Terror zones are a step in the right direction but there is still some solid fine tuning to do… it needs more player agency

First of all, thanks blizzard for listening to the greatest mind on this forum

Now keep listening to it so your product is optimal

What are the flaws of your terror zone mechanic?

• obviously like all PTR stuff, balancing values isn’t the best, atm it’s too much exp from what I heard

• incentivize even more game creation spam

• people will just login or participate when it’s a meta zone

• lack of extra appeal

• lack of player agency in the mechanic

How to solve those ?

• once you full clear a terror zone, the terror moves to another zone within this same game

• add a special boss to terror zone. The server has a counter of how many of these bosses have been killed and when a certain number is reached, a new terror zone unlocks for the hour. This incentivize people to play less fun terror zone to spawn a potentially better one.

• cubing essence of terror in a zone could probably terrorize it too

Now in terms of appeal, people are talking about density but while I understand the reason behind that and how fun it could be, this would only make melee feel even crappier in comparison since you increase the number of single targets to kill one by one, putting it in a even greater disadvantage than it already is compared to aoe builds

Ofc some density bonus to lacklustre areas would be great, but it shouldn’t be major nor widespread

Instead It should come based on the concept of terror

• breakables in terrorized zones have x% chance to work like an evil Urn

• shrines have double effect in terror zones, the one displayed and a Monsters shrine effect, empowering nearby monsters to become champions or elite

And ultimately, this could be gamified

Making it a leaderboard with the most “terror monsters killed”

And not to mention that these changes allow for a better single player compatibility of the mechanic, being able to generate more terror zones by clearing previous ones

Once again, thank blizzard for doing this but not too much so they don’t think it’s a done deal

lol terror zones are a good idea for the people who whine and are bad at the game… this is the end of diablo as we know it. how sad.

and you actually called yourself the greatest mind on this forum ?? yikes. get off your pedestal… you’ve proven to be nothing but brainless… and if these terror zones have any of your ideas in it, it’s no wonder it’s soooo bad. you just watch this game is headed to dumpster fire territory.

7 Likes

Terror zones are a huge overstep in the right direction. I think anyone would agree with more diversity in the race / journey to 99. But blizzard should balance it so that it takes roughly the same amount of time.

6 Likes

i mean. i wasn’t originally for terror zones either… but… i really dont see why you would say its for people who are “bad at the game”.
it doesn’t make the game any easier it just allows for more diversity leveling than just baal runs which lets be frank, we have been doing for 20 years, they got old after the first 10 or so years.

i’ll certainly play next season to at least see how it turns out.

3 Likes

maybe not… “bad at the game” but like, not willing to actually put in the time to lvl to 99, it’s supposed to be a horrendous grind, MOST people are not supposed to be able to attain it because of the time involved. now i feel like it will be a cakewalk and most casual grinders will get it no problem…

basically giving a participation award to everyone in my mind… everyone happy now? … good… …

i personally hit around lvl 97 every ladder without ever really GRINDING hard, i do casual mf runs that have chaos / baal / nil in them, but i don’t focus it or have a 8p group. i usually play solo 5p and that’s usually good enough to lazily lvl… i could probably do 99 if i tried, but that’s sort of the point, you gotta try to get it, i feel like they are taking this away.

it’s sort of like how when WoW pvp was new and fresh, Grand Marshall was the hardest thing to get, and you literally had to grind ranked pvp for like 20+ hours a day or you wouldn’t make enough points or something. an achievement that was not easy and lots of people didn’t even bother because of how hard it was, video games need things like that for the hardcore players to prove themselves.

again, here’s the participation award for everyone, i hope you’ll all be happy with your easily leveled characters… sigh…

1 Like

It’s easy to have a correct prediction, or suggest a change that comes to fruition or close to your suggestion, when you throw a million and one darts at the board. But let’s not kid ourselves, this is basically a mapping system without specific itemization and portals, on a randomized timer (or whatever logic that they are using) that is similar to many other games but spun to fit into D2R in a better way than many of those x plus or minus y triggers you’ve brought into discussion. It’s a good system that they’ve brought, and I like that it’s not just an endgame system.

With that said, if this comes at the cost of the qol we had been hoping for (which it probably will unless they are holding back on us in ptr), that will be a disappointment, which has already been reflected by the community. Since this change was something you were hoping for, I expect you will have hit hog heaven and play massively in the new system, gracing us with your almighty presence in game that has been missing since before 2.4.

I doubt that they will keep it close to the Baal grind in length. They want to make it more accessible to a greater number of people, especially since it’s a waste of time anyways beyond the first page of the Leaderboards.

Ehh, it was never originally designed that way. 1.10 changed it due to a few reasons; one to make the game harder and to discourage power leveling on cows, and secondly to fit with the theme of ladders and the leaderboards, which were a year+ in length in the beginning. With 4 month ladders (5 for this first season it’s looking like), not many are going to want to burn out season after season doing this, thus this promotes a greater incentive for people to play the ladder, for the ladder leaderboards themselves (thus making needing some item based exclusive, more obsolete for seasons).

Games these days have competition for attention. This isn’t the 90s or early 2000s, where online multiplayer games, especially rpgs, were rarer. Extremely grind heavy games worked then, nowadays not so much since gaming has become more mainstream as a whole. Besides, Diablo will now have 4 major games competing for attention, each with their own seasonal model for players to jump in and out between.

5 Likes

woops this is wrong place

disagree with what you’ve said but i think that’s going to be commonplace for me right now.

i’m definitely on the other side of the fence on these changes.

they should’ve taken the uber zones, and made them a higher level or something, a tiny upscale in difficulty and xp… maybe make uber izzy, andy and duriel give a bit extra xp so people farm them as well for the xp, that would make sense to me. but this… is just… lazy and bad. they aren’t even doing it in good time to reset the ladder when they said they would, all of it is just a slap in the face if you ask me, but it seems like the rest of you like that…

“I doubt that they will keep it close to the Baal grind in length. They want to make it more accessible to a greater number of people, especially since it’s a waste of time anyways beyond the first page of the Leaderboards.”

Well then it really begs the question of whether Diablo 2 Resurrected is worth playing. Because all the change would allow for is a short few day race. It would really come down to do I want to race or not? Because after the race the game would hardly be worth playing because Terror Zones would also equally increase item drop rates. You would log on a couple weeks after ladder launch and people are dropping end game gear in “Free Item Games”. There just wouldn’t be a reason to play other than to race …

1 Like

They never actually promised that ladder would reset in 4 months. They specifically stated that they were aiming for 4 months, but someone pointed out that they said somewhere that the first season might last longer. It also doesn’t take rocket science to figure out that they were going to make more updates into the game, and we would be on a PTR cadence for these major updates.

Trust me, I was pretty ticked when they released the patch notes too. Not that I hated the idea, but hated that it felt like things that were hinted at from months ago, were ignored in favor of this. However, I’ve come more around since I looked into it more. Will probably fire up the PTR to goof around here in a bit once I get up to take a walk and stretch.

From both the Blizzless rumor leak, and from what folks are saying is listed on Playstation, Season 1 will end on September 30, which will still be shorter in length than what the original game mostly runs. If this end date is true, we’re still looking at 5 more weeks before patch goes live. Giving two weeks to finalize the patch, that’s 3 weeks of testing, which leaves credence to there being more of 2.5 we have not seen.

This would actually encourage more people to get involved in the race, and allow for average Joes to compete with Streamers and their follower community which is how the top spots were taken during season 1. It will encourage more people to also play multiplayer to 99, rather than focusing on getting to around 85 and playing the season primarily solo (It won’t change my mind, but I -might- play a little more mp to level in a group with these zones beyond my usual 75 then solo).

People also play seasons for the economy refresh, which will still be a thing.

I’ve been playing this game on and off since its release date. I have never had a level 99 character. The best I ever did was 98 around patch 1.08. I usually lose interest in leveling around 93.

It’s pretty much the only thing I haven’t done in the game. I like it that way. This season I will probably get to 99 with the terror zones, but I will never brag about doing it that way.

2 Likes

This is a form of player agency. You have the power to spawn a new terror zone; just complete the existing.

This is the next best thing if they wont allow a P8 option when creating a solo bnet game. We’ve needed a way to do this without multiboxing. Its unnacceptable that only cheaters get higher soli difficulty.

10 Likes

To me these terror zones feel more like an attempt to let players experience all the areas of the game at end game. They put a lot of work into remaking the entire thing, and end game people only play a few viable spots.
I like the idea of that, but I really do feel its kind of a D3 idea. Its weird in a way for D2, but I think its time to try some new things, and maybe attract new players or give old ones something new to do.
I am not giving up hope on gem/runes stacking or more stash space/more character slots either. Seriously 2/3 my stash is runes/gems

Oh yeah, for the majority of the playerbase, the terror zone are there to diversify the farmable areas

The benefit to the road to 99 is only for a few players that think they are the majority

I also have to agree that it’s very disappointing the this whole patch seem to be dedicated solely to this very easy to make mechanic

Leaving the game devoided of skill rework, stacking, loot filter, unique item balance, crafting rework for once again another season

As mentionned, this topic is about the mechanic properties of the terror zone, not if it’s overturned or not

Oh please stop it with your crass elitist take

Everybody agrees and is in favour of having the road to 99 be arduous

But the clunkiness to how it was previously was not Hard content… it was clunky and tedious

It wasn’t designed to be a path to 99, it was just the leftover

Also the boring meta to 99 you want to defend is just but a small glimpse in the patch line of Diablo 2

From 1.00 to 1.09 it was not like that

Alright this is legit too and im all for these ideas to be implemented, next level of making these terror zones except the monster density part. Im fully on board to increase the density though, i disagree with the disadvantages a melee character may have.

How so?

How do you disagree with a fact?

Melee is limited to 1 target at a time

Aoe has almost unlimited number of targets at a time

More density means more monsters killed per minute

More density on melee doesn’t equate more mobs killed but rather more time taken to clear the same area as aoe builds

Saying you disagree is like saying that a nuke wouldn’t cause more causalities in Mexico City rather than Bruxelles

Not to mention the fact that increasing monsters level like they did in terror zones make melee less likely to hit because mlvl is a factor of hit calculation

1 Like

Lol Jedi you have a talent for picking gifs, you always pick ones that make me laugh under the certain context :rofl:

1 Like

he likes to hear himself talk. :rofl:
Too bad he is the only one

4 Likes

i think the p8 hegemony will still be a thing with TZs when it comes to xp

imo nothing will really change on solo vs multi