Remembering the old days

I was running nightmare today, and an Iceblink dropped. Anyone else remember when that was the armor of choice for a fun, OP build?

3 Likes

Shame that the game has turned into everyone running around with the same few runewords

5 Likes

I remember back in days when Lod was released (2001) so much new stuff comes up and all cool runewords you could do!

I was so happy when i make 2 socktes armor with Nef-lum - “Smoke” that was good armor, i think still good for low level =)…

1 Like

Ice blink is insane good on act 2 merc for normal or even NM playthrough.

1 Like

Huh, that is end game gear which is hard to obtain as a solo player… not sure how a level 22 unique not being used for end game chars is a bad thing?

People fail to realize that when it comes to PvM you can easily dominate with all yellows and blues yet people feel pidgeon holed to get the cookie cutter gear enigma/spirit/coa/hoto/arachs… just ignore and build your character the way you want, it is more fun that way. If you’re PvP then play in a specific league like Zeal v Zeal where items like Grief are not allowed… otherwise if you’re trying to pub stomp you can’t blame everyone going for the established best gear…

Otherwise non-expansion crowd is always looking for more players, you can look forward to finding a silks of the victor…

1 Like

Not saying it is good or bad - just remembering the old days. :smiley:

I bought the game at release, and played every version. Truth be told, I like the game better now, but even so, I still miss some of the old things. I do kind of wish I could play my old WW barb again.

2 Likes

Its because those later items are just flat better than yellows and blues, letting you dominate harder. Don’t blame players for maximizing fun in a video game, you’ll lose every argument every time. The issue here is that those items are not common enough to make the game popular in modern times. Couple that with the most optimal way to find those pieces of gear is to solo farm, and you have a recipe for the toxic game that we have now where no one plays together, and trades are extremely lopsided.

1 Like

wormskull, ume’s lament, wall of the eyeless

1 Like

Azurewrath crystal sword…

1 Like

you guys sound like you should start classic^^

1 Like

Yeah, runewords ruined the game

But with a little bit of dedication the devs could bring back fun in Unique items

They could easily make Unique upgrade recipe also upgrade the version of the Unique, giving them more flavour

I think upgrade recipes that boost the current uniques would add some flavor to the item builds. My only issue with increasing the power level of current items in game is that there isn’t really any content that warrants such an increase in power level.

Obviously the power level of itemization should remind equal or under the current level

So technically, no upgraded Unique weapon should be better than Grief, the best weapon

Otherwise it would be powercreep

Diablo 2 doesn’t need vertical empowerment but rather horizontal one

It’s 1999/2000 circa sorc, mate.
Iceblink, Chances, Goldwrap, Culvens, Tarnhelm, Eye of Etlich, 2xSoj, Gemmed Pavise, rare boots. xD

Iceblink made you immune to cold damage at one point.

Yes, i used to run that on my lance barb in d2 act4 end game.

1 Like

Iceblink, lance, and the Vampire Gaze . What was the leech back then - was it 15% 15% or 20% 20%? I can’t remember. Barbs have never recovered from that nerf, and the immunities.