[Runeword] Obsession should +all 6 or 7 all skills to outplay HOTO/Spirit sword + Spirit shield, which also adds block

Literally, now we don’t have any reason to use Obsession.

Spirit sword + Spirit shield: +4 all skills + 70 FCR(or a little bit less) + a little bit of block, but very cheap
HOTO + Spirit shield: +5 all skills + 75 FCR(or a little bit less) + a little bit of block, Vex + Ko + Pul being somehow expensive
Obsession: +4 all skills + 65 FCR + no block, as it’s two-handed. Using Zod, the rarest rune. And I haven’t seen any natural 6s war staff ever. You need Lazurk.

Only when it’s +6 or +7 all skills, I would consider using it, due to the difficulties to get a Zod.

12 Likes

This is exactly what I thought. I dont understand why they make runewords that have no benefit over the existing options. Like throwing an inferior option on the table will sway others to use it…

8 Likes

Forget HOTO + Spirit. Just double Spirit (something you can get on your first character with minimal farming) is almost as good as Obsession (Zod+Ist runes).

Just throw something like -(15-20%) enemy fire/lightning resist, +(15-20%) cold damage on it. Don’t be afraid to make super expensive staves good enough for end-game use, that’s why they’re supposed to be super expensive…

8 Likes

I rather have that than more + skills

4 Likes

Now when I think of it, maybe dev team believe that Zod is very cheap in the market, while
Vex(26) + Ko(18) + Pul(21) are more difficult to get due to high demands so it makes sense to some extends. But Zod is still at top tier expensive, due to its rarity. Maybe a little bit cheaper, maybe not the most wanted like Ber, but not as cheap as Vex and Pul, for sure.

We may at last still stick with double Spirit, as you said… So cheap and accessible.

1 Like

With the very elusive Zod, I would like to suggest the developers consider adding the following to the Obsession Runeword:

• +10-15% To Cold Damage
  • -10-20% To Enemy Fire Resistance
  • -10-20% To Enemy Lightning Resistance

Lasty, would be nice if they buffed MF to 100%. Thoughts?

3 Likes

What makes this rune word really solid is that you can put it in a staff with +3 (insert skill) and +3 (mastery) and end up with +7 to the skills of your choice. Having +7 all skills plus the staffs base skills would be ridiculous, even if it were 6x Zods.

Zods have previously been pretty cheap and not that hard to get because of chams being useless, but they will spike this time with the focus on cham in new rune words.

5 Likes

I used the DPS Calculator to test all types of sorceress.
All experiments are equal FCR Frames and all experiments are buffed by Merc’s Infinity

1. Cold type (Blizzard)
    Obsession (Blizzard 3, cold mastery 3, glacial spike 3) vs Death fathom (5/-5)/spirit
    Result: Death fathom had a much higher DPS
  2. Fire type (Hydra)
    Obsession (Hydra 3, fire mastery 3, fire ball 3) vs eshuta’s (5/-5)/spirit
    Result: eshuta’s temper was slightly higher DPS
  3. Lightning type (lightning, chain lightning)
    Obsession (3 Lightning, 3 Lightning Mastery, 3 Chain Lightning) vs Eshuta’s Temper(-5/5)/spirit
    Result: This time obsession had slightly higher DPS, but it changed depending on the monster type. For monsters with high lightning resistance, such as Chaos santuary’s Storm caster, Eshuta’s temper’s DPS was slightly higher.

Bad Runeword design, needs a little more buff to get people’s attention

7 Likes

Just curious, did you consider trying Crescent Moon as an Eschuta’s alternative in the Lightning test?

I’ve already tried Crescent Moon, but the results didn’t change much
The only difference was that the DPS against high Lightning resistance monsters was particularly high.
And for other monsters, DPS was much lower than obsession.

It doesn’t sound that bad at all when it’s around the mark with top end damage items with 5/5 facets while also giving 60-70 all res and 20% life.

It’d be interesting if they added +1 to Energy Shield and +~10 to Telekinesis oskills to Obsession. The numbers can be changed for balance of course.

Agree. I would never use this runeword. When I look at it, the stats are just meh. And no shield.
This should be the Grief of caster runewords to become useable.

2 Likes

Don’t forget FHR and MF
I know there are advantages to other options, but the problem is that the price is too expensive and weak compared to other gears.
To put it simply, the cons outweigh the pros.
So I think it needs more buffs like +All Skills or -Enemy Resistance or It is also good to change Weaken to Lower Resist.

1 Like

It’s not intended to be the BiS choice, though in my opinion it really deserves the spot there as it requires a Zod + a really hard to find base (which is the really difficult part) to really make it into that spot, and the fact that you will only have +7 skills for up to 3 skills (and +4 for the rest).

That said, it is a well rounded runeword that has good survivability - +25% life, +70% resists, +60% FHR and chance to cast weaken - and modest magic/gold find. However, considering the rarity of this runeword in its top-end form, I think it wouldn’t hurt balance to increase the +skills from +4 to +5.

For reference the runeword details are below.

Obsession
6 socket Staves - (Zod + Ist + Lem + Lum + Io + Nef)

• Indestructible
  • 24% Chance to cast level 10 Weaken when struck
  • +4 To All Skills
  • +65% Faster Cast Rate
  • +60% Faster Hit Recovery
  • Knockback
  • +10 To Vitality
  • +10 To Energy
  • Increase Maximum Life 15-25% (varies)
  • Regenerate Mana 15-30% (varies)
  • All Resistances +60-70 (varies)
  • 75% Extra Gold from Monsters
  • 30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Dbrunski already made a video comparing Obsession to standard setups. In almost all cases standard setups was better even with the +3 to main skill and + 3 to one of its synergies

4 Likes

I thought the philosophy of ladder exclusive runewords was to give players overpowered runewords on the cheap side of cost. It’s like “Hey come play ladder and you can make these amazing low level runewords that cost nothing to make and are more powerful than non-ladder items!” Now I feel like they are trying to make use of ZOD CHAM runes which are not as valued but still hard to find runes, but they are putting them into low powered recipes. It’s fine to give them more use, just put them in BIS gear so their value actually goes up.

1 Like

For sorc/other chars, what skill can we get from a war staff?

A big problem with this staff is the FCR. If it had 5% more FCR then sorceresses could hit the 200% fcr breakpoint without the use of griffons. That immediately opens it to fire/cold sorceresses. It also needs a bump on the magic find to make it have a more usable life for MF characters. After all, it is using an IST rune.

Obsession needs 5% more FCR, 30-70% more magic find, and either +1 skills or a combination of -fire/light and + cold skill.

This is a very interesting runeword but is is missing the mark compared to items which are all easier to obtain.

I really want to use this item but I don’t think its going to be worth it which is sad because it could be the first real “meta” change up for the sorceress in a long time. My proposed changes would look like:
Obsession
6 socket Staves - (Zod + Ist + Lem + Lum + Io + Nef)

• Indestructible
  • 24% Chance to cast level 10 Weaken when struck
  • +4 To All Skills
  • +70% Faster Cast Rate
  • +60% Faster Hit Recovery
  • Knockback
  • +10 To Vitality
  • +10 To Energy
  • Increase Maximum Life 20-25% (varies)
  • Regenerate Mana 20-30% (varies)
  • All Resistances +60-70 (varies)
  • 75% Extra Gold from Monsters
  • 60-90% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (varies)
  • -10% Enemy Lightning Resist
  • -10% Enemy Fire Resist
  • 10% Cold Skill Damage
3 Likes

Or just use Zod by any means; searching the existing runewords not in use and found Obsession, because we are lazy. Ha. They said they would start to use Zod, and now we have this. Huh.
But I think +life/mana by % is really original. I don’t remember seeing this on other runewords too often, making it an identity. But that’s it.