Question Time: how much time you think it would have took to PD2 devs team to create the same terror zone feature that D2R devs took 6months to create and is now delaying 2.5 release?

Question Time: how much time you think it would have took to PD2 devs team to create the same terror zone feature that D2R devs took 6months to create and is now delaying 2.5 release?

A day?

Days?

A week?

Weeks?

A month?

Months?

My personal guess is a weekend with a couple of energy drinks and a lot of self control to not make it as lacklustre as it is currently lol

Idk their devs but this should be question of few days with team of people.

You can’t compare software development with modding. Plus they did bugfixes, and new runewords have been anounced for every ladder, and i highly doubt the D2R team is still that big, multiple devs for multiple months are extreme costs, and there are no DLC or micro transaction or anything.

3 Likes

I sure will, won’t defend AAA against basement devs

That they introduced themself in the first place

Pretty sure Pez has said that all we know about 2.5 is what 2.5 is… so no new runewords

Don’t be surprised that their new runeword promise every ladder is broken right after them breaking their 4months ladder promise lol

So is the PD2 team and so are so many great indie games dev teams

And it’s not like they are making a new game, it’s just adding to an existing one, even Zax can do that easily

Peter Hu did 1.10 all by himself in 3-4 months, your argument is invalid or just confirms their lack of skills as devs

Yeay why don’t you just follow zax example and make your own mod, so we can have some peace here meanwhile.

And just to get an idea of what amount of costs we speak, assume monthly 1.5k$ (which is very low for experienced dev), taxes double that for most Western countries, are 3k. For half a year 18k. So now you assume we have a full team, idk say 12 people working half a year for 200+k? Delusional.

1st: they are the ones that made everything possible to prevent D2R modding, therefor taking the ball on game improvements

2nd: why are you talking about 12 people when I gave you the 1.10 example with 1 guy… the biggest patch the game ever had

3rd: how much PD2 devs cost to PD2? Nill
Experienced devs are working on D4, why can’t they throw intern at It?

4: refer to “1st”

Won`t take 6months for a big devteam, but we dont know how much devtime D2 gets these days. Our patches might not be the biggest priority for the company.

I`d say terrorzones are a lot more complex than the maps of PD2. I assume they started with “99grind is stupid, how do we change it”. Then they worked out some ideas, decided to focuss on terrorzones and started working on that.

how you want to scale it, where and with what values and so on. PD2 has fixed lvls for their maps, Terrorzones does lvl 1-96. That requires a lot more attention to get right and they didnt just take the normal scaling they use for NM/Hell, it has different values.

Ideas take time, choosing the right idea takes time and so does implementing them

There are also bugfixes in the patch, there was also 2.4.3 patch with lobbychanges during season1 + WW change… Its not like Terrorzones is the only thing they did since ladder1 started

1 Like

well senpai something is making pd2… and i know for a fact he is a complete jerk, which is honestly the reason i wont touch the game.

but form what i know of greendude who made path of diablo. ( the mod senpai something took 90+% of pd2’s stuff from) ( no thats not why he is a jerk… thats more personal)
these aren’t as fast as you would think

this is not a “Day” or “week” change

this change would take a couple weeks for sure
i mean sure in a new game you could set it up much quicker… but using old code?.. this isnt some simple task

you need to change a monster level based on your own level… there are a ton of zones and each monster would needs to level set individually.

sure in a new game you could design a monster lvl system form the ground up

if
terror zone
then
monster lvl = player lvl
else
monster level = static (function)

but monster levels are static in this game.
drops are based on monster level
sure it “sounds” simple and it would be in a new game if you were creating code from the ground up. but thats not where VV is, they are using the old code with an overlay.

so unless u have a way to automate the process, it will take a while entering all the data

1 Like

Why did my past posts about PD2 get deleted and my account suspended for even mentioning them, but here this is?

a week or less
:100: :smiley:
ok 202020

maybe im out of touch with gen z but…
wtf does 20202020 mean?

this is like the 5th time i have seen it

also… umm
“get off my lawn”??

2 Likes

I’m assuming to get around the 20 character post minimum.

Great movie by the way. :slight_smile:

It would take Grinding Gear Games a weekend.

ohhhh, that makes sense. thanks

I initially felt the updates they’ve announced are underwhelming and still waiting for the release to judge things while I sit on the fence, but…

It’s not just development time that they’re spending on this.

The terror zones feature idea was born out of people’s frustrations of the first ladder, which that frustration wasn’t felt and vocalised in the community until about 1 week into ladder when people were actually playing it.

Then they would have needed to conceive and design the solution that would solve this new issue. Then there are balance implications and technical challenges that need to be considered.

Development of this feature I doubt would have even started during the first 4 weeks of the first ladder season.

And then on top of that all the announced bug fixes, which doesn’t include the other interim updates that they’ve worked on and have already released over the past 4 months.

So, feel free to judge all you like, but just have a little perspective.

2 Likes

They have the forums filled with solutions… they even copied terror zone based on my Natalya bounty suggestion lol

You are giving them too much creative credit

And even before season 1, endgame concepts adressing this were roaming around

And even before season 1, people expressed issues with ladder race to 99/ total disinterest

https://strawpoll.com/fkpz3exx9

They still will have needed to sift through and evaluate them as well as come up with their own ideas to solve this issue.

I haven’t seen your idea or know where this thread is, how do you even know they even read what you wrote, let alone copied it?

All that poll indicates is people (of a sampling that is unknown) were more interested in other features than the ladder race. It certainly doesn’t point to the same problems that were not observed until ladder actually launched.

1 Like

In terms of hours I bet the D2R devs do it faster.

In terms of days PD2 would be faster due to that game being their only focus.

This is really a question of how many man-hours were spent on it. If only one or two persons was working on it, 6 months sounds like a good amount of time.

We are assuming they were working on it for the past 6 months also.

Additionally, they could have had 10 ideas that didn’t work before finally deciding on this one.

Ultimately, I promise you no time was wasted.