Season 4 - Time For Melee To Shine

To be honest, I don’t think that Poison Explosion is salvable if the Corpse Explosion is to remain unchanged. The problem lies within the latter’s scaling. Theoretically even a naked and bug rushed level 6 necro could do a Hell cowrun, if just 2 corpses were initially available (and with enough FCR and infinite mana source). At later levels tiny explosion killing every monster in 1-2 shots (ignoring resistances) becomes a screenwide explosion. In order to make necros prefer to use Poison Explosion, it’d need to be at least as destructive as CE. Its flat damage would need to be roughly as much as Hell monsters’ HP. And that’s ignoring the poison being DoT rather than an instant kill by CE.
It would probably be better to change the PE mechanics that it doesn’t consume a corpse not to compete over that resource with CE (although it could require a corpse for targeting) or revamp it completely.

1 Like

Agreed.

I think having Poison Explosion synergy for Poison Dagger automatically pop a PE upon kill would be a great way to improve viability of daggermancer… now blademancer (w/ proposed change to Poison Dagger mentioned above).

Give whirlwind a synergy on something like Iron skin where it gets 10% attack rating per point, and every 5 points it increases the number of targets whirlwind hit checks on its attack frames by 1.

Would make having a range 4 weapon meaningful because you can actually hit multiple targets within your ww range and not just one random target.

3 Likes

You must be hacking My neural network… Ive been screaming for cleave just like that

Cleave : requires holding a wep with BOTH hands. Hits 3 or x targets infront of the barb . Delete that disgrace named stun .

2h weapon oriented skill : check
Deletion of a joke skill and … The very very needed MELEE AOE límited to weapons Range , aOE in a Niche skill . Everyone wins .

3 Likes

The two ideas I’ve been playing around with for Cleave are:

1. Attack in a y degree sweep in front of you, hitting x targets. Y would be something around maybe 45°? X would increase with more points in the skill. Maybe start at 2 or 3 and end up 6-10 at lvl 20?

2. Attack in a y degree sweep in front of you, hitting all targets. Y would start off smaller (maybe 15°?) and more points in the skill would raise it (maybe max of 75-90°?).

All numbers could be fine-tuned.

I think the idea of 2 is cooler and makes more sense that you’d hit all the monsters as you sweep through, but may be harder to balance tune.

I think making it 2H is a neat idea to give more of a reason to go 2H. If it straight up replaces Stun then it might be odd to be a pre-req for Conc, Zerk, and WW like Stun is, if you intended to 1h/shield or dual wield you’d be forced to get a skill that you can’t even use, but right now you’re forced to get Stun which isn’t really worth using, so maybe it’s no worse?

2 Likes

What about a new two-way synergy for Leap Attack and Whirlwind? The Whirlwind synergy would increase the radius of Leap Attack (which is 4.6 yards) and Leap Attack would provide additional targets to Whirlwind as shown below:

Leap Attack

• Leap synergy: +10% damage per level
  • Whirlwind synergy: +0.20 yards per level

Whirlwind

• Leap Attack synergy: +1 target every 10 levels (max. 2 additional targets)

a good WW patch would be nice. i miss spinning my life away on a 2handed barb

spinning along river of flame on my lance/iceblink barb is one of my best classic d2 souvenirs heh. (lances came in late they were the first exceptional item to enter the game)

2 Likes

Ww hitting 5 aditional targets would make it the absolute Omega end skill for all barbs.

Ww is currently superior to frenzy and zerk by a reasonable margin … actual aOE ww would put too much space between em …

Just straight up delet stun and add 2h cleave :rofl:.

1 Like

Agreed, got carried away. Updated above post for LA synergy adding +1 target every 10 levels (max. 2 additional targets) for WW. I also think it would be nice if WW synergy increased the radius of LA.

I really like the idea of a dedicated skill for 2H-weapons like Cleave and replacing the useless Stun skill is the best candidate for deletion.

This really is an elegant solution that solves three glaring problems:

• Replaces useless Stun
  • Gives Barb access to an AoE-skill
  • Gives Barb a skill dedicated to 2H-weapons
3 Likes

Look, I don’t disagree with deep diving the entire deal and coming upo with these detailed lists…
but…
Lets start with something so simple, the Dev’s have already implemented it and pushed it into game mode already.
Give melee/physical damage boost we had over the holidays… 50% increase… it made no difference/threat to the meta.
We need to start small and simple if we are to ever get anywhere.

1 Like

I think the game would be healthier by increasing base damage of weapons and balance from there. Melee will also always be relatively weak without some addition of splash/aoe damage.

2 Likes

Since the devs nerfed the Shockwave Druid into oblivion, I think they could atleast do the following in Patch 2.7:

• Shockwave - increase Maul synergy from +10% to +15% per level and physical damage now benefits from Might, Fanaticism, etc.

Agreed. I have another thread dedicated to improving itemization, including buffing base weapon damage. But, I would still like to see underperforming melee skills get some improvement as well.

for barb no
the increased stamina skill needs a + % to cb ds ow or cs thats it end of story pick one idc

Mostly I am ok with suggestions.

I like all your druid suggestions like Hunger always hit, Shockwave influenced by auras or Spirit of barbs -% phys res is nice.

For barbarian:

• Increased speed could really give +% attack speed bonus. I would probably let it be 3% lvl 1, 2% lvl 2, 2% lvl 3, … , 1% lvl 5 and so on. Outside WW build no other build has spare points to invest many, so first few points should be significant. Also a change to run/walk speed per point could be at minimum +2% not 1% per point later.

• Increased Stamina - i think Stamina name can stay and let them add flat +10-15 attack rating bonus per level. As goes by logic: you got less stamina you are less focused and less likely to hit targets. FHR is useless to get on skill, gear gets you 20+FHR from early to endgame items as well.

• Taunt in area is interesting idea, far more useful than single target, cos all enemies try to kill you anyway. This way it could be a beneficial synergy to Frenzy if it stayed. At least for not-endgame Frenzy barb that want Decrep procs instead Taunt effect.

• Bash - this skill is outdated simply, has no real use. No melee barb needs to knockback a monster. This skill should be changed completely and replaced. Or give it a gimmick Always hit mechanic like Smite for bosses. But thats not that good solution.

• Concentrate sounds good

• Frenzy sounds good altho it needs more and more damage. Or att speed. If it could break attack speed limits to 5,5 6 6,5 7 attacks/second it would be more fun and interesting than simply giving more damage.

Berserk % magic dmg synergies work like Convert physical to magic damage. At first I tought 90% magic and 10% physical dmg ratio on Frenzy seems stupid, but on the other hand why not 3% per level and can leave you with option to make your own ratio of magic:physical dmg on Frenzy. 25/75% 50/50% 75/25%. Which would not be possible with 1% convert per level.

1 Like

Barb is jam packed with useless or copycat skills, and Increased Stamina has to be the worst “useless” skill in the tree. Requiring it for any sort of damage synergy is going to feel bad. In general, skills should be reduced to 2 synergy bonuses, or a 60 hard point investment at max.

How about adding this additional synergy…

• Increased Stamina - rename to “Increased Resilience,” and now adds +1% FHR per level and add new Iron Skin synergy of +1% physical damage reduction per level

I still think increased stamina offering +FHR fits the fantasy better and now with new synergy with iron skin could really benefit defensive-oriented characters. Adding +raw attack rating should be left to weapon masteries. See below for adding CB to Bash.

We could simply throw in CB per level, in addition to flat damage and AR increase. In terms of melee skills, Bash is the worst in the game. If we were going to add CB to any skill, it’s most fitting and thematic for Bash as the brute strength of the Barbarian is unrivaled…

• Bash - now grants 1% crushing blow per level, increase flat damage to +3 (up from +1) and increase +3 per level (up from +1). In addition, attack rating starts at 50% (up from 20%) and increase at 10% per level (up from 5%)

I’m already proposing to remove Taunt synergy and freeing up 20 points for Frenzy. This is the same treatment for Vengeance, remove Salvation synergy to free up 20 points. I understand where you are coming from, but requesting more may be too much.

On the other side - me still thinking Increased stamina with flat attack rating fits better. I imagine 2 MMA fighters fighting for too long in the ring. They have lower focus and miss more than hit. There my flat attack rating goes. And its more practical effect - since Barb has lot of % AR, but lacks good AR source. It will pair up nice with % AR bonus on masteries+skill barb has.

This can be at least “SOME” help for the skill that dev could implement, but its too miniscule to have any impact I think. I would rather pick it up if it Always hit but had no CB or low dmg, than have low CB but cant hit always.

1 Like

Always hit doesn’t fit the fantasy of Bash, but adding CB does with Barb’s brute strength. If anything, Concentrate would be the skill for always hit mechanic and fits the theme nicely. Would you support adding the always hit mechanic to Concentrate?

Reading the lore of Concentrate -
“Sometimes a series of blows is not nearly as effective as a single, concentrated strike. A Barbarian trained in this skill learns how to focus his strength into a single blow that cuts through the guard of an enemy and slices through their armor. This technique also puts the warrior in a superior defensive position.”

Yes I read that lore few days ago and I immidiately tought of Always hit. It would make for a great skill afterwards I think and fits the lore perfectly. Adding it to Concentrate will “fix” Concentrate for good for eternity i think. But that seems way too good afterwards.

The line “cuts through the guard of an enemy and slices through their armor” means rather Ignore block chance and/or defense rating of enemy and still apply attack rating mechanics. That would make it interesting mechanic, since monsters and bosses usually have 15-50% block chance on Hell.

Bash I would maybe play it if it starts at 5% CB as 1-point wonder against bosses on playthrough. Then at least 2% CB/lvl increase. 1% CB/lvl seems too small amount to even use it on bosses instead your main attack skill like Frenzy WW Berserk Concentrate Leap attack Doublethrow Doubleswing.
You can craft Strength rw for cheap for 25% CB and use rather your main attack than Bash.

3 Likes

Most points are a fever dream. I am truly sorry but none of this will happen.