Swear filter and busted chat

I was surprised when I saw Trade chat in my game. People were chatting, but it broke after a while.

Well it might exist in say D3, but there its optional, blizzard is now changing graphics because they disagree and forcing chat filters even in say private chat with my friends.
Pretty hypocritical if you ask me, taking a moral high ground while we all now what happens within the company.

1 Like

You can’t just say you understand something and then completely not understand it.

I honestly think the inability to turn it off is an oversight, not intentional. What you say in your private games is normally not messed with. Blizz does not go looking for violations and only goes off reports. So friends are not usually going to report you.

Sure, it is. It has been hypocritical for years. Still, treating strangers well in game is something we can do even if others do bad things elsewhere.

Hopefully you get the option to turn off the filter. Just remember that does not mean people can’t be reported and actioned. This whole thing has accidentally served as a good heads up for folks new to modern Blizz reporting and account actions. At least they know before they can get into hot water.

[quote=“MissCheetah-1661, post:4, topic:6583, full:true”]
Around 2004. [/quote]

Untrue. The “mature language filter” in original D2 and WoW were always optional/toggleable.

This degree of censorship that one can’t opt out of is new, and relatively unprecedented as far as Actiblizz goes.

2 Likes

I hope you’re right about this, but I’m not optimistic.
It should be very quick and easy to patch in a toggle option. Blizz should be working on this asap, as it’s the least they could do.

I think issues with a chat filter will probably be a lower priority than getting the servers stable, making sure our data is saved for our chars, preventing crashes and rollbacks, unlocking the unplayable chars.

Then I think once they get the servers settled they will focus on tech issues that are preventing people from even starting the game client.

Once that is done, they might get to the chat filters and other small things that don’t actually stop us from playing.

I agree, it’s supposed to be a Remaster yet they removed the ability to use profanity.

The last time I checked this was an adult game, who do they think their demographic is? Everyone I meet on here is an adult, if people are sensitive they can leave the profanity filter on and have it scramble other people’s words.

But to remove the ability to use profanity altogether regardless if you disable the profanity filter is ridiculous and absurd.

You can bypass the profanity filter anyways so what the hell is the point? Sh.it

Adults that spent $40 of their own money can’t use potty language because Blizzard thinks everyone playing their games is a child even the ones made for adults.

2 Likes

The game is rated based on content created by the Devs that can be reviewed. It is rated M.

Player created content is not rated because it is generated in real time. That player created content (names and chat) have to follow the Policies the game company sets forth. Blizzard chat policies are fairly family friendly.

In this case, all Blizzard games fall under the same policy - and so does the forums. Blizzard does not allow profanity, or even masked profanity, among other things. This has been the case for at least 17 years - although enforcement was not really done on the old Bnet for D2 that I know of.

You can find the Code of Conduct you agreed to here

and the forum Code of Conduct here

If you no longer agree to the rules, your only option would be to stop using Blizzard games and services.

Some word combonations are censored needlessly however, as we speak, you can make profain game names in the lobby! The chat censor is broken.

I am aware of that. The filter is poor quality and removes words, or parts of words, that are not actually bad.

The concept of following the rules though is consistent across Blizz games. The reporting tool for that is a right click report that captures the Btag, chat channel, and chat logs. It can be used for any chat infraction - especially spam! Everyone hates spam.

What I have not tested lately, is if they fixed the right click report to mute the spammer after you report so you don’t see it anymore. It works that way in other Blizz games but did not in D2R. Not sure if they fixed it or not.

“In this case, all Blizzard games fall under the same policy - and so does the forums. Blizzard does not allow profanity, or even masked profanity, among other things. This has been the case for at least 17 years”

False, profanity was allowed on Diablo 2 and there was no censorship. I’ve played it off and on for nearly 20 years and no there has NEVER been a profanity filter.

I never agreed to not use profanity as it isn’t in the “In-Game Code of Conduct” posting you sent.

I guarantee I can find profane or obscene names in the game like “Flayer” meaning to slice or carve skin or hide from the body of an animal or human, if that isn’t obscene I don’t know what is, yet that is perfectly fine but somehow saying “****” is going too far?

It is rated M, let me get the definition for you, " Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content, and/or strong language."

Strong language huh? Apparently not in this game, they should lower the rating to Teen in this case since strong language is not allowed thus making it NOT A MATURE GAME.

As there are Teen rated games with blood and death, without the strong language, Diablo 2 Resurrected should be appropriately rated Teen.

" TEEN

Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language."

2 Likes

For one, I would assume that since the legacy Diablo 2 works on old Battle Net, which lacks many of the modern refinements of newer systems, that it probably remains unchecked in regards to content monitoring. And since Blizzard hadn’t really updated the game outside of modern Windows usage since 2010, it probably wasn’t worth the trouble to go in and code restrictions to it.

Secondly, swearing like a sailor does not make you any more or less of a hardcore gamer or person. Nor does it make you any more mature; but may make you sound and appear immature.

In the grand scheme of things, game ratings are more about the content and substance of the game itself; not the uncontrollable parts of it such as human interaction and speech to others. Thus, Blizzard makes it’s own code of conduct in order to promote a more healthy, interactive playerbase that is less toxic (though since open Mics became a thing, not much you can do about that). Expand your vocabulary; profanity doesn’t make you sound more mature, edgy or cool. In most cases, it just makes you sound like a toxic idiot.

1 Like

Yeah, when it comes to modern games I usually just keep being me until they ban me.

Blizzard acts like kids plays these old games. Blizzard doesn’t attract new gamers to begin with. Everyone I know on their games is 25-50.

Censorship is some BS.

2 Likes

They did nothing on the old D2 servers, correct. They still don’t. It was not so much that it was allowed, but they did not enforce it. There are no reporting mechanisms or any moderation there. It is just plain too old.

You have agreed now though by accepting the EULA to install the Bnet app to play D2R and to use the forums. If you are here, you agreed to the EULA and Code of Conduct, for the game and forums. That means you agreed not to use profanity or masked profanity in public channels.

The GAME content made by Devs is rated by the ESRB. That content is static and can be reviewed and rated. Note, D2 and D2R are not rated M for Strong Language. They are rated for Blood, Gore, and Violence. D2R for suggestive themes. Image taken from the D2R main website.

ESRB

Blood and Gore

Violence

Suggestive Themes

PLAYER interactions are not rated. They fall under the rules of the game company - and in the case of Blizzard are very family friendly.

Here is the EULA you agreed to Blizzard End User License Agreement - Legal – Blizzard Entertainment

Here is the in-game Code of Conduct you agreed to for D2R

Here is the forum Code of Conduct you agreed to - which includes not using even masked profanity.

And here is the Refund Policy if you were to not accept the terms and had not played more than 2 hours on a recent purchase.

1 Like

Your argument is invalid, “Profanity” is not even listed in their Code of Conduct.

Not to mention “The filter - is usually optional for parents.” again this game is rated M for 17+ which means parents wanting to filter curse words shouldn’t even be part of the consideration since anyone under the age of 17 wouldn’t be able to purchase this game in the first place which is why it has an age verification just to enter the website or buy the game.

To say that profanity or curse words should be uncensored doesn’t equate to harassing other people or violating rules, that is a cop out, curse words and profanity ARE NOT DEFINED in their Code of Conduct, again this is why they have a Mature Language Filter, use it if you don’t like curse words but this is an ADULT GAME after all.

Your flawed understanding of the difference between the rating of a game for Developer content, and the rules players have to follow does not make your argument tenable.

You are ignoring all the actual documentation while stating your personal opinion.

The game rating, as you have been shown many times, has no bearing on the rules of conduct we players have to follow.

Nice use of the straw-man fallacy I can tell you’re well versed.

You still have yet to define anywhere “Curse Words” are disallowed in Blizzard’s In-Game Code of Conduct.

I already saw your point and it’s invalid, the content of the game is how it receives a rating by ESRB and online interactions are ALWAYS unrated regardless.

These facts don’t nullify whatsoever the fact that curse words are UNDEFINED in their Code of Conduct not to mention the fact that they have a “Mature Language Filter” which DOES imply curse words ARE ALLOWED and can be censored by turning the filter on.

What part of this don’t you understand?

Note: The filter does not excuse the language used. The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it. Our policies prohibit the use of both clear and masked inappropriate language.

You do not have permission to use inappropriate language (including most profanities) with or with out the filter.

Your argument again is invalid.

“Does not excuse the language used” does NOT MEAN that it does not allow curse words, that is what the Mature Language Filter is for.

Again “The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it.” this is not relevant to this game whatsoever, this game is rated ADULTS ONLY 17+ Mature Content.

Indeed the permission is implied to use curse words given the fact that there IS a mature language filter which can be enabled or disabled otherwise they would simply outright censor all curse words as they have in Diablo 2 Resurrected.