Seasons is not good end game

Am I alone on this? Like I get the concept of eventually you run out of items to farm… Thats when you play an alt. To me I feel no connection with my characters since they are all temporary they only live for 3-4 months and they are done. Theres no incentive to play non season because we put new items and rewards for seasons so you are punished for not playing season.

Like in world of warcraft my characters have a story, history, 11 of them have been around for 18 years. I would have no connection with my wow characters or even my account if all my transmogs all my progress all my experiences get wiped 4+ times a year.

Diablo3 especially unlocking the same transmogs and crafting patterns EVERY season for what nearly 30 seasons now? I get there is a VERY VERY small amount of players who care about the leader board race… Ok good for them? But they are the extreme minority IMO.

Diablo4 seems like its going to be a much more massive world and having to explore it all over again every 4 months doesnt sound interesting. If anything focusing on 1 class per season so it doesnt get stale as quick but then once ive done every class then what? quit because the end game is just wiping my progress every 3 months?

2 Likes

I made a post suggesting they add a 4th difficulty “inferno” for group team-play thats super hard.

I agree that season’s isn’t the optimal end-game, but I can’t imagine the dev. team adding TOO Much more original content.

Don’t need a 4th difficulty

Just activities

I agree that “activities” could work. Sadly, that proposal requires A LOT more regular development time than a 4th difficulty.

Is there an alternative proposal that would only require 20+ hours of development time (once) that would satisfy your needs for endgame content? IF so what would it be?

Playercount mechanic already exists
Don’t need much dev time beyond that lol

adding new difficulty will make people ask for more buffs, which will lead people to ask for another difficulty, which will lead to… you get the point. That’s not a solution.
If they just nerf everything it will have the same effect

I mean… you just tell them “we’re not balancing for this difficulty - play with friends if you want to complete it”. Make farming hell optimal for p1 for all classes. Higher difficulty would be an actual group challenge (as I envision it).

I’m not married to my suggestion - I’m open to others. But I’d like some new PvM challenges that are SIMPLE enough for the dev team (probably 1 developer) to impliment.

1 Like

The way I see it, they should increase the map size and randomization to make it impossible to “read” maps in hell and less linear approach to finishing the difficulty or finding a specific mob to farm. This alone will make the game feel deeper, allowing for “new” level every time you enter it.

Your progress does get wiped in World Of Warcraft every single expansion.

All of your equipment becomes worthless, you character can’t complete any new content, and you are forced to grind out a new set of gear and levels.

How many exspansion and level cap increases has WoW had at this point? 8 with a ninth on the way? And how many level cap increases has there been? And how many times has all your equipment in wow been completely invalidated by a new raid?

Let’s not split hairs here and say that WoW doesn’t have seasons they just take a different form.

I have played probably ever single MMO to date and seasons are a far better alternative imo.

2 Likes

the “end game” is perfecting your ladder start & your get rich quick strategy.
this is fine, this keeps me coming back every season.
so nerfs and buffs each season keeps it interesting, and some new content would be nice, but the end game is fine as is.

also if you “beat” the end game on SC, try it on HC and see what a world of difference that makes to your ladder start & get rich quick scheme.

Thats not a fair comparison

seasons are a feature of its own

wow updates/expansions can only be compared to d2 updates and its only expansion

All d2 updates might do is bring an already existing item into the limelight. Not completely invalidate everything a character has on.

Seasons may be a deliberately designed thing but MMO exspansions/lvl cap increases have been doing essentially the same for decades across many titles.

The Real Difference between Seasons, and MMO Expansions/LvL Cap increases is that Seasons are arguably more fair to the new player.

Anyone can pick up an play at the start of a season and be on somewhat equal footing at least logistically if not experience wise.

In an MMO despite an Expansion essentially resetting everyone’s equipment and forcing everyone to level again a newer player would still be forced to jump through the same hoops to reach the previous start point for an established player.

Which is why MMO’s sought to close that gap by selling free lvl cap increases to players to the lvl required for the expansions. Effectively creating the same exact situation as a Season Start.

i completely desagree

while wow expansions and updates have brought power creep no char is in a different realm

being able to continue playing the same char to access new content is exactly the opposite of what a ladder does in d2 and thats OP main point

he wants to keep working on his char bc he is emotianally attached to it, something you can do in wow and cant in d2r

thats the same reason i dont play ladder

Wrong, when that expansion hits your character is like a new born baby, and anyone can purchase a character the same lvl and with the gear you are starting with.

that anyone can buy

No It’s not really, the Expansion sets a start point, the season sets a start point. To access the start point in D2 you make a new character, to access the start point in an mmo you either A have a preexisting character at the start point or buy one.

Both characters, in both games have a set start point and both characters in both games have to gear themselves up and lvl to complete the content.

That is basically the only thing I would say is a worthy argument. But let’s be clear He was emotionally attached to the raid gear he grinded his butt off for too, and that is gone as well. He was the most powerful person in the game until the patch and now he’s just the same as what someone can purchase from the shop.

Your missing out, nothing like leveling up with fresh characters with your friends.

1 Like

I would say that PvP is endgame of D2.

completely bad analogy
your char is like an adult that now has more things to chase after

and has always been like this?

same above

thats the whole argument OP has made

no, he is emotianally attached to the proccess he had aquiring it and using it

youre turning this into something that is just about gear and xp when its really about the experiences a player had while working on that char

i have my share of group play with friends in other games that are better at it
d2r is not suitable for that

lol yeah let’s go with your analogy shall we.

You are an adult with a Car, a House, and A Job

The Expansion hits, and your car isn’t fast enough to do any content with so you need to buy a new one, your house isn’t large enough for the new relics, and you get fired from your job.

You are a now an adult who has nothing of value in the new world so you have to replace everything with new items. New Car, New House, New Job. In otherwords you start from scratch.

No the ability to purchase characters started about 10 or so years ago maybe 12.

they still exist separate of the character

Honestly sounds like your opinion makes you unsuitable to this conversation. Sounds to me like you don’t have a firm grasp of the topic. That’s not meant to be an insult, but if you don’t play ladder seasons how can you have a reliable conversation about the comparison between an MMO Expansion and a Ladder Season? I don’t think you can To Be Honest.

I have played both MMO’s and Ladders, and Seasons in dozens of different games. So When I talk about them basically being identical I am pulling from my experience.

i dont hink i have to tell you, but thats not how adult life works
you can still do the old content that you havent done
something a new char cant without a booster

you can chose no to buy it

what kind of work experiences did you had in your life?

gosh, i still have my first ist in d2r, its in a 6isted PB
but sure, your definition of value is what counts

sounds like your mood is to impose your world view over others, or else they are unsuitable

and you know everything that is to know, including others personal preferences

Which is effectively the same thing that happens at the end of a season when your Ladder Character goes to non ladder. You have chosen not to participate in the ladder, you keep your character and you can still play with him, and use him to do content with.

no I just like to have conversations with people that aren’t guessing at stuff. If I was having a conversation about the flavor of alcohol with a person who had never even taken a sip of the stuff it would be a rather fruitless conversation.

You are basically saying you don’t participate in ladder or seasons, and because of that your view on the entire topic is like the person above you don’t really know.

only what you told me.

just an imposition

am i the only one who has played ladders and ladders in LoD and has ignored it in d2r?
you assume too much

everyone here is talking about their respective experiences, but you are the only one saying that yours is valid and that of others are not