Perfect Teleport NERF

Its simple, decrease range:

• just make Teleport a ranged skill with very short range at low lvls, ofc range/radius would be increasing with +skills. Any diminishing returns/progressive cooldowns or recharges wouldn’t be needed.

Add improvements (optional);

• dont allow to cast through walls,
  • add -100% resistance to fire/light/cold after casting for 1sec., decreasing by 4% per +lvl, 24lvl = 0.

Sorc meta - fixed
Enigma - fixed
Boring Telespam fest - fixed
FRW - activated
Slower gameplay as we loved - activated
Max res + abs abusers in PvP (optional with -res ) - fixed

EZ

24 Likes

The only good nerf is no nerf.

Fix problems by buffing other classes/skills/items.

47 Likes

Won’t ever fix the problem, mobility is absolutely prime in a game like this.

Personally don’t care either way, i fixed the problem years ago playing HC where willy-nilly teleing means going splat.

10 Likes

There should be some sort of D2 IQ test required before being able to post and if you don’t pass it, you save everyone a headache from reading topics like these because you won’t be allowed to post

19 Likes

Yeah imagine people playing builds people figured out 20 years ago on softcore thinking they’re smart.

“I found big hammer does big number, big number good, i r genius.”

6 Likes

First and foremost, you should state the problem that you’re trying to solve with the nerf. Some of us already know, but there are others that don’t and will take this the wrong way.

A few issues:

This will slow down the overall pace of finding items over long stretches of time. I think a nerf of this nature that reduces overall movement velocity should also be met with buffs to drop rates.

The second more glaring issue is this makes teleport much less attractive to use for non-casters who don’t as commonly use teleport to get around. It’s not a big problem for sorcs/hammerdins that already have a lot of +skills, but for the odd bowazon with enigma (they do exist) who sacrifices more for the privilege of teleport or anyone who uses teleport charges gets heavily penalised by this change. A nerf to teleport to try and make mfing more palatable for non-casters is actually going to have the opposite effect.

Perhaps a solution there is separate teleport FCR tables for all classes?

And lastly, teleport is a reliable skill in that where you click is where you move to. A range cap on teleport while nerfing its velocity, will also have a nasty effect when used as a utility skill/situational teleports or when fast precise teleports are needed. So not only does it slow down teleports, it makes the skill harder/less reliable to use in a pinch.

The best solution seems to be for now a workaround to make mfing locations more easily accessible for non-teleporting characters, which I think 2.4 is trying to create… but it also needs to be met with higher monster density.

2 Likes

Literally just putting a CD on it would fix the whole issue. Not saying its going to happen. Just saying its not some huge puzzle for Blizz to solve.

They just don’t want to deal with the crapstorm redditors will stir if they do it.

4 Likes

That’s a bit elitist. People learning the game are just as welcome to post as much as veterans.

5 Likes

Nah, he figured out Hammerdins are good in Diablo 2. He’s obviously a different breed we should bow down to.

There is no problem to fix, please go play Lost Ark and leave us alone.

11 Likes

This would be more important than the range nerf. But yeah, Teleport can be nerfed in many different ways, to make it more balanced.

That could be reasonable yes. Not to effectively increase drorpates, that really should not happen imo, but to make it similar to what it is with teleport being OP.

Supposedly not if it is re-balanced through droprates.

Also, while teleport nerf can be a short-term improvement, a further improvement could be to give all classes some better mobility options (but of course not to the degree current teleport is).

Yeah, a short CD seems like the easy, and efficient, solution.

4 Likes

Yep just a 2-3 seconds casting delay, like Meteor has or something.

Funnily it would still be above and beyond the best utility spell in the game. It would just slightly close the gap between having it or not and require some thought to use now.

There’s a reason nobody ever complains about Tele Staves/Amulets. They’re not mindless to use.

But like i said, never going to happen. The devs would literally recieve death treats if they did that, its just the kind of community this game has fostered. We had an example of it in this thread already.

1 Like

Anybody who thinks teleporting is OP should be required to spend an hour going through Durance 3 with a teleport that has a cooldown on it. I mean, the thought is bad enough that I wouldn’t want to put anyone through it even for the one-time quest completion much less have to do it every time when farming.

Or to put it another way, it would be dumb to nerf teleport without completely overhauling large parts of the endgame, which are built entirely around the expectation that people will be teleporting through them one way or another (either with Enigma, Sorc, or Naj’s staff).

3 Likes

No imo

You buff everyone to the max and the game is too easy.

Easy is boring.

Nerf sorcs and pallies, done deal.

5 Likes

Yeah, and that worked really well in D3… Until they hit the 64bit signed integer wall for the greater rift guardians health pool. Now they have no choice but to nerf overperforming builds. :laughing:

1 Like

IIRC, the reasons why Durance 2 was increased had more to do with the Map Hack allowing you to proceed straight to the next level.

Anyway, I disagree that large portions of the game were intended to be skipped. It would be even worse if it was only “easy” to do with Enigma or a Sorc. Really, if you were supposed to skip those areas, it would have been easier to put Way Points next to bosses.

5 Likes

You aren’t skipping a game if an item in the game allows you to travel faster.

What kind of logic is this?

3 Likes

The devs WANT it to be tedious in durance…which is why they made it so big in the first place after people were farming meph in 2 seconds flat.

1 Like

Went through Durance plenty of time in HC, don’t teleport like an idiot there cause teleing in the middle of a pack of dolls is instant-death.

Its called just playing the damn game.

Besides that, Mephisto farming not being the go-to ez-mode gearing method for the first time since i started playing this game in MIDDLE SCHOOL would actually be a decent change of pace.

4 Likes

Durance 2 is a special case with its own history, but I was just pointing it out as an example of something that would be unbearable to do runs on without not just a cooldown free teleport but some source of FCR on top of that. I think it’s bad game design for multiple reasons, but won’t get into it here because it would be a bit of a tangent.

A better example would be WSK. If you’re playing solo there’s a very good chance that it’ll spawn enemies immune to your damage and regardless of what the initial intent might have been, the only way to do it now is to just skip them. It’d be one thing if players were skipping things that they could at least theoretically do, but in this case, if you put a cooldown on TP the only outcome would be that if you’re running Baal you’ll just be standing still taking damage for no reason between teleports.

I suspect this would be a hard no for a majority of people - the idea of nerfing teleport and forcing them to waste time idling in a level without some other change to offset that. For example, the game reading their character file and intelligently spawning enemy types that aren’t immune.