Please revert 2.5 Sunder Charms Nerf

I am relatively new to the D2 endgame world, only really getting into it with the release of D2R, so this is from a casual players perspective. In fact this is my first post here, that’s how strongly I felt about the topic.

After playing season 1 for a few months and trying various builds and characters it seems to be a clear to me that magic is king as there are little to no immunities with cold Sorceress and lighting builds with infinity coming in 2nd (but still amazingly good). Everything else I have tried just feels frustratingly slow or requires insane gear and as far as I can tell can’t break or easily break immunities?

So for me, the announcement of Sundered Charms was awesome! Finally, I could play any character and with any element and not be restricted to just a few areas in the game because of immunities.

Im not even sure I’ll play Season 2 now as I’ll just be playing the same builds I was playing last season which isn’t very exciting.

Please Blizzard could you consider reverting this nerf and letting us play the season with original Sundered Charms or at least reducing the nerf!?

30 Likes

Diablo 2 isn’t for everybody. And you should not be wanting to come here to change this game to be just like every other game out there when it is already a near extinct breed. Us players who enjoy such a game should be allowed its existence.

You may not be aware, but if you have all the gear you want in the game, there is no longer a reason to log in. Trying to expedite that makes no sense. You will no doubt have fun for a week and then move on to some other game, leaving a completely dead Diablo 2 in your wake.

36 Likes

Boadach, I have to agree with OP. This change brings things back to the way they were. Not as interesting. People want to try out new builds. A lot of people do not like this change for many good reasons.

25 Likes

Damn yo. Blizz removes immunities and the casulz still be complaining. It’ll never be enough

21 Likes

What exactly is the issue? That some builds will be more OP than others? Blizzard should just nerf whatever build is currently OP (cold sorc?)

1 Like

Fishymancer (Physical + Fire) can easily break immunes and doesn’t really have a part of the game where they can’t crush as Amp pretty much breaks all physical immunes. Necromancer’s main issues are that you want certain types of areas to farm more than any immunity issues.

They’re needing to balance the “One build to rule them all” from the really heavy meta players and the casual desire for “one build that can do everything.” I was personally willing to give Sunder Charms as presented a chance even though not breaking the “1/5th rule” (until it’d be broken anyways) was what I thought should be done as it still allows for clearing all areas by build but also gives a reason to do many builds over time.

Honestly… I would have liked to have at least messed with the charms with lower builds for awhile prior to this announcement just to see how well non-top builds benefited and then tweaked from there.

This whole thing started due to Holy Paladin issues and then spun from there.

2 Likes

The way I see it that some players enjoy playing their fantasy class and when they see, hear or read about other meta classes that (in my opinion) are well designed to deal with all content of this game, they get mad and demand a nerf because their class cant compete with the Meta nor do they want to change the way they play. Which is fine because I don’t think there is a competitive aspect to this game. It’s not an esport.

I think the devs want to bring up underperforming classes, but to do that they would have to front load a lot of work. PVP needs a lot of tuning and its own dedicated balance separate from PVM.

4 Likes

That’s why I am not playing Diablo 2, I am playing Diablo 2: Resurrected.

I was sold this game with the promises of seasons, updates, and changes - essentially making it an entirely different game…eventually.

Diablo 2 is still there for people like you who want the original, pure experience.

The way I see it is that Resurrected is for people like me who want the same game but with a breathe of fresh air, with continuous updates and changes each season to keep it interesting with modern mechanics and balances for 2022 and beyond.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be opposed if they did what they did with Hearthstone and have seasons for vanilla D2 to keep people like you happy and seasons with updates to keep players happy like me who love things being mixed up and fresh, within reason. Granted this would split the player base but it keeps everyone happy. It would be a good way to gauge which is indeed the more popular game.

I’ve been playing diablo a long time and realise this, no need to be patronising with such obvious info on a diablo forum. I’ve logged many hours into D1, D2 (just not end game until now) and many more into D3 - I was invited to the PTR for D4 soon which I am super pumped about and will be jumping right in.

My main gripe with diablo 2 is that it is not equal for all classes and elements. I’ve quickly noticed you can gear a cold sorc and hammerdin and basically farm hell with ease with little to no hard to find items. Other classes or elements, such as fire or barbarian having a much, much harder time to get to this same point of farming hell.

You should be able to play any class or element and have it be equal - preferably to be able to farm most areas - I don’t want to make 3 different characters to be able to farm all the areas each season.

I feel like most average players are like me and don’t have time to do this, we have kids, families, jobs etc. So for me I have one character, and as of now can only play about 1/3 of the areas in the game in Hell, unless I play hammerdin, which is silly.

Blizzard needs to make a decision and make it so that all characters and elements can either farm some areas with resistances/immunities walling off some areas or that all characters and elements can freely farm all areas after finding the necessary items to mitigate immunities.

I think people like me, which there seem to be a lot of, thought that sundered charms would solve this - giving us the keys to farm all areas with any character. Granted they seemed a bit too OP but with some more tweaks and minor nerfs could be great. Right now they have totally seemed to nerf them into the ground.

10 Likes

Ohh good one!

:100:

I must agree with you. 1/5 penalty is too much for the investment required. Especially when Sunder charms gave players negative resistances to dangerous elements.

6 Likes

then u shouldn’t play season 2… you shouldn’t play diablo 2

if u cant have fun with the game then done play it… don’t try to absolutely destroy it just because u don’t like how it is.

saying " i don’t like how it was" so im not ganna play…
GOOD THEN DON’T

if u don’t like the game why are u playing it…
you cant come in here google a couple builds for 1 season and then pretend you know whats good for the game.

what do u think its better for blizzard to lose? people like you who never enjoyed the game in the first place.
or the people who LOVE this game and played it for 20 years?

LEAVE. go play a game you enjoy… and stop trying to ruin the game for others.

we have played this game for longer than u may well have even been alive. and for well over half of those years… there were no changes… if u cant enjoy a game without it changing then don’t play it.

8 Likes

It always been like that, monsters that got broken are less effected by conviction and lr. 80% less thats why we never been able to break cold for example. you maybe make new builds viable at the same time you make others even more strong.

I am referring to using Infinity for areas with light immune. It’s no longer worth using that runeword. There is also the possibility that 1/5 effect is always active even on non-immune monsters. “Says 1/5th effectiveness even after” the monster is sundered.

yes it still is imo. 20 less resistences on the enemy is a big amount of dmg with 30k+ lightning.

Damn swift wasn’t you the one who didnt want to play this season because of how sunder charm was. Im ok with the 1/5 effect etc but the disparity between builds is even more flagrant.

1 Like

The goal was no immunities and open up other builds as viable and now they will be. You can go fire or anything you want now

The goal wasn’t remove all top tier min-max builds. That is impossible

Jester you seem like a smart person, you read the sentence just like I did. It says, “Even After”, like after the monster immunities are broken, you will also get the penalty. Right? Preposition. Despite, irrespective of, notwithstanding.

yes that was me… i quit d2 as soon as they announced sundering charms, i have 20 years of game knowledge.

and yes i WILL come back now.

my complaint never was “the removal of immunties”

it was HOW they did it

it was taking a previously immune monster and giving it NEGATIVE resists because convictions -85% + facets + items

because it blasted apart the already huge gap between melee and caster so much that during testing i wasnt even have to REACH a single monster as melee before it was dead…

i LITERALLY couldn’t keep my feral rage up on PTR because i couldn’t get another hit on monsters IN A TERROR ZONE because they died before i ever even reached them.

so yes that ABSOLUTELY killed the game.

and its still a huge buff to elemental casters but at least even at endgame they will have like 30 resist instead of -100 and i can still get some swings off and participate in the killing
and before everyone has endgame gear i can do even more.

i was against “immunties” i was never against " removal all resistances"

they CAN’T power creep this game because melee CAN NOT KEEP UP WITH CASTERS

1 Like

Yeah my excitement went down a little bit too (wanted to try fun build), but I think it’s all right like this also in the meantime, hope they balance cold a little bit.

1 Like

i mean i just hope you see that… when melee chars cant even reach lvl 99 monsters before they die to casters… we arn’t ganna play…
if i cant attack im not playing…

thats what the prevoius version of charms did.

they LITERALLY made melee builds unplayable in a party during endgame.

and i have nothing i can say here to people tho thinks that should be allowed again… without breaking TOS anyways

The 1/5 effectiveness on Conviction and lower resist doesn’t mean that this is overly weakening. It just means that you cannot just get a Sunder Charm + Infinity and be a god in the game. You have to get your -enemy resist from other things. Like the -15% fire on flickering flame, or stack up a few rainbow facets. This was done to allow the Sunder charms to open up all areas to a build. But, you have to gear yourself outside of the traditional meta to really make use of them.

1 Like