Seasons is not good end game

I Irony of this statement is that you are imposing your view of what I mean lol. I am not imposing on anybody, I am simply drawing attention to an obvious flaw in the original Op’s Argument.

Probably not, but some people just don’t prefer to play the season gambit, just the same that some people don’t prefer to play the expansion gambit in mmos. There are many people who will rather deliberately languish in lower level zones, never pass certain points of the game, and deliberately refuse to do new content. Much the same way People refuse to play ladder or seasons.

There is one of those impositions you love so much.

I am drawing an obvious parallel between the way seasons work and the way MMO’s Do Expansions and Level caps. This exists regardless of my experiences.

The entire reason I pointed it out is because the original author essentially held up WoW as some sort of example of what Seasons should really be. When In essence at their core WoW has the same thing going on as ladder seasons. There are of course Subtle differences, I would never say otherwise. But you can’t say one is bad and not the other when they are essentially the same.

That almost never happens, because you can always get better drops…it’s all RNG w/ magic find or 7/8 group for runes.

There is no punishment for playing NS.

NS is easier so you don’t need the better gear to be a winner in NS.

New people to D2R don’t get it because you have to spend years playing this to finally get that “aha” moment.

It really helps to be in a clan and farm and learn together.

D2R was released at a time in the world where this type of game has a very small group of player types that will and do love it.

Don’t feel bad if you feel left out or have a hard time getting this game and feel.
Don’t be angry.

I wish I could share with you just one week of the great time I had in the ol’ days of D2.

You dont do 15 second WoW runes, its a whole different game. Diablo 2 puts the less in soulless, and thats how its gonna be.

Diablo 4 could have soul, but every last thread ive read seems to indicate that any soul is purchased through lootboxes and season passes. So dont count on it.

im sure wasnt doing the same as you did

thats the problem, OPs argument has no flaw bc it comes from the sentimental attachment perspective
OP cant be “wrong” when it comes to how he feels about the game and i personally tend to agree with him
There is no sense of continuity in d2 ladders when compared to NL and WoW
Sure this is the main point of ladders

the only thing you are doing is distorting the comparison OP made between wow and the d2r

He said

his comparison is how wow allows him to continue working on the same chars he always had and still be able to explore new content, something that for him is not possible in d2r bc of ladders

if they were, there was no point in having ladders in d2r

Here is the problem with what you are saying, and even the stuff beyond what you wrote here. Expansions are not a complete reset. Sure, your character is not up to snuff to tackle the new content, but all of the content you had been doing, is still not invalidated. You still have all of the achievements your character had earned, whether that be prestige from clearing high level content, or fancy mounts and/or cosmetics. You are also not starting from the beginning with a regular attack and low skills and have to hack, slash, spellcast and chug your way back to a suitable rotation again.

A Ladder reset sets you back to the beginning, completely. It’s the ENTIRE progression process over again, where an expansion is just continuing to tackle new content that progresses you beyond the original cap. I don’t have WoW experience or much of any other MMO except for Final Fantasy 14, but it is structured fairly similar to WoW to my understanding. One of the things I hated about FF14, is that they put the interesting dungeon style content in it’s own side thing, which involves a fresh level up process from 1 again, thus I never did them. I always felt it was silly to force a level capped player to re-level to progress through a dungeon for a weapon that will have an equal item level a patch or two down the line within the main content (in FF14s case, they usually put an item to upgrade the current tier in game currency items to the former high end raid level in the Alliance Raids).

I got bored of that constant gear treadmill, in a process that has become fairly routine and predictable in endgame, hence why I only play FF14 for the base of a new expansion (the last two had EXCELLENT story lines, with the current one having been one of the best stories at launch), then in the middle of the expansion, then a few months before release of new expansion while the game is in it’s final patch pre-expansion.

With all of that said, Seasons are a good idea, if done in a way that doesn’t invalidate characters you have already worked on. In D2 before, too much was gated behind the ladder, hence making playing non ladder feel like a demo of the full game. Characters were too disposable if you didn’t pvp. D2R has a pretty good compromise currently, we’ll see how it plays out though in the future. D3 currently has an interesting system, where the seasons are primarily a gameplay gimmick. I’m hoping D4 doesn’t invalidate motivation to load of “Eternal Realm” characters to continue building them because they throw too much into Seasons, especially with the idea of constantly shifting the meta if they are not contained to Seasons.

1 Like

Seasons are not intended to be a end game…seasons are intended to experience a fresh start

How do you know, stuff after seson ends, will not be available in non-seson?

You know why MOBA is more successful than ARPG? Because every game, every char starts from scratch: no XP, same starting gold, no items, only 1 skills. The only things that stay with you are knowledge, experience and mechanical skill.

Seasons are probably the best invention of gaming industry. Period.

Funny you play wow for 11 years but every expansion nullifies any character power/gear you spent 4 months obtaining. At least in D2R that Perfect CoA/Shako or enigma, infinity, etc actually is end game and has value for years/forever.

it would be so great for d2r if it were possible to transfer the xp from one char to another char of the same class and of the same realm, through the sacrifice of one of them, of course with all the penalties xp system has provided

this only for chars that already cleared ancients ofc

Renewable roster of daily quests that gives you steady progress for completing. Many of us are no longer in high school and don’t have thousands of hours to burn, I think a guaranteed reward even if it’s small will be good for many of us that only have a an hour or 2 to play every day.

Maybe proper arenas with rankings so you actually have an outlet for the gg builds you create. Farming gear in order to farm more gear so you can be the best farmer isn’t exactly the most exciting endgame.

Seson is not endgame, it’s your ladder reset.