Back at my fortieth birthday I joked that Diablo II enabled me to finish my legal degree and you know what: the more I think about it the closer to truth that joke comes.

Also: if you play Diablo II casually (while watching TV) that is fine by me. But requesting to get the same rewards as people that put hours, days, weeks in the game is entitlement (though completely possible as well, as loot is random).

Let me Sport a comparison: No one will ever request an aimbot for a shooter for casuals so that they may keep up with the pro and semi pro gamers. And that is basically what the whole discussion about drop rate or /players 8 in online Mode is all about.

Also: Have you got any official sources concerning the playstyle of the majority of the community and their goals? I know I don’t. So if it is closer to your approach or mine will be hard to determine.

4 Likes

The problem is if you can solo efficiently p8 that already means that you are likely a reasonably competent player. Why not let those who can solo p8 have that challenge instead of cake walking though p1?

2 Likes

Which is why I think a difficulty above Hell is needed… The game is known through and through by many… Once properly geared, and even in some cases not properly geared, Hell poses little of a challenge to the ~5-22 year seasoned players.

I think Inferno should make a return to throw a hard knuckleball at us. :smiley:

2 Likes

And how shall the drops there compare to what exists now?