Questions about IK set

Hey Barb experts,

I have the full set how do I make this thing work? I literally leveled a barb to use the whole set cause you know it’s cool and I wanted to use him to farm Travincal. I tried it and it killed so slow and my mana gets dry.

What do I put in helm and weapon sockets? some say Shael rune? some say put 40% ED jewel but do they even exist? the max ED jewel I have is like 16 and the rest are 10s.

What build are you trying to use? WW does better with weapons that can hit the last break point for hit checks which leads to more hits. IK maul needs 30% additional weapon ias to hit the last break point, so you can use 2x shael runes or 2x damage%/15%ias jewels, if which 40%ed/15%ias is the max.

If you’re not using WW, then just going straight damage in the maul probably is best. The IK set gets nice resistance bonus so usually hitting resistance isn’t an issue, but you can add gems or runes to the helm sockets to add resistance for anything you’re low on. You can also use rubies to add life or amethyst to add strength (which lets you put more hard points in vit). Ptopez for some mf of also popular.

While not necessarily the best, IK set barbs can do pretty much anything in Hell so not sure why you’re having issues. What rings, ammy and charms are you using? What do your stat and skill points look like?

So first off, if your mana is running dry your using WW wrong, or moving through the packs wrong. 10% mana leech keeps my bubble full unless I’m killing nothing but skellies/ghosts, or I run into a boss pack with mana drain.

Run a Ravenfrost ring in one slot, and something in the other with AR and dual leech. Highlords ammy is BiS. I found mine, but you can trade them for reasonable prices.

2 shael’s in the hammer for max breakpoint speed on your WW. Attack speed in your other gear doesn’t matter (though you’ll get 25% from the gloves). If you have IAS jewels, you can socket them there. but Shaels were easy for me to get, So I ran 2. Use what you need to get that 30% on the weapon.

40% ED jewels are rare. average is 30, try to find some with at least 30ed and something else for your helm (they can drop with 2 affixes). or slot Topaz in the helm for some extra luck on drops.

Plus using WW effectively is one of the biggest things, and if you don’t any WW barb will run dry. Few tips:

1. learn the triangle pattern for bigger groups. WW a triangle on the outside of the pack while your merc keeps them busy.
  2. Merc tankyness is important. You don’t need him to survive, but he helps out allot with pack placement.
  3. Do not ww through the pack: whirl on the outside of the pack. Learn your weapons range, and get used to being just close enough to tag the mob group. ww through the pack and you’ll probably hit 50% less often.
  4. people talk about short whirls for “better” damage, but that’s relative. if you run out of mana, you do no damage. learn to adjust your ww length with each pack. Start out long, and shorten it if there’s no danger and your mana can handle it. At low levels of mana leech, it’s better to whirl once across an entire room hitting 5 mobs then it is to whirl short just to hit 1 or 2 mobs more.
  5. Try to target the ground on your whirl. If you target a mob, you’ll stop once you get to them, and most likely not hit that mob at all. This can be deadly if the targeted mob moves into the middle of the pack, and you stop there. Especially with mana burn. So click the ground.
  6. Long ww is critical for survival on mana burn packs. it allows you to hit more mobs, which means more mana leech per ww, and it will ww you out of mana burn range. This is another one you need to just get used to.
  7. if you run into a mana burn pack of undead, see if there’s non-undead nearby and run around to group them both up. the non-undead will allow you to leech mana on the longer whirls through the pack.

Overall, I run my IK barb with the above gear and my merc has reaper’s toll, Tal Rashas helm, and a random rare elite armor, and he can tank 50+ cows in hell, and there’s nothing that can stop me outside of a fanatic mana burn undead pack with lightning gloams on the side. And even then I can take them down with my merc if I’m careful.

1 Like

Oh, there’s another WW tactic I forgot to mention (and that post was getting way too long). Parallel pathing.

just whirl back and forth in a line. This works well in situations where the triangle woud be tough. Like in cows, my merc can group up a ton, and usually the pack is big enough that it’s hard to form the triangle, so I tend to go back and forth in a line with an open path.

A variation of this is the zig-zag, where you zig-zag just bit, leading the pack along while you nip at their edge. Works well when your merc is down or distracted or just plain picking his nose off in the corner.

Oh and last tip i swear. Make sure your hit chance is high enough. If you only have a 60% chance to hit, your whiffling 40% of the time, which are missed leech attempts. Aim for 85% or higher. Level matters…lvl 76 is still 8-10 levels lower then act5 hell, so you’ll miss allot until your level gets up there or you have crazy attack rating.

I have a level 90 tal set MF sorc so I’ve most of the good stuff.

Man seems like blue jewel with 40 ED is just as hard to find as some HR… insane.

Is you’re using WW I would just put 2 shaels in for the speed. Then if you find 40%ed/15ias jewels the shaels are at least cheap enough removing them from the maul with the cube won’t sting too badly.

My legacy IK WW barb uses BK ring and raven frost. Typically you use Highlord’s Wrath ammy unless you are short on AR, in which case Metalgrid helps a ton. The ML you get from 5 piece set bonus should be more than enough to sustain WW.

I also shop Anya or Mala in act 5 hell to get echoing weapons that have +3 barb war cries. Put 2 on switch and your cries get +6 and way cheaper than cta which has limits to how the skills work so they don’t boost barbs better anyway.

yeah so I’m probably whiffing too much to proc my life/mana leeches, and definitely not IAS.

so I will 2x shael weapon, and for helm just wait for good ED jewels?

Do you have maxed resistance in Hell? If so, you can add Ed jewels for more damage or Ptopez for more mf or Pruby for more life or Pamythest for more str (lets you put fewer points in strength so you can put more in vit for more life.

If you need resistances, you can use the helm sockets to add runes that give the resistance you’re low on.