Season 5 - Calling for Well Deserved Nerfs

spirit changing to 1-2 is LOL. That does not change anything at all.
It is so cheap, you just redo it…!

Grief might be completely OP, but the main issue is, that all the other weapons are SO bad. Melee already struggle…why nerf them?

3 Likes

Developers said cold mastery is at 100% because it does not make it more powerful than 1/5 conviction and 1/5 lower resistance. I don’t see how you all know more than the Developers considering they are the ones looking at all the numbers. honestly and I say this for fun just to make all the bad kids rage they should have only made one sunder charm that only broke cold immunities and made the rest of you suffer with infinity and lower res haha!

2 Likes

LR/convic nerf was a bad move
it harmed more non-cold sorce builds than cold sorce
what it did to cold sorce? just made her invest more points into CM
what it did to non cold sorce elemental builds? completely nerfed their dmg potential

People are crazy if they think it would “kill” cold sorc to make them deal with the 1/5th penalty on cold immunes. It’s been one of the most popular builds since forever… and that was vs full on immunes.

Cold would still only have to deal with around 50-60% resists(less with facets)… it would still kill those just fine but allow for there to actually be a noticeable difference between enemy types… and the give cold facets a bit of power back.

Still the best solution would just be to remove the stupid charms.

2 Likes

That’s fine by me, but I’d like Cold Mastery to pierce immunities the way Conviction and Lesser Resist do. That would make the skills even, since the reason those other skills have the 1/5th penalty is because they pierce immunities.

1 Like

That was my original thought to reduce Spirit to +1 to all skills, and is the best solution. Spirit needs a hefty nerf as it is so cheap and outclasses other items. Making it a range of +1-2 only leads to more frustration, which is not the goal. The goal is a well deserved nerf. Updated OP.

Keeping Grief in the broken state to keep melee semi-viable is a bandaid solution. The best approach to fix melee is to nerf Grief, and then follow up with implementing a massive patch to improve itemization, with special focus on buffing old school uniques. See thread below.

Itemization Improvements

Sounds like a good idea to me, consistent mechanics. If Cold Mastery is nerfed to 1/5 penalty, then the developers should consider adding ability to pierce immunities the way Conviction and Lesser Resist does.

Just trying to have a healthy discussion with the community. No need for vitriol. Good day.

3 Likes

Nerfs are never the answer… especially massive and sweeping nerfs like that. It’s like you’ve never played a video game before.

1 Like

Melee is already struggling. Nerfing Grief will not help that. This has been discussed countless times.

2 Likes

I would agree with you if Grief was nerfed in a vacuum. However, melee characters would be strong if we implemented the sweeping changes outlined in the thread below. This is what I’m proposing. I’m confident the issue with melee struggling would evaporate and be a non-issue.

Itemization Improvements

Game is totally unbalanced in many ways. Is Nerf the Answer? Not.

Approximately half of the runewords in the game are totally crap. But what draws attention are the high cost-benefit runewords. Better example than runewords 1.11 3 of them are good and 4 are not, with completely crazy costs. There is only one runeword for wand and the necromancer has 3 builds. Exhausting the examples will only increase the wall of text.

Uniques and Sets need reforms, set trangs is the first one that screams for not having the player’s break points equal to a mob.

Cost ratios between 2-handed caster items have to be compared with spirit sword and shield. Easy solution is to nerf the spirit, the correct solution is to rebalance everything else including the unique ones.

Of the 7 classes in the game, 3 of them simply have no movement ability, and the barbarian’s jumping ability helps in some circumstantial maps. Only mechanics of teleport charges on items

Physical part of the game needs balance regarding caster, weapon damage upgrade, physical builds are completely lower than kill speed.

Crafting system just doesn’t work. Only a few recipes have some cost benefit to try to give random, the tables of the magic prefix and sulfix of the game are with the requirement places totally out of accordance with the classic site, generating things like rlvl 95 amulets, people locking characters in the 76 to make gloves and etc. I repeat this correction was already offered by me to the developers, feel free to contact me by whatsapp or email. And there will be no incentive for this mechanic without changing the rares table, which is the heart of the game. Showing the ilvl of items is just another little thing to fix at this point

The new mechanic of sunders just needs balancing and correction, I don’t know if I like it, but considering that there is a lot to be improved, having created it with a huge to-do list was not a good idea.

1 Like

No.
Nerfs are never the answer. (I did not bother reading any of them)

If people enjoyed playing weaker things there would be plenty of choices already being made and lots of diversity: people would already be playing weaker things too.

Nerfs only take away choices. If you want more diversity: buff the things nobody chooses.

If you think this makes the game “too easy” ask yourself: were you already avoiding all of the “things that need nerfing” and only playing the “weak” things? If so you enjoy a more difficult, or slower game. Why force that on others?

Either you are not honest with yourself and the choices you have already been making, or perhaps you are more worried about what other people are playing.

Don’t make other people’s choices for them.

I say boost everything weak up… and if necessary add some harder gameplay:

Ladders are already using “faster monster AI” and monsters have what, 25% more life? I don’t remember the details.

An even more beefed-up mode could be made (optional and separate) for people who like a challenge, or like being forced to play in organized parties, etc.

1 Like

Go to bed my friend, all people want is no bots dupes and favors to streams stop making up the game.

4 Likes

As usual, I agree with most of your points.

I don’t agree with nerfing Grief. There is a lack of diversity, but it’s not because Grief is overpowered. I support increasing the base weapon damage of exceptional and elite weapons, which would assist melee characters all the way through, while also increasing diversity at the top end.

When it comes to Spirit, I would still want it to exist as is, but perhaps with a higher cost. Maybe they could nerf spirit a little for the earlier game, and they introduce a new runeword with higher cost to match what spirit is now - or something equivalent.

2 Likes

Would be pointless, with most cold immunes having 150+ resistances making cold mastery piercing immunes would be almost worthless. Also the reason you could not break them with conviction/lower resist before.

The way now that you can play the game in cold with basically just skills and then can progress to other elements with gear as it is now is already nice.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, Cold Sorceress is in a sweet spot right now and is definitely not OP at all.

1 Like

I think even more nerf’s are needed, but I agree on all these.

Problem is more it’s a great high level runeword aswell which shows it’s to strong at low level.
However maybe it could become a compromise, make it +1 to skills however remove the Amn as needed component (Amn is mostly useless as effect), not with the intend to save yourself an Amn rune, but this would make the runeword 3s instead of 4s, meaning it would be a lot easier to actually get into a weapon before running somewhere in Nightmare and everyone (not only Paladin) could actually use it in a shield before running in Hell.
Would still easily be the best shield before endgame for most builds and weapon would be good for a pretty long part of the game aswell (the rest of the stats on Spirit are also pretty good).

1 Like

Agree 100%. Hope the developers implement this change. This would be the single best move, along with revamping uniques.

I still think Cold Mastery should follow the same formula as any other skill that adds a penalty vs. Sundered Monsters for consistent game mechanics. Cold Mastery gives too much bang for the buck with no additional gear requirements.

However, I agree the Cold Sorceress is in a good spot and shouldn’t change. I wonder if there is a good compromise that would be acceptable. For instance, nerfing CM to add 1/5 penalty, but then add a Flickering Flame-equivalent RW that offers -% to Enemy Cold Resist to make up the difference. Lastly, this gives cold facets a bit of their power back.

1 Like

It’s cute that you think this is what makes spirit the powerhouse it is…

Yes, because there is such a delta between the strength requirements of a Sacred Targe/Gilded Shield and a Dusk Shroud/Mage Plate :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t agree with everything, OP. Blessed hammers could be tuned down, but if you remove the entire bonus from concentration, it will simply fall bellow all elemental builds because you can’t scale it in any way meaningfully (no magic resistance reduction, no magic % damage). Maybe add more magic immune monsters? Or reduce the scaling slightly.

If cold mastery was nerfed to 1/5 penalty, it would effectively give you much much less power than what any other mastery grants if you were to compare them on an endgame basis. For example, with tal rasha, 3 facets and infinity, you can have -47% resistance to an element. That’s more than what cold mastery would provide. You’d get something like double damage from it at best, while other two elements would still get their mastery bonus which scales to 300%+.

If you nerf grief, you throw physical melee characters in the stone age. They simply don’t have other options. My suggestion is to nerf grief (I don’t care how you do it), but at the same time base damage of ALL melee weapons should be increased by something like 50% or more.

Spirit is fine. We just need more options.

1 Like

Just make sure the “follow up” is in the same patch so we don’t have an entire season of melee even worse (nerfed Grief) but none of the compensatory buffs.

2 Likes